AT&T/DirecTV Merger Approved By FCC, Net neutrality and more fiber

jos
 FCC approved the acquisition on the condition that the new company expand its fiber optic broadband Internet access service to 12.5 million new locations and agree to a few other items. The new conglomerate company is also prohibited from ostracizing video services such as Netflix from the same service everyone else receives. The company must disclose all information and comply with independent and external compliance officers who will report and monitor the company's activities to ensure these conditions are followed.

That is a good way of enforcing net neutrality

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/fcc-approves-at-t-directv-merger,29673.html

Let's hope they actually expand rather than just not do it like they did back in the early 2000's.

Well fiber is three cities away from me. Let's hope they decide to expand it to me :)

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I have AT&T U-Verse(75d/8u) and have DirecTV. It'll be interesting to see what happens over the next couple of months. Rumors have it that AT&T is dropping their U-VerseTV via cable and just doing satellite instead.

We might drop DirecTV, but we'll see how this plays out before.

I wish this would apply to my area, although deep down I know it won't

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

As long as net neutrality does it job I have no complaints

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

They should have set a deadline of some kind for the fiber expansion. With a large fine if that deadline is violated.

That's one of the problems with government making this kind of deal, they never set anything that will guarantee the companies behave.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I'm pretty sure that AT&T will still have their stupid data caps. Good thing this merger doesn't affect me.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

That is a good way of enforcing net neutrality

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/fcc-approves-at-t-directv-merger,29673.html

I suppose, but this sort of policy of allowing companies to expand further and further into a monopoly (or a duopoly in this case I suppose)  just leads to the type of corporatism you find in China where you have these giant companies that own the entire country and are controlled by the ruling political party.

inb4 they lay down fiber lines in the area  but don't actually install the infrastructure to allow consumers to use it.