Dear laptop manufacturers, why not unplug battery at 100%?

Snorlax

I've been wondering about this for A LONG time. I never thought.. why not ask on LTT?

When you're using a laptop and it reaches 100% battery, you want to unplug it so you won't keep charging a filled up battery.

This is to prevent damage, obviously. Everyone should know this by now. Why don't laptop manufacturers make the battery unplug at 100%, so you can keep the plug in without damaging the battery?

No, I'm not talking about physically deplugging it. Something like an H-bridge/inverter could be used. 

I'm pretty sure this would be doable. Even doable to create a circuit, which would keep the battery attached so the laptop won't power off all of a sudden, if you accidentally unplug the charger.

Bonus question: Does your battery still get damaged if you keep charging it at 100%? I've grown up to this being a thing, but in 2015... I'm not really sure.

Desktop: i9 12900K - 64GB 6000 MHz CL36 - RTX 4090 X3 OC

Unraid server: Ryzen 3900X - 32GB 3200 MHz CL14 - Quadro P2000 - 50+ TB raw

I thought they already stop charging when its at 100%

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Not to my knowledge they don't.

I thought the whole degredation of Li-Ion batteries whilst charging at 100% was a myth?

I thought the whole degredation of Li-Ion batteries whilst charging at 100% was a myth?

Maybe with Li-ion batteries. The old NiCd batteries suffered from this, which is a fact. I don't know about Li-ion.

Too much charging used to be a thing, but modern chargers are able to sense when the batery is full; at least that's the situation with any decent smartphone chargers. I can't imagine laptops would be any different. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Well it usually charges to 100%, goes down to about 98% and then charges back up. Cycles repeats.

~snip~

It's called trickle charging and every modern piece of expensive electronics does it. once it gets to 100% it drops the charging rate wayy down so it just gives it enough power to keep it at 100%

"LTT's official.."STOP. I promise you aren't LTT's official bagel eater or whatever. Trust me. 

Maybe with Li-ion batteries. The old NiCd batteries suffered from this, which is a fact. I don't know about Li-ion.

I had a latop from 95 with a Li-ion battery :/ 

The laptop wouldn't work with the battery, it had to be conected...  <_<

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

My dell charges to 100 goes down to 95 and then starts charging again. It just goes down way too slow takes like a month. Only had it plugged in for that long twice.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Too much charging used to be a thing, but modern chargers are able to sense when the batery is full; at least that's the situation with any decent smartphone chargers. I can't imagine laptops would be any different. 

I'm 99.9% sure my Note 3 has suffered from "too much charging". I always plug it in when I go to sleep, even if it's at 60%. I can barely use it for a whole day now.

Well it usually charges to 100%, goes down to about 98% and then charges back up. Cycles repeats.

My Macbook does this when I game. Surely this is bad?

If its doing it on purpose, I don't see why its bad. But if its stuggling to charge then there is a problem ;)

If its doing it on purpose, I don't see why its bad. But if its stuggling to charge then there is a problem ;)

Definitely! But charging, decharging, charging, decharging on repeat is bad? I don't see why this wouldn't wear on the battery :o

I'm 99.9% sure my Note 3 has suffered from "too much charging". I always plug it in when I go to sleep, even if it's at 60%. I can barely use it for a whole day now.

Good bet would be that the charger is faulty. 

But it's true, Li-ion batteries don't like too much charging. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Yes overcharging (aka not letting it drain) is bad for your battery. This is why most laptop battery slowly loose how much they can charge and will eventually become useless. Always unplug at 100% and let it drain down to around 40-60% before charging it again. Dont however let it bottom out to 1%, this is also bad.

Just dont only use your laptop with its charger.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Yeah sure.......in a 3hr class and the battery would go fast if i didn't had it plugged because of the cooler taking so much power and also the APU.

Yes overcharging (aka not letting it drain) is bad for your battery. This is why most laptop battery slowly loose how much they can charge and will eventually become useless. Always unplug at 100% and let it drain down to around 40-60% before charging it again. Dont however let it bottom out to 1%, this is also bad.

Just dont only use your laptop with its charger.

