Job interview tips...

TheKDub

So today I got called back by office depot for a job interview tomorrow, and have been trying to figure out what I need to wear and what I need to take.

What would you guys recommend I wear (more specific than "clothes" or "fancy shit"), and what would you recommend I take to the interview?

Thanks!

(Serious answers only please.)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Really depends on the job.

Edit: I'm an idiot.

Ummm, a collared shirt and khakis?

Church attire , similar to what they wear. Cell phone off, plenty of sleep and be nice. Glhf.

So today I got called back by office depot for a job interview tomorrow, and have been trying to figure out what I need to wear and what I need to take.

What would you guys recommend I wear (more specific than "clothes" or "fancy shit"), and what would you recommend I take to the interview?

Thanks!

(Serious answers only please.)

Lucky bruh, i applied online, and still nothing. Been 2 weeks.

when they ask you on the whole "what is your worst feature/ weak point/ problem" be careful on your answer because that is describing something bad about yourself.

EDIT: sorry, did not read op entirely

either a casual look with jeans, a nice collard shirt and some decent shoes, no sneakers.

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

At my last job interview, I wore a polo shirt and jeans. Be professional and respectful and answer the questions as best as you can. One last tip: Be honest.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I would think semi-formal. 

Maybe a shirt with a collar, dress pants or similar (no jeans) and casual shoes.

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

If you go to Church it's probably more like that. I'd wear a polo with khaki pants. Don't wear a fancy tux or suit either, you don't want them to think you're inferior than them. Also handshake before and after, if you're seated in a room waiting for them, stand when they come in and greet them.

it best to wear formal office wear

that is white long sleeve shirt and black biz pants, black leather shoes (tie and coat is optional)

go for a proper hair cut and shave your facial hair (you are not a caveman)

prepare yourself by reading the background of the company and the job position roles and responsibility 

oh yes turn off your phone right before the interview!!! i got one call before and the interviewer was not impressed even though i apologized 

be honest and answer to your best ability and apologize if you cant answer the questions

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Any job interview:

a plain color, long-sleeve shirt that isn't shouty

dress pants

a tie

dress shoes + black socks

a belt

Don't just think "Oh Office Depot doesn't matter what I wear"

For interview:

Good eye-contact and presentation of yourself

Know your resume

Know the job requirements and don't try to go too far beyond them

Have strengths/weaknesses and all the other usual interview question answers cued up

Have some questions for them 

System: Thinkpad T460

Any job interview:

dress pants

a tie

a belt

pretty much this

I scored a temp job at LucasFlims but i still came in office wear even though the staff wear like t-shirt and shorts to work

Business casual.  Collared shirt (short sleeves acceptable), some form of dress pants.  No jeans.  No need for a suit or tie for that type of interview.  Interview with Microsoft...yeah that was full suit and tie.

Make sure your socks are the appropriate color for your pants.  Dress in a well lit room, comb your hair, and look at yourself in a mirror.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

If you go to Church it's probably more like that. I'd wear a polo with khaki pants. Don't wear a fancy tux or suit either, you don't want them to think you're inferior than them. Also handshake before and after, if you're seated in a room waiting for them, stand when they come in and greet them.

I do go to church, though I also wear jeans and a tee shirt or jacket when I go lol.

Well, I don't own khakis, so that's out the window..

it best to wear formal office wear

that is white long sleeve shirt and black biz pants, black leather shoes (tie and coat is optional)

go for a proper hair cut and shave your facial hair (you are not a caveman)

prepare yourself by reading the background of the company and the job position roles and responsibility 

oh yes turn off your phone right before the interview!!! i got one call before and the interviewer was not impressed even though i apologized 

be honest and answer to your best ability and apologize if you cant answer the questions

I plan on shaving before I leave for it lol, though I highly doubt I will have time to go get my hair cut seeing how the interview is at roughly 2PM.. (tomorrow)

I guess I'll basically be wearing my suit except without the tie and coat lol.

Lucky bruh, i applied online, and still nothing. Been 2 weeks.

Hehe, I applied 10 days ago and just got called today.

Any job interview:

dress pants

a tie

a belt

Is the tie needed? I've only got two, one is a bunch of random colors, and the other is plain black.

Thanks to everyone who has answered so far!

Anyone have suggestions on what to take with me? So far I plan on taking two copies of my resume, some pens, and myself, idk what else I need...

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Have some questions pre-prepared to ask at the end of the interview.  Something that shows you might vaguely give a shit about working there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bloomberg+business+week+office+depot&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=office+depot&tbm=nws

Turn any of those into "what's you opinion on XYZ".  It gets them to talk to you informally.  It seems Staples possibly acquiring office depot is a big thing right now with them.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Is the tie needed? I've only got two, one is a bunch of random colors, and the other is plain black.

Nobody you know has a striped tie or something?

Wouldn't wear a shouty tie or a black tie + white shit because people associate that with funerals and stuff. 

No tie would be fine in that case. A black tie can work with a different colored shirt though.

Nobody you know has a striped tie or something?

Wouldn't wear a shouty tie or a black tie + white shit because people associate that with funerals and stuff. 

No tie would be fine in that case. A black tie can work with a different colored shirt though.

Alright, I'll go with no tie then, thanks :P

pretty much this

I scored a temp job at LucasFlims but i still came in office wear even though the staff wear like t-shirt and shorts to work

I've gotten a bit lax with wearing mostly polo + khaki at my internship though haha

So much crap advice in this thread...  :o Here is some generic advice:

Go in a suit that is freshly ironed/pressed and above all clean - do not go in teenage cloths. Make sure that you are also clean and that you smell good. First impressions are everything and will set the tone for the whole interview to come - screw this up and there's no recovery. Ensure that you remain yourself and that you never moan or say anything negative about previous employments or your life in general. Try to make them laugh or at least smile and always ask questions when appropriate. Hold eye contact with at least each member of the panel and keep your body language under check - you'll be using it to say much more than the verbal component so make sure you are saying the right things with it. Once you have learned how to control this then you can start to use it to manipulate your situation better but that will come later. If there is a tour component try to engage with other staff/customers (in a positive way) if you can and once again ask questions when appropriate. Try to never allow silences to form, these yield negative impressions.

Parting etiquette is usually to thank the interviewers for their time and to ask about when you will likely know the outcome. Sometimes HR may be present, that's when you get to ask but not negotiate potential benefits and salaries. Sometimes not as this will form a separate negotiation component that is usually carried out later by phone. One must play it by the situation as all companies are different.

I interviewed one student once and I will never forget the experience. She was wearing baggy dirty teenage cloths, didn't even take her coat off and spent the whole interview talking to her hands - when she even had er eyes open that is. It's as uncomfortable for the interviewer as it is for the interviewee.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

never ever ever ever ever ever forget to take your clothes off

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Well, heading out for my interview, thanks to everyone who suggested stuffs! I'll reply again later with how it went!

Alright, to me it went pretty decently, we'll see in a few days if I get called back for a 2nd interview..

#TriplePost lol

Got a call for another job interview for the 2nd place I applied at... It's just gonna be a battle between the two for who gets me next...

If office depot calls me back for my 2nd interview and they decide they want to hire me, I'll go for it, otherwise I'll go with the other one lol.