If ill put a R9 390 on 8x lane graphics slot will it Impact my performance?

Go to solution Solved by BenR31415,

*snip*

Here is it, as best as i can explain it.

PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect express) is the type of slot on a motherboard in which graphics cards plug into. When measuring PCIe lanes, there are two types you need to know about: physical and electrical.

If you have a 16x physical slot, a 1x, 4x, 8x or 16x card will fit in it: in other words, a card with less lanes will fit in a slot with more physical lanes. There are some exceptions to this (such as the ASUS Republic of Gamers series) where the back of the slot is left open to allow for larger cards to fit, for example a 16x card will fit in an 8x physical slot, although it will be limited to 8x bandwith, and these cases are rare.

There are always the same amount or less electrical lanes than physical lanes. In many cases, motherboards (especially in cheaper ones) will have a 16x physical slot, but can only carry 8x bandwith.

You may already know this, I'm just saying just in case.

In answer to your original question, an 8x slot will definitely not limit performance of an R9 390, and you could probably get away with a 4x slot if you needed to.

pls help Im total noob at this. 

I saw on my gpu specifications i need a X16 lane graphics slot (link: http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=C436E37C-8A09-48B6-9F2B-F4AF86E377B6〈=eng) 

i dont really get it. i know there is motherboards with 16x slot and some motherboards have 8x slot or less. 

does it mean i have to find a motherboard with x16 lane slot ? or its ok for me to use a singel card on dual x8 

for example: asus z97-a (link: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z97A/specifications/)

will it open for me the Option to do crossfire in the future without any problems or impact on my performance? 

please help me understand this.

You can use that gpu with that motherboard

Yes you will be able to crossfire,

I would recommend a 850w psu for crossfire ( you can get awway with a 750 )

For a single card, anything above a 500w is fine ( 600w would be ideal )

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

You can use that gpu with that motherboard

Yes you will be able to crossfire,

I would recommend a 850w psu for crossfire ( you can get awway with a 750 )

For a single card, anything above a 500w is fine ( 600w would be ideal )

but for now if i only put a single card in a 8x slot will there be a impact on the performance?

With a single card the slot will run at x16. With two cards the lanes will be split with x8 for each slot.

x8 is still plenty for current graphics cards anyway.

but for now if i only put a single card in a 8x slot will there be a impact on the performance?

A single card will run at 16X, in a 16x slot ( as there is on the motherboard )

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

*snip*

Here is it, as best as i can explain it.

PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect express) is the type of slot on a motherboard in which graphics cards plug into. When measuring PCIe lanes, there are two types you need to know about: physical and electrical.

If you have a 16x physical slot, a 1x, 4x, 8x or 16x card will fit in it: in other words, a card with less lanes will fit in a slot with more physical lanes. There are some exceptions to this (such as the ASUS Republic of Gamers series) where the back of the slot is left open to allow for larger cards to fit, for example a 16x card will fit in an 8x physical slot, although it will be limited to 8x bandwith, and these cases are rare.

There are always the same amount or less electrical lanes than physical lanes. In many cases, motherboards (especially in cheaper ones) will have a 16x physical slot, but can only carry 8x bandwith.

You may already know this, I'm just saying just in case.

In answer to your original question, an 8x slot will definitely not limit performance of an R9 390, and you could probably get away with a 4x slot if you needed to.

If I've said something wrong, please correct me

My Builds:

Peripherals: 
Keyboard: Roccat TKL Pro Cherry MX blue, Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD, Headset: Currently apple earbuds, planning to upgrade to hyperx cloud or hyperx cloud 2 
Really Old Desktop 
 Processor: Intel Core i7 920, Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-FX58-DS4, RAM: 9GB Corsair XM3 (3*3GB in triple channel) 600 or 800mhz, Graphics Card: Asus 8400GS passive, Asus GT630 4GB if i can get it working, Case: Cheapo Throwout case with most of the standoffs missing, HDD: Some old 80GB hard drive, PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 550w, Monitor: 32" Kogan TV, OS: Fedora 13 
 Laptop Which I Use For Everything: 
Processor: Intel Core i5 3337U, RAM: 8GB (2*4GB) 1600MHZ, Graphics Card: Nvidia 710m HDD/SSD: WD Black2 Dual Drive, OS: Windows 8.1 
 40 GB/s Network Tester
Processor: Some really good Intel Core i3, Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3, Ram: Corsair Value Select 4GB (2*2GB) 1600MHZ, Graphics Card: Integrated, Case: Some 1U rackmount mini-itx case with no front bays, HDD: Seagate Momentus 5400, 250GB 2.5" 5400RPM, PSU: Enchance 250W 80+ Bronze 1U power supply, CPU cooler: Cooljag double ball bearing 1U cooler (70DB! 70DB!), NIC: Mellanox 40Gb/s QSFP+ PCIe 3.0 8x NIC, Monitor: any ones lying around, or 32" Kogan TV, OS: CentOS 6.2 (I Think)
Planned 100Gb/s Newtork Tester
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790k, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Impact, Ram: Kingston or G.Skill 8GB 2400MHZ Low Profile, Graphics Card: Integrated, Case: 1U Rackmount ITX case, HDD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB, PSU: Enchance 250W 80+ Bronze 1U power supply, CPU cooler: Cooljag double ball bearing 1U cooler (70DB! 70DB!), NIC: Mellanox 100Gb/s PCIe 3.0 16x NIC, Monitor: Any lying around or 32" Kogan TV, OS: Fedora 22 or CentOS