Black & Blue Obsidian 650D

arcticbeaver

This is my first build, so don't be too harsh on me. I used to be a console gamer, but I started to get interested in PC's about a year ago. I had to do quite a lot of research, seeing as I had no idea what a CPU or GPU was back then. The build went surprisingly well and I am quite happy with my rig. However, I need to do something about the front 200mm intake fan that came with the Obsidian 650D because it is terribly loud. I plan on modding the case and replacing the front 200mm fan with two 120mm fans. 

Components:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16gb (2 x 8gb)

SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128gb

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

Video Card: Asus Geforce GTX 670

Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D

PSU: Corsair AX750

I've ordered some Corsair SP120 and AF120 fans as well as a set of individually sleeved cables (in blue). 

For the front intake fan mod, I'd like to do something like this: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=233743

Get a 770. you're getting a 680 with a bit more performance AND the same price. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125463

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

Welcome,

Hmm.. Bitfenix makes a 200mm fan, prolly the best 200mm fan you can get. On top of that, fan speed reducers are amazing. You'll get some with your Corsair fans, you can use them on any fan.

..Mod the case! even if you dont go with your two 120s in the front. Do something.

Get a 770. you're getting a 680 with a bit more performance AND the same price. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125463

i think he already built it lol.. good suggestion though.

It's nice, You the Bitfenix Specter Pro fan is really good. Go with the black one

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

Don't quote me on this, but I think the ASUS motherboard comes with fan controlling software. I have an ASUS Sabertooth Z87 motherboard and the Corsair 650D, Had the same problem with the 200mm fan until I used the fan optimization tool in AI Suite. You may have a different name on the software but I used it and I have not had loud fans since.

This is my first build, so don't be too harsh on me. I used to be a console gamer, but I started to get interested in PC's about a year ago. I had to do quite a lot of research, seeing as I had no idea what a CPU or GPU was back then. The build went surprisingly well and I am quite happy with my rig. However, I need to do something about the front 200mm intake fan that came with the Obsidian 650D because it is terribly loud. I plan on modding the case and replacing the front 200mm fan with two 120mm fans. 

Components:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16gb (2 x 8gb)

SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128gb

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

Video Card: Asus Geforce GTX 670

Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D

PSU: Corsair AX750

I've ordered some Corsair SP120 and AF120 fans as well as a set of individually sleeved cables (in blue). 

For the front intake fan mod, I'd like to do something like this: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=233743

*I'm having trouble uploading pictures because they exceed the 2MB file size limit. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can fix this?* 

Downsize it with Windows paint.

For your fans, if you want quiet ones, I'd recommned either Noctua or Corsair fans. They're pretty quiet.

Is the 2MB limit a forum thing, or is it from the website you use to host images? I host my images from photobucket, but I haven't been active on the forum very much, so I don't know if anything changed.

Sarah Jessica Parker

It's nice, You the Bitfenix Specter Pro fan is really good. Go with the black one

Thanks for the suggestion, the Specter Pro looks great, but I've already ordered an extra two Corsair fans for the front :P 

almost there...

now, press the tiny picture icon in the edit tools, and put the picture's URL

like so:

Thanks! I'll try it out when I get some more done on the build :D

Thanks for the suggestion, the Specter Pro looks great, but I've already ordered an extra two Corsair fans for the front :P

I'll just stop giving you advice or any input since I'm 0-2 at this point

Don't be discouraged! It's not like you gave bad advice, you were just too slow... :lol:

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I'd say we're 1-1, I regret getting the extra two 120mms now that you've shown me the Specter Pro :P It would prevent me from having to mod the case

Don't be discouraged! It's not like you gave bad advice, you were just too slow... :lol:

Yeap