Lenovo Z40 VS ASUS X455LJ

Ken739

Techie guys come over here! Need Help!

I need to choose with one of this pls help...

Guys assume both have same midrange specs. Which one will you go? And why also please? Or recommend specs will do. Share your experience in using one of this.. Any info about what you know in both laptops.

Budget: $800

I appreciate your feedbacks!

I would go with the ASUS laptop just because ASUS.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I would go with the ASUS laptop just because ASUS.

Can u further tell more WHY?

Can u further tell more WHY?

I've had nothing but good luck with ASUS stuff.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I've had nothing but good luck with ASUS stuff.

What do you mean?

What do you mean?

That I've had nothing but good luck with ASUS?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

That I've had nothing but good luck with ASUS?

Do you mean Asus is a bad product?

Do you mean Asus is a bad product?

nonononononnonononononno I love them.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

nonononononnonononononno I love them.

What! ....!

What! ....!

What?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

I believe you're misunderstanding the way tmcclelland said he's had nothing but good luck.  I'm going to guess that English isn't your first language, so the grammatical nuances might be lost in interpretation.  Basically he's saying he's never had a bad experience with ASUS products, i.e. nothing but good experiences.  Can't really explain it if you don't understand, I'm no good at explaining that sort of thing.

Anyway in regards to the X455LJ.  I just got the X555LJ a couple of weeks ago which (based on the system specs on the ASUS website) is pretty much the same thing, just slightly bigger and with more storage and more USB3.0.  Check the spoiler for some pros and cons.  Don't expect to do any heavy gaming on it, but if it's for work/school and occassional light gaming/older games, the performance is more than adequate.

Pros:

- somewhat decent battery life 4h~ on balanced, 6+ on power saving.  

- The keyboard isn't too mushy and while having a bit of flex (as pretty much everything does), it's fairly decent due to the use of aluminum rather than plastic as compared to my old Toshiba.

- i5-5200U is fantastic, ever so slightly more powerful than the i5-2450M in my Toshiba, but miles ahead of it in terms of thermals and power consumption.

- Cooling is great, seriously cool and relatively quiet even under light gaming loads. (Lego Star Wars - it only has a GTX 920M, so nothing fancy) ranging from 50-70C.  Idle temps around 30-40.

- Pretty damn light - only slightly over 2kg.  Also pretty thin and compact, making it very portable for a 15 inch laptop.

- Speakers are decent for a laptop.

- Wake up from sleep mode is seriously quick (usually 1-3~ seconds, 5-10~ if in sleep for extended time)

- Solid construction, decent hinges, doesn't have a whole lot of flex, yet is nice and light.  Not ultrabook premium quality, but pretty good for a laptop.

- Solid range of connectivity options.

- Full size arrow keys + numpad

Cons

- meh TN panel, but I didn't expect anything amazing considering how it is priced.

- lack of separate left and right click keys from the touch pad.

- hard drive is kinda slow (probably 5400RPM) (i.e. boot times and kinda bottlenecks data transfer from external drives) and is loudest thing in the system, which is fairly quiet otherwise.  Will swap it out for an SSD eventually.

- ASUS bloatware.  However considerably less than any HP computer I've ever used.

- Ram and hard drive not easily accessibly.  Well ram is, but there's a weird plastic thing covering the screw which I'm guessing is a warranty voidance thing, but can't really tell, so I haven't touched it.  Kinda stupid place to have one imo.  On the bright side, it is surprisingly easy to disassemble.

- Comes with McAfee pre-installed.  1 free year already activated.  But nope not dealing with McAfee or Norton, ever, ever, ever.  Uninstalled that immediately.

however, those cons are mainly trivial, and you'd likely experience most of them with any similarly priced laptop.

CPU Intel Core i7 7700K; Cooler Cryorig R1 Universal; MB Asus ROG Maximus IX Code; RAM G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz (4 x 8GB); GPU ASUS GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix Gaming OC; Case Be Quiet Dark Base 900 Pro Silver; Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB; PSU EVGA Supernova 850W G2; OS Windows 10; KB Corsair K70 (MX Brown); Audio O2 & ODAC, Sennheiser HD 600, Sennheiser RS 185, Swan M200MKIII; Monitors 2x Dell U2410

Previous Build

CPU Intel Core i5 4690K; Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212X; MB Asus Z97-A; RAM G.Skill Sniper (2 x 4GB); GPU 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming (SLI); Case Corsair Obsidian 450D; Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Black 1TB, Hitachi 750GB; PSU EVGA Supernova 750W G2; OS Windows 10; 

I believe you're misunderstanding the way tmcclelland said he's had nothing but good luck. I'm going to guess that English isn't your first language, so the grammatical nuances might be lost in interpretation. Basically he's saying he's never had a bad experience with ASUS products, i.e. nothing but good experiences. Can't really explain it if you don't understand, I'm no good at explaining that sort of thing.

Anyway in regards to the X455LJ. I just got the X555LJ a couple of weeks ago which (based on the system specs on the ASUS website) is pretty much the same thing, just slightly bigger and with more storage and more USB3.0. Check the spoiler for some pros and cons. Don't expect to do any heavy gaming on it, but if it's for work/school and occassional light gaming/older games, the performance is more than adequate.

Pros:

- somewhat decent battery life 4h~ on balanced, 6+ on power saving.

- The keyboard isn't too mushy and while having a bit of flex (as pretty much everything does), it's fairly decent due to the use of aluminum rather than plastic as compared to my old Toshiba.

- i5-5200U is fantastic, ever so slightly more powerful than the i5-2450M in my Toshiba, but miles ahead of it in terms of thermals and power consumption.

- Cooling is great, seriously cool and relatively quiet even under light gaming loads. (Lego Star Wars - it only has a GTX 920M, so nothing fancy) ranging from 50-70C. Idle temps around 30-40.

