Nvidia = Stupid?

theereal

So, unless youve been living under a rock, you know that Nvidia recently released the 980Ti, my question is, why would they destroy their Titan X sales by releasing a card that is almost as powerful and so much cheaper?

So, unless youve been living under a rock, you know that Nvidia recently released the 980Ti, my question is, why would they destroy their Titan X sales by releasing a card that is almost as powerful and so much cheaper?

They still get more $$ overall.

Because the Titan has more cuda cores, and it's black  :wub:

Because they already know the price competitiveness with the Fury X card.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Because the Titan has more cuda cores, and it's black  :wub:

RACIST!!!  /jk

They didn't, Titan sales weren't that great, the 980Ti sells a lot better, which in the end = more profit! :D

Needed to stay competitive with AMD

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

The Titan X will still sell very well for those that can use as many CUDA cores as possible, and the extra VRAM.  For computational purposes mainly, not so much for gaming.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Because Fury X, they had to release something competitive(price and performance).

Because if they haven't the fury X will rape them in terms of price to performance.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Why not just make the Titan X cheaper? :P

It will be hard to get a 350 dollar price drop in a card, how do you expect retailers to suddenly drop their prices.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

They probably made a ton with that card, now they wanna do the same for the 980ti is my guess.  The whole "milk it for all its worth" thing comes to mind lol.

They aren't actually stupid.

GM200 is a 601mm2 die size (the chip used in the Titan X). Which even though the 28nm process is mature it is still quite a large chip, which means yields aren't perfect. So for every Titan X they make, they will have many chips that are defective that quite cant be used for a Titan X. So what they do is take those defective chips, cut them down slightly, and then sell them as 980 Ti's. It's a recycling process to increase profits.

No because they are people really dump enough to buy TitanX despite 980ti is better choice in terms of dollar and titanX does not have double precision as prevouse gen has it.

Nvidia is not dumb, because they are talking advange of dumb people who buys it.

Titan X still is a power house for work flow applications like video editing n stuff. Linus chose it for his 36 core build for a reason.

Why not just make the Titan X cheaper? :P

They did, it's called the 980 Ti.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

While the Titan X and the 980 Ti are roughly neck and neck in gaming performance

The Titan X supposedly has a clear advantage in other tasks such as video editing and content creation.  I've not seen any benchmarks about this, but that's where a lot of folks are saying the difference exists.

AMD has nothing....

Fury X

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

The radeon fury x is why. That and there's a limiTed number of people willing and able to spend 1000 on a gpu.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

Titan x are not for average consumers. It's a card more for top end business and extravagant industries.

Because it didn't sell all that well, which Nvidia knew even before they released it. Even still, the impressive performance lured in the enthusiasts before they announced the 980Ti which performs just about the same if not better overclocked.

Once the most hardcore enthusiasts spent their money, they released the 980Ti to get the ''second tier'' enthusiasts to spend their money.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum