upgrading from GTX 570 to GTX970

qwertywarrior
Go to solution Solved by CostcoSamples,

The 970 Strix is a very good value.  I love mine.  The 390 is equally good, possibly better.

If you are set on getting a Pascal card, perhaps you could find another used 570 for $50 and go SLI until next year?  Not ideal, but the jump to HBM2 cards with 16 nm (both Nvidia and AMD) is going to be huge.

hi guys

i was holding out to buy a ultra high end pascal GPU coming next year

but i just need something right now

To put it in perspective my ASUS GTX 570 DCUII is almost exactly as fast as a  GTX 750Ti

frame dips are getting frustrating in Heroes&Generals each time i zoom

My question is that i always buy a high quality over built GPU variant because i use them for a very long time   since stock cards dont last as long

im going for a Asus GTX 970 Strix its the only bang for the buck with a non reference PCB

do you recommend this card or should a spent more on a higher end variant

thanks

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Apparently the 390 is the better option from what I've seen from Jays video: 

Depending on the price ofc. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Non reference pcb isn't necessary,

I would get a R9 390.

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

hi guys

i was holding out to buy a ultra high end pascal GPU coming next year

but i just need something right now

To put it in perspective my ASUS GTX 570 DCUII is almost exactly as fast as a  GTX 750Ti

frame dips are getting frustrating in Heroes&Generals each time i zoom

My question is that i always buy a high quality over built GPU variant because i use them for a very long time   since stock cards dont last as long

im going for a Asus GTX 970 Strix its the only bang for the buck with a non reference PCB

do you recommend this card or should a spent more on a higher end variant

thanks

If you care about it lasting get a 390x or 980 or fury. Whatever you feel like paying. And the non reference pcb thing i don't understand tbh it doesn't matter with maxwell unless its power limit is limited on the board. I think the best model of 970 to get would be the gigiabyte one or msi

Apparently the 390 is the better option from what I've seen from Jays video: 

Depending on the price ofc. 

yeah and it will be a lots hotter

LinuxSexTips        :wub:

970 on OC - better for 1080p

390- better for higher resolutions

You must be stuck at 2013 m8

They are a whole lot efficient and cooler now

coming from an Nvidia fanboy

I would still go for the card with the more VRAM, yes I know the 3.5 GB is not really that big of a deal but games can utilize that amount of vram(very rare cases but when it does you'll notice it), the only thing that really puts me off AMD is the drivers with so many games being gameworks titles its not great. Many big releases this year have been poop on AMD, pcars, batman(runs crap on a lot tho), witcher 3. Sure the drivers were sorta there a couple of weeks down the road but I often want to play games straight away. The big titles for the remainder of the year, MGS, battlefront either will run fine on AMD / not nvidia game works titles. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

The 970 Strix is a very good value.  I love mine.  The 390 is equally good, possibly better.

If you are set on getting a Pascal card, perhaps you could find another used 570 for $50 and go SLI until next year?  Not ideal, but the jump to HBM2 cards with 16 nm (both Nvidia and AMD) is going to be huge.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

I would still go for the card with the more VRAM, yes I know the 3.5 GB is not really that big of a deal but games can utilize that amount of vram(very rare cases but when it does you'll notice it), the only thing that really puts me off AMD is the drivers with so many games being gameworks titles its not great. Many big releases this year have been poop on AMD, pcars, batman(runs crap on a lot tho), witcher 3. Sure the drivers were sorta there a couple of weeks down the road but I often want to play games straight away. The big titles for the remainder of the year, MGS, battlefront either will run fine on AMD / not nvidia game works titles. 

Gamesworks has done little to impress. With the recent batman fiasco i seriously doubt nvidia didn't already know the game was a piece of shit.

sli 570s use a shit ton of power... don't know what psu the op has but i doubt he'd have enough power for another 570

thats actually not a bad idea they are really cheap

i have a 1200 watt psu i bought when i was stupid so its fine :P

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

then do that if you can actually find a 570

Some overbuilt cards would be the Gigabyte 970 G1, Zotac 970 AMP Extreme, Galax 970 HOF, Powercolor 390 PCS+, Msi 390 Gaming 8G.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

You must be stuck at 2013 m8

They are a whole lot efficient and cooler now

coming from an Nvidia fanboy

It's literally the same GPU as the 290. If anyone's stuck in 2013 it would seem to be AMD.

If you're going to overclock get the 970, if you're going to rely on stock clock speeds the 390's factory overclock puts it slightly ahead of the 970.

It's literally the same GPU as the 290. If anyone's stuck in 2013 it would seem to be AMD.

If you're going to overclock get the 970, if you're going to rely on stock clock speeds the 390's factory overclock puts it slightly ahead of the 970.

Yeah most 970s get 1500+ on the core and i haven't seen a 970 not get 2k on the mem. My 1600/2100 970 rivals stock 980s.

then do that if you can actually find a 570

yeah ill just buy it used i found one for like 100$

Oh yeah you are good to go then.  Post a wanted ad on your local classifieds site (Craigslist, Kijiji, facebook swap and buy groups etc).  You can sometimes find good deals on used GPUs on ebay as well.  

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Yeah most 970s get 1500+ on the core and i haven't seen a 970 not get 2k on the mem. My 1600/2100 970 rivals stock 980s.

Reference memory speed is 3.5GHz (7GHz effective). It's not that hard to overclock most 970s to match the stock 980.