Is Samsung still good for SSDs

Metro

Hello

I just bought a Samsung 850 Pro 1TB for £270, I would like to know if that there are no issues with it at the moment because I have heard the 840 EVO had problems with trimming and longevity, should I still keep my order on the 850 Pro or should I get another SSD for my computer.

Thanks

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

Hello

I just bought a Samsung 850 Pro 1TB for £270, I would like to know if that there are no issues with it at the moment because I have heard the 840 EVO had problems with trimming and longevity, should I still keep my order on the 850 Pro or should I get another SSD for my computer.

Thanks

Yes the 850 Pro's are great and I am almost sure that you will have zero problems with it.

The 850 series is much better than the 840

They made some tweaks to improve it

And 1 TB SSD (I need one)

Hello

Thanks

It's true that the 840 has a lot of problems, but the 850 runs totally fine.

I've a 1TB (850 Evo) myself and it works really great.

Hi. There were some issues on 850 too but I believe it was only Linux related. Not sure if it was on EVO or Pro. I would say they are good.

The 850 series is much better than the 840

They made some tweaks to improve it

And 1 TB SSD (I need one)

yeah the 840 had major slowdowns, but after the recent FW upgrade. The 120gb 840 evo is faster than a brand new 120gb 850 evo. wierddd...

Uhm I'm sorry what? Problems with the 840?

You need to be more specific, it's the 840 EVO that was having some issues which have now been resolved. The 840 PRO however has not had such issues.

The 850's are remarkable too, you'll have no issues with them. :)

Gaming/Folding rig: Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced White | MSI Z77A-G43 | Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.4GHz | 10GB G.Skill RAM | Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | Seagate 2TB | Seagate 2TB | WD Blue 640GB | Cogage Arrow (Passive) | Thermaltake Toughpower XT 675w | Windows 10 Pro

Photography

Thanks for the replies, I am not sure now if I want a Samsung 850 EVO 1TB or get a Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, they are the same price

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

Get the 1TB, you won't notice the difference in performance and you'll get an extra ~512GB of storage.

EDIT:

Anandtech benchmark: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1415?vs=1462

Gaming/Folding rig: Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced White | MSI Z77A-G43 | Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.4GHz | 10GB G.Skill RAM | Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | Seagate 2TB | Seagate 2TB | WD Blue 640GB | Cogage Arrow (Passive) | Thermaltake Toughpower XT 675w | Windows 10 Pro

Photography

It is not really the performance I am looking at, it is the longevity and the controller it uses in it.

I ordered a 500GB 850 EVO earlier, so that should be arriving tomorrow. Good things will be happening.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

It is not really the performance I am looking at, it is the longevity and the controller it uses in it.

Longevity isn't an issue.  It used to be an issue 5+ years ago, but nowadays SSDs are more reliable and will last longer on average than any mechanical hard drive. 

anandtech did some calculations based on the numbers they were getting from their 840s

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7173/samsung-ssd-840-evo-review-120gb-250gb-500gb-750gb-1tb-models-tested/3

That's 400+TB from a 120GB EVO.  The 1TB one has a lot more NANDs, so it'll last a lot longer.  Expect it to last well into the PetaByte region.

My own 1TB 840 EVO has 4227 hours on it, has written 6009GB in that period (I mainly use it for ripping and encoding Blu-Rays) and the SMART data says it still has 99% left.  This thing will last 10 or 15 years even at my rather high usage. 

What issues is there with the 840 evo? I have never had any issues with mine.

Although I do put 850s in customers PCs now due to price, samsung always produces to some decent SSDs, I wouldn't mind trying the NVMe SSDs though

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

What issues is there with the 840 evo? I have never had any issues with mine.

Although I do put 850s in customers PCs now due to price, samsung always produces to some decent SSDs, I wouldn't mind trying the NVMe SSDs though

Massive slow downs when writing to old data sectors.

That said I'm not fazed and just bought a 840 EVO 1TB, where most of the data won't change a great deal and I just want the SSD for fast read speeds.

This issue didn't affect the PRO models.

Massive slow downs when writing to old data sectors.

That said I'm not fazed and just bought a 840 EVO 1TB, where most of the data won't change a great deal and I just want the SSD for fast read speeds.

This issue didn't affect the PRO models.

Yeah but they released a firmware update for that, I have never had issues with both of mine and I have had them over 2 years.

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)