Is a tablet enough for college if I already have a powerful desktop?

RYANNOSAURAS

If Microsoft Office is the primary software I'd need for college, would a tablet with MO be enough? I already have a desktop, but for mobility purposes, would a $350 tablet with MO be enough for college? Or should I keep saving for a laptop?

Well, if you have a full fledged keyboard for that tablet, sure, if that's all you're gonna do on it. Typing on the touch keyboard is so weird.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

If Microsoft Office is the primary software I'd need for college, would a tablet with MO be enough? I already have a desktop, but for mobility purposes, would a $350 tablet with MO be enough for college? Or should I keep saving for a laptop?

When I attended University (for the short time I did), I found that my laptop got in the way of my studying in lectures. I'd go for a notebook and pen any day.

A tablet would be an interesting middle ground, though. If there was a pen accessory that allowed you to write notes, that would be pretty sweet.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

When I attended University (for the short time I did), I found that my laptop got in the way of my studying in lectures. I'd go for a notebook and pen any day.

A tablet would be an interesting middle ground, though. If there was a pen accessory that allowed you to write notes, that would be pretty sweet.

Except your palm would be constantly inputting random lines...

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

Except your palm would be constantly inputting random lines...

... what?

I was talking about a pen that allowed you to write your notes as opposed to inputting characters on a keyboard. It would be a direct notebook replacement.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

This comment may change the way I approach college/university. But then again, my typing speed is MUCH faster then my writing, and my organization with written notes tends to slack as the year goes on, so a laptop may not be too bad. Try a Chromebook, I am in the same situation as OP, I already have a built PC, and I need a laptop for mobility purposes. I might go with the best Chromebook for $300 OR I might get a Dell Inspiron 7000 because it is under $500 (atleast the model that I plan on getting) and it is sleek, thin, touch and you can convert it to a tablet... so I think that getting the current gen of Dell Inspiron 7000s as I already have a PC for my main load, but then again, what college are you going into and what will you be majoring in??????????

PC Part Picker: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/hZCypg  ProcessorIntel Core i7 6700k ; MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5RAMCorsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 2400 MHz (spray painted the top part red); GPUGTX 1070 - Gigabyte Variant (Custom painted the Cooler and Fans Red); Case: NZXT S340 (Red); PSUCX 750W  (Bronze 80+); SSD: Crucial 256GB (Boot drive and for applications) and Sandisk 480GB Extreme pro SSD and a Samsung T3 1TB External USB-C SSDHDDWD Blue 1TB, Seagate 3TB (Both Run at 7200RPM); Displays: Asus something (1080p @ 144hz) and LG 27UD68-W 4K 60Hz IPSLaptop: Dell XPS 15 9550 (i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD, GTX 960M)

No, tablets are the worst possible notetaking device.  And a tablet with a keyboard is just a laptop so you might as well get that and all the benefits that come with having a laptop.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

... what?

I was talking about a pen that allowed you to write your notes as opposed to inputting characters on a keyboard. It would be a direct notebook replacement.

Not sure how you write, but I usually rest my palm/bottom of my hand on a surface...I would rather not hold my hand up the whole time I am writing. 

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

This comment may change the way I approach college/university. But then again, my typing speed is MUCH faster then my writing, and my organization with written notes tends to slack as the year goes on, so a laptop may not be too bad. Try a Chromebook, I am in the same situation as OP, I already have a build PC, and I need a laptop for mobility purposes. I might go with the best Chromebook for $300 OR I might a Dell Inspiron 7000 because it is under $500 (atleast the model that I plan on getting) and it is sleek, thin, touch and you can convert it to a tablet... so I think that the current gen of Dell Inspiron 7000s as I already have a PC for my main load, but then again, what college are you going into and what will you be majoring in??????????

My typing is also faster than my writing. But for things like doing diagrams, mathematical problems, drawings, using a laptop becomes a real ball ache.

OP should seriously consider whether he/she needs a laptop AT ALL (depending on what course he/she takes/what he/she's majoring in).

For things like Maths, Physics, Engineering, a laptop wouldn't really help all that much. A desktop is a much more useful thing to have as it's capable of running complex simulations should you need down the road. I expect a laptop would be more useful in subjects like Literature, but I was never great at those subjects, so I cannot comment on it.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

My typing is also faster than my writing. But for things like doing diagrams, mathematical problems, drawings, using a laptop becomes a real ball ache.

