Laptop for college, need help from engineering/physics/comp sci major plss

IshanSethi

Good laptop for college is needed:

Budget:$500 or less

Region: USA, probably north east or the california end.

Major: Engineering, math, physics, computer science, basically a touchscreen laptop that can also be used type on (but you get the point, im still undecided with my major)

Purpose: NO GAMING! just school work, I already have a decent desktop with which I am upgrading the CPU to suit my purposes more.

Things that I need on this laptop:

-touchscreen

-good battery life 

-WINDOWS 10/8.1/7

-Webcam, optional

-touchpad is not a priority so it doesn't have to be good, using external mouse

-good keyboard (easy and fast to type on)

-good build quality, (not top notch, but something that will last for 4+ years)

So far I am looking at the Dell Inspiron 7000, this model specifically: 

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-13-7348-laptop/pd?oc=dncww5018b&model_id=inspiron-13-7348-laptop

It is exactly $500 and I am also getting an SSD for it and I will swap out the horrid 5400 rpm HDD

Anything else that you find that meets the criterion for a cheaper price will be appreciated. As the SSD also costs money.

PC Part Picker: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/hZCypg  ProcessorIntel Core i7 6700k ; MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5RAMCorsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 2400 MHz (spray painted the top part red); GPUGTX 1070 - Gigabyte Variant (Custom painted the Cooler and Fans Red); Case: NZXT S340 (Red); PSUCX 750W  (Bronze 80+); SSD: Crucial 256GB (Boot drive and for applications) and Sandisk 480GB Extreme pro SSD and a Samsung T3 1TB External USB-C SSDHDDWD Blue 1TB, Seagate 3TB (Both Run at 7200RPM); Displays: Asus something (1080p @ 144hz) and LG 27UD68-W 4K 60Hz IPSLaptop: Dell XPS 15 9550 (i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD, GTX 960M)

Pretty sure that keyboard sucks, tried one out at Micro Center. IMO at least. 

Thats dell is a good option other than the shitty keyboard it has

Why do u need a touch screen? Great now ur screen will be covered in all the shit and grease that was on ur fingers, i fucking hate looking at messy screens.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Pretty sure that keyboard sucks, tried one out at Micro Center. IMO at least. 

Thats dell is a good option other than the shitty keyboard it has

Why do u need a touch screen? Great now ur screen will be covered in all the shit and grease that was on ur fingers, i fucking hate looking at messy screens.

I don't need THE BEST keyboard out there, I am fine with a generic membrane keyboard, im sure that I can type fast on it with some time with the laptop. For example, Linus said that in his opinion the steelseries apex membrane keyboard is shitty to type on, but I find it perfectly fine as that is what I have been using for the last past 2 years

PC Part Picker: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/hZCypg  ProcessorIntel Core i7 6700k ; MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5RAMCorsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 2400 MHz (spray painted the top part red); GPUGTX 1070 - Gigabyte Variant (Custom painted the Cooler and Fans Red); Case: NZXT S340 (Red); PSUCX 750W  (Bronze 80+); SSD: Crucial 256GB (Boot drive and for applications) and Sandisk 480GB Extreme pro SSD and a Samsung T3 1TB External USB-C SSDHDDWD Blue 1TB, Seagate 3TB (Both Run at 7200RPM); Displays: Asus something (1080p @ 144hz) and LG 27UD68-W 4K 60Hz IPSLaptop: Dell XPS 15 9550 (i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD, GTX 960M)

If ebay is ok with you I would say get a x230t or if that is to expencive a x220t these suit all your needs 

-touchscreen - well yeah since they are the tablet versions 

-good battery life - a thing lenovo is well known for 

-WINDOWS 10/8.1/7 - pretty sure win 10 will work on both machines just fine 

-Webcam, optional - they often come with a webcam

-touchpad is not a priority so it doesn't have to be good, using external mouse - both have a touchpad and the niple

-good keyboard (easy and fast to type on) - yet another thing lenovo is well known for 

-good build quality, (not top notch, but something that will last for 4+ years) - YET another thing lenovo is known for 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler