Windows 10 Questions

Rayhaan Jiwani

Hello Forum,

I have many questions before upgrading to Windows 10. Some of the questions are also for clean installs. It's for the backup machine (HP Pavilion dv4)

1) I don't know if I need to make a backup (just the Documents Folder) but if I do need to, how do I go about it?

2) I have Office 2007 and I want to continue using it. How can I retain it?

3) I don't know where I can download the metric ton of custom HP drivers.

4) I don't think I will but if I do change the drive, how do I install Windows 10 without paying for it?

5) What do I do if I want to reinstall Windows 7? The key is an OEM one. Is there anywhere I can download a w7 Home Basic OEM ISO? I have the System Reserved and HP Tools Partitions.

Thanks! :)

CPU: i5 4690K @ Stock                GPU: Asus GTX 970 STRIX @ Stock      SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB (OS and Drivers)     Headset: Audio-Technica M20X

Case: Corsair Obsidian 250D        RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB LP             HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB                                         Mouse: Logitech m185

OS: Windows 8.1 OEM                 PSU: Corsair RM650                                Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97N Mini ITX                         Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K65 RGB

Hello Forum,

I have many questions before upgrading to Windows 10. Some of the questions are also for clean installs. It's for the backup machine (HP Pavilion dv4)

1) I don't know if I need to make a backup (just the Documents Folder) but if I do need to, how do I go about it?

2) I have Office 2007 and I want to continue using it. How can I retain it?

3) I don't know where I can download the metric ton of custom HP drivers.

4) I don't think I will but if I do change the drive, how do I install Windows 10 without paying for it?

5) What do I do if I want to reinstall Windows 7? The key is an OEM one. Is there anywhere I can download a w7 Home Basic OEM ISO? I have the System Reserved and HP Tools Partitions.

Thanks! :)

1. Use windows 7 backup utility and manually select the folders you want to back up. 

2. You should be able to reinstall it using the disk once in win 10. 

3. HP drivers are pretty standard... as long as you know how to do driver updates you should be fine. 

4. The motherboard is the only thing you can't change and still keep the same copy of Windows. 

5. There is an option in settings to rollback to windows 7. 

PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM SPEAKING ON KNOWLEDGE I HAVE FROM BETA BUILDS. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

Everything upgrades with your copy, You may need to reinstall your graphics drivers depending on wheter or not you've updated to the Windows 10 compatable ones yet.

Install was a dream for me, worked fine. 

Question 4 and 5, I'm not too sure on, I'd just say go ahead and do it, you won't look back. Windows 8.1 was great (For me anyways) and Windows 10 is being just as good with no problems appart from Cortana only working for people in the US.

Happy upgrading! :D

Gamer & PC Enthusiast

Gaming Community's TeamSpeak: ts.the-eux.uk

If I've helped you out, Click that "like" button to show me some love :)

SNIP

I don't have the disk. It came preinstalled.

CPU: i5 4690K @ Stock                GPU: Asus GTX 970 STRIX @ Stock      SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB (OS and Drivers)     Headset: Audio-Technica M20X

Case: Corsair Obsidian 250D        RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB LP             HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB                                         Mouse: Logitech m185

OS: Windows 8.1 OEM                 PSU: Corsair RM650                                Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97N Mini ITX                         Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K65 RGB

SNIP

But what about the stuff like the HP Webcam App, etc.?

SNIP

BTW, I'm running the 32-bit version of w7 right now. I it ok if I download the 64-bit?

1. Use windows 7 backup utility and manually select the folders you want to back up. 

2. You should be able to reinstall it using the disk once in win 10. 

3. HP drivers are pretty standard... as long as you know how to do driver updates you should be fine. 

4. The motherboard is the only thing you can't change and still keep the same copy of Windows. 

5. There is an option in settings to rollback to windows 7. 

PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM SPEAKING ON KNOWLEDGE I HAVE FROM BETA BUILDS. 

So If I wanted to change from AMD build that I have to a new Intel chip with new Intel MOBO I loose the free windows 10 and have to purchase another windows 10?  

AMD FX 6300 Black Edition, ASRock 990FX Killer, 16GBs Memory @2133, 2 MSI R9 270x's in Crossfire, NZXT Kraken X41 Cooler, Samsung 850 pro SSD, 1 TB HDD, EVGA Supernova NEX 650 G, and with 4 other fans.

So If I wanted to change from AMD build that I have to a new Intel chip with new Intel MOBO I loose the free windows 10 and have to purchase another windows 10?  

Thats the only thing that will force a reinstall besides the HDD. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi.