R9 390 or GTX 970?

craftcrossing

Did you watch his vid? The max overclock his turd of a 970 could manage was 1440MHz. Mine boosts to 1300 without any overclock at all. You have to be very unlucky to get a 970 that will not OC to at least 1500 MHz.

Even if we accept that 1500MHz is the norm, how many % of the buyers overclocks there cards?

I had 2 MSI 970 water cooled, they could not reach 1500.

So 1450 is probally more commen then 1500+.

And as said earlier, just because it can overclock, dont mean you should use that as a selling point for choosing one over the other, as not everyone overclocks.

I've heard of aircooled MSI Gaming 970s reaching 1500 mhz from another thread where were talking about this.

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

Even if we accept that 1500MHz is the norm, how many % of the buyers overclocks there cards?

Everyone should, especially since Maxwell's stock clock speeds are inexplicably low for what I can only assume are the heat and power usage statistics bragging rights, but I point you to my first post in this thread:

If you are going to overclock the 970 is better. If you're going to be relying on stock speeds, the 390 has a better factory overclock.