Windows 10 install

Hello

When Windows 10 is available for installing, what should I do? Do a clean install or just update? What are the downsides to just updating?

Thanks

No downsides, in fact you keep all of your programs and files and stuff. A clean install, is, well, a clean install.

Dont update... you're just asking for troubles...

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Hello

When Windows 10 is available for installing, what should I do? Do a clean install or just update? What are the downsides to just updating?

Thanks

Do the upgrade to register the device, then reinstall. Upgrades can cause all kinds of problems, but one is necessary for the free upgrade

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

You will want to upgrade then do a clean install if you plan to. You want to upgrade because once you do the upgrade once you register your valid 7/8 license which transfers to 10.

From my understanding from the FAQ, you need to upgrade first, but then you can clean install Windows 10 just fine after that.

It states:

Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?

Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need to purchase Windows 10 or go back to your prior version of Windows and upgrade again.

There is no mention as of yet, if there will be some site where you put your current Windows product key and get the ISO directly. I guess for that, we have to wait and see.

This should answer your questions regarding the upgrading... 

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?

Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need to purchase Windows 10 or go back to your prior version of Windows and upgrade again.

You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.