- Pretty damn light - only slightly over 2kg. Also pretty thin and compact, making it very portable for a 15 inch laptop.

- Speakers are decent for a laptop.

- Wake up from sleep mode is seriously quick (usually 1-3~ seconds, 5-10~ if in sleep for extended time)

- Solid construction, decent hinges, doesn't have a whole lot of flex, yet is nice and light. Not ultrabook premium quality, but pretty good for a laptop.

- Solid range of connectivity options.

- Full size arrow keys + numpad

Cons

- meh TN panel, but I didn't expect anything amazing considering how it is priced.

- lack of separate left and right click keys from the touch pad.

- hard drive is kinda slow (probably 5400RPM) (i.e. boot times and kinda bottlenecks data transfer from external drives) and is loudest thing in the system, which is fairly quiet otherwise. Will swap it out for an SSD eventually.

- ASUS bloatware. However considerably less than any HP computer I've ever used.

- Ram and hard drive not easily accessibly. Well ram is, but there's a weird plastic thing covering the screw which I'm guessing is a warranty voidance thing, but can't really tell, so I haven't touched it. Kinda stupid place to have one imo. On the bright side, it is surprisingly easy to disassemble.

- Comes with McAfee pre-installed. 1 free year already activated. But nope not dealing with McAfee or Norton, ever, ever, ever. Uninstalled that immediately.

however, those cons are mainly trivial, and you'd likely experience most of them with any similarly priced laptop.

You choose that laptop for portability isn't? Comparing the two laptops the Z40 vs X455LJ. Lenovo is heavier but the graphics card of Lenovo is much more significant than the Asus. ( gt840m vs gt920m )

More accesible through RAM, HDD etc. Those are the thing I know. Any additional?

By the way I will just use it at home. I won't carry it any where.( except inside the house )

You choose that laptop for portability isn't? Comparing the two laptops the Z40 vs X455LJ. Lenovo is heavier but the graphics card of Lenovo is much more significant than the Asus. ( gt840m vs gt920m )

More accesible through RAM, HDD etc. Those are the thing I know. Any additional?

Mainly yes. I was waiting for the Surface Pro 4 to be released but got sick of waiting and got this on sale instead.  Needed something portable for uni.  The 840 still isn't that great, it's only a DDR3 card so it'll still deliver rather meh gaming performance if you try and run somewhat recent games.

By the way I will just use it at home. I won't carry it any where.( except inside the house )

In that case I'd get whatever has more power as long as it cools decently.  Although if I were only using it at home I'd just go with a desktop, far better performance/$, even a low end pc with a 750ti will stomp all over an 840m

CPU Intel Core i7 7700K; Cooler Cryorig R1 Universal; MB Asus ROG Maximus IX Code; RAM G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz (4 x 8GB); GPU ASUS GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix Gaming OC; Case Be Quiet Dark Base 900 Pro Silver; Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB; PSU EVGA Supernova 850W G2; OS Windows 10; KB Corsair K70 (MX Brown); Audio O2 & ODAC, Sennheiser HD 600, Sennheiser RS 185, Swan M200MKIII; Monitors 2x Dell U2410

Previous Build

CPU Intel Core i5 4690K; Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212X; MB Asus Z97-A; RAM G.Skill Sniper (2 x 4GB); GPU 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming (SLI); Case Corsair Obsidian 450D; Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Black 1TB, Hitachi 750GB; PSU EVGA Supernova 750W G2; OS Windows 10; 

Mainly yes. I was waiting for the Surface Pro 4 to be released but got sick of waiting and got this on sale instead. Needed something portable for uni. The 840 still isn't that great, it's only a DDR3 card so it'll still deliver rather meh gaming performance if you try and run somewhat recent games.

In that case I'd get whatever has more power as long as it cools decently. Although if I were only using it at home I'd just go with a desktop, far better performance/$, even a low end pc with a 750ti will stomp all over an 840m

Yeah I was planning for a desktop too but I don't know what are the good once

Desktop will be better, recommend something please

Any by the way I don't play hardcore games. I do play something when I'm no doing any thing but gt840 would be enough I believe

Are you into the build it yourself thing or would you be after something pre-built?

If you're after a pre-built, I don't really know many decent pre-built affordable desktops.  You'd be best hopping onto your local online PC parts shop and seeing what they offer in terms of pre-configured systems.  Most "affordable" desktops from Dell, HP, etc. are a bit rubbish and overpriced, or are silly AIO PCs (which are often just laptop hardware strapped to the back of a monitor in a fancy chassis), so in most cases I wouldn't recommend those.

If you're looking at ordering the parts and building it yourself you should be able to get a something fairly decent on an $800 budget, say an i5 4460 and any decent AMD 200 series card (270X or higher) depending on pricing and availability.  Best to have a look through the new builds and planning forum and see what sort of configurations have been suggested there and see if that's something you'd be interested in doing. http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/

Previous Build

Are you into the build it yourself thing or would you be after something pre-built?

If you're after a pre-built, I don't really know many decent pre-built affordable desktops. You'd be best hopping onto your local online PC parts shop and seeing what they offer in terms of pre-configured systems. Most "affordable" desktops from Dell, HP, etc. are a bit rubbish and overpriced, or are silly AIO PCs (which are often just laptop hardware strapped to the back of a monitor in a fancy chassis), so in most cases I wouldn't recommend those.

If you're looking at ordering the parts and building it yourself you should be able to get a something fairly decent on an $800 budget, say an i5 4460 and any decent AMD 200 series card (270X or higher) depending on pricing and availability. Best to have a look through the new builds and planning forum and see what sort of configurations have been suggested there and see if that's something you'd be interested in doing. http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/

I'm looking for pre-build : )