Well this is something I've never seen before...

Snickerzz

So I bought a mobo off ebay because yolo and it arrived all fine until I noticed that 4 of the 8 ram retention brackets were missing. After speaking with the seller I made myself look really dumb since I took a look at the stock photos for the mobo and it shows only having 4 brackets as well. I've never experienced this before xD

TJWblvN.jpg

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Wow... You've never watch any of Linus' build logs? xD

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

So I bought a mobo off ebay because yolo and it arrived all fine until I noticed that 4 of the 8 ram retention brackets were missing. After speaking with the seller I made myself look really dumb since I took a look at the stock photos for the mobo and it shows only having 4 brackets. 

TJWblvN.jpg

Some motherboards are like that. It does not affect anything, and it's not "missing"

• OS: Windows 10/10 Pro  • SSD: Samsung 256GB 850 Evo Series *  • HDD: Seagate 1TB  • GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING X (SLI)
• CPU: i7-4790K OC 4.7GHz Quad-Core Processor • Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) • PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W
• RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory • Mobo: MSI Gaming 5

Yep this isnt too uncommon these days, its kinda like putting on a ski boot into skis haha. Put the end without the clip in first and snap down the other end with the clip afterwards :D

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

It's actually a good thing, makes swapping RAM in / out much easier when you don't have to potentially bend the GPU to get the lower clips open.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

Wow... You've never watch any of Linus' build logs? xD

No :( I saw his completed one a few years ago.

Some motherboards are like that. It does not affect anything, and it's not "missing"

I know that now :P

This is pretty much standard now (:

pretty standard TBH

since when? I've gone through 3 reletively recent mobos and none were like this.

It's actually a good thing, makes swapping RAM in / out much easier when you don't have to potentially bend the GPU to get the lower clips open.

But now i'm scared i'll screw up the ram/dimm slot xD

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I have that exact motherboard  :lol:

It's pretty standard now it makes installing and removing easier per-say but personally I'm still used to the older double clips.

since when? I've gone through 3 reletively recent mobos and none were like this.

It's mostly just ASUS boards from what I've seen.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

I've seen it on loads of them. It makes sense if you ask me, the double retention clips aren't needed. 

It's more common on mATX and mITX boards I think, as it gives better clearance with the top PCIe lane. Same with X99 ATX. 

So I bought a mobo off ebay because yolo and it arrived all fine until I noticed that 4 of the 8 ram retention brackets were missing. After speaking with the seller I made myself look really dumb since I took a look at the stock photos for the mobo and it shows only having 4 brackets as well. I've never experienced this before xD

I have the same motherboard! It's supposed to be like that.

Asus Motherboard's have that as a feature to make RAM installation easier.

It's mostly just ASUS boards from what I've seen.

Well now it makes sense. This is my first Asus mobo :)

I have the same motherboard! It's supposed to be like that.

Asus Motherboard's have that as a feature to make RAM installation easier.

IMO It makes it harder, the click isn't as audible :c

IMO It makes it harder, the click isn't as audible :c

Yeah, but it makes removing and reinstalling RAM while the motherboard is installed in the case with a GPU easier.

I once reinstalled my RAM and my system wouldn't post, it was because the RAM wasn't inserted all the way into the slot. I wish I could hear a click.

They probably save some cents on each mobo too in manufacturing :P like 1 or 2 Cents, pass the savings on to you= win