That's exactly what I thought. I always unplug it at 100% just because of that. Even when I'm gaming (on my Macbook Pro) I unplug it at 100%, because the performance stays the same.

Every charger controller for Li-Ion batteries I ever seen (and I saw a lot due to research at work) does dissconnect the battery with a FET when charged to 100%. Most of them also wait until the battery is discarged to ~95% until they start to rechage.

Also modern Li-Ion batteries don't suffer from the "memory effect" so you don't have to fully discharge from time to time. But the batteries suffers capacity loss when discharged to much. The internal savety circuit not allow a deep discharge, but if you runn the battery to 0% and dont charge it for weeks it falls to deep because of self discharge.

Also the battery is sensitive to heat when fully charged. Since it is bolted to a probably hot laptop, this is not an ideal condition.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Decent laptop will stop charging when it reaches at 100%, and start a very slow charge process if it's at 90-95% and above. Also if your battery is at ~97%+, and you plug it in it won't charge. It might report 100% but it won't actually be at 100%.

Now if you buy a 400$ laptop.. then I can't help you. Sooo many shortcut design used on the circuitry level to make the system to cheap, that who knows how bad things are. It's like cars where if you don't have the radio component installed, some car features, like you know.. the airbag system, doesn't work anymore. A problem for those who do complete car radio replacement (and not just the face plate electronic thing).

this is defiantly a thing, my tablet charger gets hot as fcuk whilst charging, but when my tablet reaches 100% it cools right down.

RIG:FX-6300@4.5GHz 1.4V with Hyper 212 evo with LTT NF-F12:MSI Overclockers R7 260X:4x4B Crucial Ballistix Sport:GA-970A-UD3P:1TB Seagate Brracuda & 120GB Crucial M500(OS and Programs)&Sandisk SSD PLUS(Games) In a Bitfenix Comrade with an NF-F12 as exhaust and OEM case fan as front intake

''time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time''

That's exactly what I thought. I always unplug it at 100% just because of that. Even when I'm gaming (on my Macbook Pro) I unplug it at 100%, because the performance stays the same.

I use my retina macbook pro with the charger most of the time and I only unplug it when the laptop is off. There's nothing wrong with plugging in the adapter when the laptop is running. My battery health is still at 99% after a year of usage though I can see the current max capacity has gone down a bit from 8440 mAh to 8374 mAh. The current charge capacity at 100% is 8225 from 8374 so I'm assuming the battery is smart enough to not overcharge itself while plugged in. Most modern decently priced/branded laptop will do the same thing. As for tablets, I'm not too sure. I only plug it in when the battery is low but even then the battery life of my Yoga 2 tablet is so long, I rarely have to charge it anyway. If anything, use the adapter that is rated for your specific devices. Like phones usually use 1.3amp charger, tablets 2.1amp & etc2..And try to use originals

Windows Battery Charger Icon in the system tray will say "% available;  plugged in, charging"... or if at full charge it says "fully charged"

OS X Battery Charger Icon will say "% remaining;  plugged in, charging"... or if at fully charge it says "plugged in, not charging".

I don't know if it is a hardware thing or a software controlled thing or what, but it does stop charging and begin charging automatically as needed.

The question I have is about Android phones.  WHen my phones are fully charged I get a notification that says to please disconnect cable.  Which makes me think perhaps it is bad to keep some smartphones connected after being fully charged.

They already do that.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Older laptops don't. And I mean way older. If the battery is lithium or any recent battery for that matter, this is true. However, nickel based batteries have the issue of getting damaged by being plugged in when they don't need to be. 

More recent batteries are "smart". This means that after getting close to full, they will stop accepting full power from the charger and allow the battery to trickle charge.

Useful threads: Code of Conduct || Unofficial LTT Beginners Guide || Forum FAQ

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 GPU: GTX 760 MOBO: Asrock Z97 Anniversary RAM: 8GB Adata @ 1600 Mhz Case: Define R4 SSD: Kingston V300 128 GB

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda NAS: 3TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID 1 PSU: EVGA 600B (600W 80+ Bronze) Display: LG 23MP75 (1080p IPS @ 60hz)