Small computer, What to do with it?!

I recently bought a case for a small board I had left over from early ASIC Bitcoin mining. It draws less than 5 watts. It's a single core 1.8GHZ with 2 threads, 2 GB ram, and 32 GB drive. I switched the os from windows vista to linux distro.

What are some fun projects I could do with it? I'm wanting cheap projects that don't need a super computer.

First thoughts were to create a donation website that could (maybe) pay for it's own internet. However, a cloud machine would probably out last this physical box.

Second thought was a digital panhandler. So once someone connected to it's open wifi, it would try to entertain them from content submitted by previous strangers. No internet cost with this one, maybe kinda boring though.

Please give me some ideas.

snip

What about a give away :D ? I would want that type of case then build a mini ITX intel build

Also what type of case is that?

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

mining/folding

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Throw it from the highest roof-top while proclaiming your dominance over all technology?

Jk. How bout using it host a media server eh? Seems like it might be just powerful enough. Not a whole lot it can do, that's a pretty weaksauce cpu. But it could do just some simple projects.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

What about a give away :D ? I would want that type of case then build a mini ITX intel build

you would have to mod it first. 

If I'd that case I'd put my Q1900B-ITX motherboard in there. As I use it mainly as game server it's no case xD

This is a signature.

Tinkernut's channel on YouTube has lots of interesting tech related projects

PC gaming is superior to console gaming, but the gamers themselves are neither superior or inferior to one another: they're just people with varying degrees of understanding.

- http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/guide

I also enjoy watching SinusTechTips with @Puke_Lafr (from WAN Show Afterparty)

you would have to mod it first. 

Not really, he'd only need a thin mini ITX socket 1150 mb (because that ones come with a DC power plug) or a Pico PSU

This is a signature.

Not really, he'd only need a thin mini ITX socket 1150 mb (because that ones come with a DC power plug) or a Pico PSU

can i just have the whole system, with free shipping? 

can i just have the whole system, with free shipping? 

Ha... is it because of "only"?

This is a signature.

1. You can use it as a NAS if you have good storage in it.

2. Media server.

3. Printer server i you don't have a wireless printer already or make it even more reliable by making it go through this computer.

4. You could use it to host game servers so they can be up 24/7 (small games).

5. Distributed computing

6. Router firewall.

7. get a card and use if for internet tv or recording tv.

8. try things like linux or just experiment with software.

If I can think of it, ill post more. I have used old pc's for all of the above. the nice ones are the low watt computers so you can just leave it running without worrying about your electric bill.

CPU: Intel i7-8700k 5GHz @ 1.35v | Cooling: EK Predator 360 | MotherBoard: ASUS z370-E | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3200MHz (4 x 8GB) | GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 TI OC

Case: Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra Modded side panel | SSD: Samsung 512gb 960 Pro | HDDS: 3TB Segate 7200rpm / 4TB HGST 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA G3 1000w | Display:ASUS VG248QE 24" / HP 25" 2511x / SAMSUNG 35" TV

Ex HDD: 3TB WD MyBook USB 3.0 | Keyboard: Rosewill MX Blue / Corsair K70 Red | Mouse: Logitech G602 | OS: Windows 10 64-bit Home Premium

Is this thing not fast enough for bitcoin mining? It might be slow, but since it uses up so little power, you might be able to get SOMETHING out of it eventually

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Join the LTT folding team!

Useful threads: Code of Conduct || Unofficial LTT Beginners Guide || Forum FAQ

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 GPU: GTX 760 MOBO: Asrock Z97 Anniversary RAM: 8GB Adata @ 1600 Mhz Case: Define R4 SSD: Kingston V300 128 GB

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda NAS: 3TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID 1 PSU: EVGA 600B (600W 80+ Bronze) Display: LG 23MP75 (1080p IPS @ 60hz) 

Linux! Yes!

do some folding.

Do some Linux tweaking on the thing. Learning how to use Linux will be a great investment for the future, and it's not going to be held back by the substandard hardware (You can run Linux on a toaster.)

• 1 year later...

Wanted to update, this thing was collecting dust for over a year because I had no idea what to use it for. Too small for anything crazy and not small enough for Raspberry pi level projects. When I heard about the Dropbox breach, I finally thought of the perfect task for this thing. Owncloud, personally hosted storage. Perfect to offload photos from my phones and keep important docs synced.

@Ramamataz Sorry long delay, case is Habey EMC-600B perfect for low power mini itx builds