Asus Turbo GTX 970

Skyway
post-194640-0-55796100-1436511203_thumb. post-194640-0-26676400-1436511396_thumb.

I recently purchased the Asus Turbo 970 and I'm very impressed with it so far, build quality is top notch.  I upgraded from a 270x and am loving the performance increase, plus the tdp is only 145w compared to the 270x's 180w.  It actually runs cooler than my 270x (idle and load) and just crushes everything I've thrown at it.  Now with that said, I've only owned it for a day, so I cannot comment on durability or long term stability.  I will continue to update this thread if anyone is interested, if not I just wanted to create a thread about it in case someone out there is looking for information on this card (as I could find none).  I will probably be making a youtube video as well because I couldn't find a decent one that was in english.

It idles at 35 and sits right at 70 under full load and gaming.  At full rpm, the fan is loud, not gonna lie about that, but if you lower the fan speed down to around 75-80, it is tolerable imo.  It's more of an air movement, wooshing sound and it's not nearly as harsh a sound as my msi 270x's dual fans at full load.

I overclocked the core to 1505mhz and the memory to 7400mhz (still in the process of dialing this in, I think I can squeeze a little more out of it) and it's been stable so far.  I've run Valley and kombuster and played all my demanding games (BF4, Bioshock Infinite, Asseto Corsa, Metro Last Light, Shadow of Mordor, and Tomb Raider).  The ASIC quality is 72.8% on this particular card and it has Elpida vram.

My curious side got the best of me and I popped off the fan and shroud.  I snapped a few pics and back it went in my rig.

post-194640-0-05468100-1436511394_thumb. post-194640-0-51699200-1436511263_thumb. post-194640-0-01785900-1436511280_thumb. 

post-194640-0-86882200-1436511292_thumb. post-194640-0-03539500-1436511483_thumb. post-194640-0-99541500-1436511369_thumb.

If you have any specific questions about the card that I can answer, let me know.  If you wanna know the full specs, here is a link to newegg

actually, i didnt think about the pcb being that small, this might be one hell of a card for an ITX custom watercooled build.

wow, something different.

what case have you got this in? a mini-itx

That's one sexy looking cooler shroud. I'm diggin' the size of the PCB too.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

wow, something different.

what case have you got this in? a mini-itx

Yup, that's exactly why I got it!  I have this in an asrock m8 mini itx case.

So I dialed in the overclock a little more and managed to get a respectable 1523 core and 7806 memory using afterburner.  Not too shabby I would say, however time will really tell.  It has been stable in everything I've tested it with, but it hasn't been long enough to correctly verify the stability imo.

So I dialed in the overclock a little more and managed to get a respectable 1523 core and 7806 memory using afterburner.  Not too shabby I would say, however time will really tell.  It has been stable in everything I've tested it with, but it hasn't been long enough to correctly verify the stability imo.

You should get 8000 on the memory no problem. Pretty much every 970 i've seen has been able to get that or more without issue.

I overclocked the core to 1505mhz and the memory to 7400mhz (still in the process of dialing this in, I think I can squeeze a little more out of it) and it's been stable so far.

The OC is real! :D

Catman - a Wolverine wanna be 

No cooling on the vram? hmm..........

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

You should get 8000 on the memory no problem. Pretty much every 970 i've seen has been able to get that or more without issue.

7806 seems to be the max I can go on memory.  If I try to any higher, it crashes in valley, heaven, and kombustor.  From what I've read, Elpida vram seems to be the worst for overclocking.  Also, I've seen plenty of people not be able to hit 8000, it all depends on the silicone lottery

No cooling on the vram? hmm.........

I guess Asus didn't think it needs it?  The vram is at the end of the card and the fan is literally right there constantly blowing on it.  It seems to work great as I've had no issues with temps, this is the coolest running card I've ever owned.  Maybe I will throw some heatsinks on there and see if it made any difference

I recently purchased the Asus Turbo 970 and I'm very impressed with it so far, build quality is top notch.  I upgraded from a 270x and am loving the performance increase, plus the tdp is only 145w compared to the 270x's 180w.  It actually runs cooler than my 270x (idle and load) and just crushes everything I've thrown at it.  Now with that said, I've only owned it for a day, so I cannot comment on durability or long term stability.  I will continue to update this thread if anyone is interested, if not I just wanted to create a thread about it in case someone out there is looking for information on this card (as I could find none).  I will probably be making a youtube video as well because I couldn't find a decent one that was in english.

It idles at 35 and sits right at 70 under full load and gaming.  At full rpm, the fan is loud, not gonna lie about that, but if you lower the fan speed down to around 75-80, it is tolerable imo.  It's more of an air movement, wooshing sound and it's not nearly as harsh a sound as my msi 270x's dual fans at full load.

I overclocked the core to 1505mhz and the memory to 7400mhz (still in the process of dialing this in, I think I can squeeze a little more out of it) and it's been stable so far.  I've run Valley and kombuster and played all my demanding games (BF4, Bioshock Infinite, Asseto Corsa, Metro Last Light, Shadow of Mordor, and Tomb Raider).  The ASIC quality is 72.8% on this particular card and it has Elpida vram.

My curious side got the best of me and I popped off the fan and shroud.  I snapped a few pics and back it went in my rig.

If you have any specific questions about the card that I can answer, let me know.  If you wanna know the full specs, here is a link to newegg

Nice pics and summary. I really hoped you flipped that anti static bag inside out before placing that card on the top of it. Other than that slight scare, it looks great. Would you say the claims ASUS makes about it being roughly 20% cooler than the normal magnesium cooler are true? I was always curious about this card, but i could never find any reviews on it.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Nice pics and summary. I really hoped you flipped that anti static bag inside out before placing that card on the top of it. Other than that slight scare, it looks great. Would you say the claims ASUS makes about it being roughly 20% cooler than the normal magnesium cooler are true? I was always curious about this card, but i could never find any reviews on it.

Its actually supposed to be 10% cooler and I assume they mean 10% from the reference design even thought I've never seen a reference 970.

Its actually supposed to be 10% cooler and I assume they mean 10% from the reference design even thought I've never seen a reference 970.

14-132-038-01.jpg

This is the reference 970. But yeah, i wondered if it performed any cooler at all, given that the reference 970 had the better looking magnesium cooler on it. Still, if it performs better, then its worth the cash. Blowers are always great for SFF cases, and i am looking for the best blower cooler i can get.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

14-132-038-01.jpg

This is the reference 970. But yeah, i wondered if it performed any cooler at all, given that the reference 970 had the better looking magnesium cooler on it. Still, if it performs better, then its worth the cash. Blowers are always great for SFF cases, and i am looking for the best blower cooler i can get.

Yea I know the reference 970 look :) , what I meant is that I've never seen a review on it as I don't think its that popular and so I can't compare the temps. 

Thanks, I just wanted to get some info out there about this card. Of course I flipped the bag inside out, no worries there my friend  :D

I don't have any experience with a reference 970, but I do know that the Turbo uses a 75mm fan compared to the 65 on the reference.  Honestly I think it has more to do with the dual intakes on the fan, it really feeds a lot more air to it.

From the temps that I've read for a stock 970, my Asus outperforms it.  I would definitely recommend the Turbo to anyone who is looking for a blower 970.  Also, the Asus is $40 cheaper than the reference.