ASRock Gives SATA-Express Purpose With USB 3.1 And Type-C, Also Reveals U.2 Adapter

jos
Front-USB-3.1-Panel_w_600.jpg
The front USB 3.1 panel is a 5.25" device that has a PCB inside, which ends in two USB connections -- a USB 3.1 Type-A port, and a USB 3.1 Type-C port. To power the device you need a SATA power connector, a USB 2.0 header (which is only for power), and you need a SATA-Express port for data.

It uses SATA-Express because it is wired straight to PCI-Express lanes, which connect to an ASMedia ASM1142 controller. Of course, the 10 Gb/s of bandwidth provided by the two PCI-Express 2.0 lanes is split over the two USB ports, so if you're using both at the same time, they'll be fighting for bandwidth (assuming you can get that much data throughout from your client devices). If you're using one device, you'll be free to use the full 10 Gb/s spec on that port.

U.2-Kit_w_600.jpg
The U.2 kit is a simple bracket that converts an M.2 connector to a U.2 connector, which supports the NVMe PCI-Express SSDs that run over four PCI-Express 3.0 lanes, such as the new Intel 750 series SSDs.

Now I can use my existing device for USB 3.1

I want to use both of these in a asrock mini-ITX x99 build.

Asus also has their own m.2 to SFF-8643 called a hyper kit. 

That "U.2" connector looks vaguely familiar *cough* SFF-8643 *cough*

But they just can't use it without giving it a fancy marketing name, can they...

Apparently it was last month that they officially christened it.  http://www.tomshardware.com/news/sff-8639-u.2-pcie-ssd-nvme,29321.html    Personally I liked the official sounding, "SFF-8639" more than I do U.2, but I guess U.2 will catch on better.

I want to use both of these in a asrock mini-ITX x99 build.

Asus also has their own m.2 to SFF-8643 called a hyper kit. 

Wouldn't it take away some lanes from the 16x PCIe slot? Not that it matters, performance wise.

Cool stuff from ASRock. I want there to be an add-in PCIe card that breaks out multiple compatible ports, though.

EDIT: I just found out that VMWare supports these SSDs, if you install the Intel NVMe driver for it (here)

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Wouldn't it take away some lanes from the 16x PCIe slot? Not that it matters, performance wise.

Cool stuff from ASRock. I want there to be an add-in PCIe card that breaks out multiple compatible ports, though.

EDIT: I just found out that VMWare supports these SSDs, if you install the Intel NVMe driver for it (here)

i wouldn't think it would take lanes away. Just because there is only 1 x16 slot, doesn't mean there's 16 lanes. The lowest end x99 processor (i7 5820k) still has 28 lanes. So there is still 12 lanes not being used if you use the mitx ASRock board.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

Some say the U.2 adapter is even better than the real thing.

...Sorry, had to.

for a second there i thought they were using actual U.2 ports

that would have been a big mistake this early in the game

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

That "U.2" connector looks vaguely familiar *cough* SFF-8643 *cough*

But they just can't use it without giving it a fancy marketing name, can they...

U.2 is SSF 8639 connected via PCIE.

Mini-SAS is SSF 8639 connected via SATA (i think)

Reusing connectors isn't that novel of an idea

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it