The biggest irony is that, in most CS classes, it's pretty much impossible to take notes on a laptop.  Since most of the material is very diagram or math heavy.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

OP should seriously consider whether he/she needs a laptop AT ALL (depending on what course he/she takes/what he/she's majoring in).

For things like Maths, Physics, Engineering, a laptop wouldn't real help all that much. A desktop is a much more useful thing to have as it's capable of running complex simulations should you need down the road. I expect a laptop would be more useful in subjects like Literature, but I was never great at those subjects, so I cannot comment on it.

Yeah I agree with you, and that is why I asked what major he is into... and the Dell Inspiron 7000 is a laptop that is ~$500 and it has a touchscreen, so things like diagrams can be tackled easier. So if you are in a Maths, Physics, Engineering etc. course, then going for a laptop isn't even necessary, tbh, I think it would waste your time and money which could be put towards upgrading OPs PC (If even needed) so he can do things like CAD, Programming or whatever they do in OPs major. But keep in mind, you may not NEEEED an upgrade, your PC may be fine with a notepad and pen. If it is a literature or language arts course, then you may want to have a laptop. 

The biggest irony is that, in most CS classes, it's pretty much impossible to take notes on a laptop.  Since most of the material is very diagram or math heavy.

And having a laptop in some CS courses may help as you can have eclipse or what not, and code on the spot. And also a notepad and pen should accommodate you well in that scenario

PC Part Picker: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/hZCypg  ProcessorIntel Core i7 6700k ; MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5RAMCorsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 2400 MHz (spray painted the top part red); GPUGTX 1070 - Gigabyte Variant (Custom painted the Cooler and Fans Red); Case: NZXT S340 (Red); PSUCX 750W  (Bronze 80+); SSD: Crucial 256GB (Boot drive and for applications) and Sandisk 480GB Extreme pro SSD and a Samsung T3 1TB External USB-C SSDHDDWD Blue 1TB, Seagate 3TB (Both Run at 7200RPM); Displays: Asus something (1080p @ 144hz) and LG 27UD68-W 4K 60Hz IPSLaptop: Dell XPS 15 9550 (i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD, GTX 960M)

For things like Maths, Physics, Engineering, a laptop wouldn't really help all that much. A desktop is a much more useful thing to have as it's capable of running complex simulations should you need down the road. I expect a laptop would be more useful in subjects like Literature, but I was never great at those subjects, so I cannot comment on it.

He can try a 2 in one tablet/laptop, like those folding laptops. Laptop for when you need to type something, and tablet for when you need to draw stuff out and such.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I got a beastly desktop as well but too bad you really can't move between class rooms multiple times a day, couple days a week lol.

I bought a netbook for that purpose alone, write down notes, update course slides on the go. I'd go for a netbook than a tablet or whichever you can type fast.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

I'm in the same situation, and I recently bought an Asus Transformer on Android for my next year at college. I haven't actually used in a class environment yet but I that would I would be just fine. It also costs a lot less than $350. There is a Windows version available but I thought that it wasn't worth it since Android can handle more easily the little RAM and storage available.

I use a acer iconia one 8 for college. I have a Bluetooth keyboard from eBay, and use the Microsoft word app on Android (its free too). I then use Google drive as my documents folder, slowing me to switch between the tablet and desktop instantly.

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

I guess I'll jump in at the other end, and say that note taking on a tablet isn't bad, as long as the tablet you buy has good enough pen/stylus input.

I just did my second year of a Computer Science degree using my Surface as my only note taking device.

Like people have said, does depend on the course you are in, but for me I'd rather handwrite everything onto a Surface over typing it all up.

Partly as I just retain the info better, and also just because anything maths based is going to be more a pain to enter at speed.

To me, its the best middle ground.

I have all the advantages of both sides.

Easy to use etc of pen/paper, with all the digital improvements of backups, undo/delete, handwriting search, moving stuff around pages, unlimited page size.

Here is a quick link to a few pages I did last year, nothing over the top just random lecture notes that I thought showed of some of the versatility over pen/paper and the input accuracy. ( I have my pages at double length A4, so each is 1 double sided print of A4, just to explain the lonngggg pages)

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

I'd save a bit and get a Surface 3 (or even Pro 3 if you can find a deal).

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |