Best way to clean dust from components?

Gdourado

Hello, how are you?

My new components for a small overhaul to my build are arriving Tuesday.

My current build is not super dusty, but after 8 months of use, some dust made its way to the interior of the case, the main board, the heatsinks, fan blades...

One of the new components is a new case, so I will be swapping most components over.

Since I will be doing that, I was wondering what is the best way to properly clean all the parts and make them look brand new out of the box again.

But also in a safe way that doesn't have any risk of damage.

Thanks,

Cheers!

An air duster.

Compressed air and:

cottonswabs-web.jpg

EDIT: make sure that you are cleaning the opponents outside  ;)

Compressed air, microfibre cloth and maybe an antistatic cleaning brush.

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

air compressor

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Oh god yes, I had one computer come through that had 3 years of buildup from a home with 3 dogs 1 cat 4 kids their mom, and to top it all off everyone in the house smoked heavily.

Compressed air and:

cottonswabs-web.jpg

With all the little edges and sharp bits in a computer, that would just end up leaving cotton in your system instead of dust. Would not recommend! 

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

What other people have said, cotton swabs and air dusters.

One thing I do (hasn't ended badly yet, no reason to think it would, but correct me if I'm wrong) is use Isopropyl Alcohol with the cotton swabs. I had a used blower style gpu that had all kinds of gunk built up in the impeller, so I put of bit of alcohol on the swab, squished it and ran it up and down in between the fins, really helped break up the gunk, a lot better than the swab by itself. Plus, it evaporates super quickly (if you don't use too much, pretty much instantly) so you don't have to worry about it lingering and causing issues.

My Build 
i7-4790k @4.6GHz, 16GB GSkill Ares RAM, Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming G1, Strix 970, RM1000 PSU, 128GB Sandisk SSD, 1TB Barracuda, 3TB WD Green, CM Storm Scout II