Keeping mentally active.

MzCatieB

wow...

I mean I don't have anything against female gamers infact I find them awesome but I mean I don't really believe that..

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

Casual games (phone games/farmville) do not make one a 'gamer'

watch the vid on the page, and yes i agree, a gamer is some1 who site at a screen for 32 hours+ a week playing it competativly

Character artist in the Games industry.

That's pretty cool I guess

Edit. but then again, if you count playing farmville on facebook as a gamer... yeah no

wow...

I mean I don't have anything against female gamers infact I find them awesome but I mean I don't really believe that..

before my gramp died we got him an xbox and he played minecraft with my nan all the time, it kept him mentally active and boosted his mood

before my gramp died we got him an xbox and he played minecraft with my nan all the time, it kept him mentally active and boosted his mood

Sorry, I meant the overtaking guy gamers part 

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

Sorry, I meant the overtaking guy gamers part 

yh i know, i always like to put at least a quote in my news posts and there is limited text on the original

yh i know, i always like to put at least a quote in my news posts and there is limited text on the original

mmmm, It really does seem like a great way to keep your brain active at an older age though :P

Don't believe it. Girls, and anyone else really, won't try or like video games until they have an enjoyable experience.

I'm trying to have my girlfriend try more games, but she only likes racing games, Soul Calibur, and GTA(blow stuff up). She doesn't game 24/7 and she doesn't even consider herself a gamer(I do, personally).

We won't be seeing women overtake men in gaming for a LONG time, unless Facebook and phone games count(which, they don't).

This tread makes me wonder:, What makes a "gamer". Why is someone only considered a gamer if they spend tons of hours playing a week. Acctually I think this begs for an answer, since "gamer" is one of the few subcultures that is not clearly defined. In my mind "gamer" can refer to any person that can appreciate the art form that games, to a certain extent, are.

Edit: As for the part of keeping mentaly active. I know my grandparents are having a blast playing Wii Sports and playing memory games on their Nintendo DS. And the last time I spoke with my father he was playing throug System Shock 2 for the 8th time    

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

This tread makes me wonder:, What makes a "gamer". Why is someone only considered a gamer if they spend tons of hours playing a week. Actually I think this begs for an answer, since "gamer" is one of the few subcultures that is not clearly defined. In my mind "gamer" can refer to any person that can appreciate the art form that games, to a certain extent, are.  

Not to intentionally spin off into off-topic...but it isn't the amount of time or obsession to be a gamer. You're a gamer, by just playing games.

For example; a woman playing Xbox and screaming about online saying she's a girl gamer, is not a gamer, at all. A person who has a phone and plays emulators of Pokemon or N64 games to not just pass the time, but to also enjoy the game, is a gamer.

So I do agree with you, if you can appreciate it and not write it off as a time killer or something to get attention, then yes, you are a gamer(I still don't think Angry Birds or Farmville counts though).

Not to intentionally spin off into off-topic...but it isn't the amount of time or obsession to be a gamer. You're a gamer, by just playing games. For example; a woman playing Xbox and screaming about online saying she's a girl gamer, is not a gamer, at all. A person who has a phone and plays emulators of Pokemon or N64 games to not just pass the time, but to also enjoy the game, is a gamer. So I do agree with you, if you can appreciate it and not write it off as a time killer or something to get attention, then yes, you are a gamer(I still don't think Angry Birds or Farmville counts though).

I'd also say that many gamers research their games, make strategies and inform themselves. This one applies more for online-multiplayer/mmorpg games. It may apply to some console games but not to many because there 'informing yourself ' is more like cheating.

People who 'play every Pokemon game' and then throw then away are fans in my opinion and not gamers. Many gamers replay games and also appreciate older games which don't have the best graphics (this is more of an optional criteria IMO)

Not to intentionally spin off into off-topic...but it isn't the amount of time or obsession to be a gamer. You're a gamer, by just playing games.

Nah. There are two types: Game consumers and gamers.

Game consumers do not appreciate the art in gaming and do not actively seek out new games, they instead let mass media manipulate them passively into buying just the most marketed and shitty games like Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell, Battlefield, CoD, FIFA, Madden, The Sims or Facebook games and Angry Birds.

Gamers are people who know what they like in gaming, spend a lot of time at it and/ or are really good at it, and are at all times informed through research what games they may like based on gameplay design rather than flashy trailers paid for by the big publishers. They know how to smell the "fishy" in a "gameplay" trailer, and never pre-order unless they've at least had hands-on experience in some form. They care about the medium, and try to influence people around them to not waste money on shit games every day, to help make gaming a better place.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Nah. There are two types: Game consumers and gamers.

Game consumers do not appreciate the art in gaming and do not actively seek out new games, they instead let mass media manipulate them passively into buying just the most marketed and shitty games like Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell, Battlefield, CoD, FIFA, Madden, The Sims or Facebook games and Angry Birds.

Gamers are people who know what they like in gaming, spend a lot of time at it and/ or are really good at it, and are at all times informed through research what games they may like based on gameplay design rather than flashy trailers paid for by the big publishers. They know how to smell the "fishy" in a "gameplay" trailer, and never pre-order unless they've at least had hands-on experience in some form. They care about the medium, and try to influence people around them to not waste money on shit games every day, to help make gaming a better place.

Ahem, Battlefield is a great game, so is Assassin's Creed... I have no clue what games you play :S

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

I think Volbet got it right, a gamer is simply someone who loves playing games. It doesn't mean someone is a competitive or crazy talented player. They just have to enjoy it and love playing it. I love playing the original HoMM but I can't get past the 3rd level. I love pokemon and play competitively on a couple simulators.

I must agree though, I think calling someone a gamer should limit them to PC/console/handheld systems that are specifically designed for gaming. I don't think my friend that had a Bejeweled score of 300,000 (still no idea how she is that good, I blame my color deficiency lol) would be a gamer because if she tried playing any genre on PC or console, she would have no clue how to begin.

Just my personal beliefs.

Ahem, Battlefield is a great game, so is Assassin's Creed... I have no clue what games you play :S

Exactly the kind of opinion caused by a lack of a point of reference. If all you play are games made by accountants, you're going to rate them against other games made by accountants.

Anyway, I hope you realize I was referring to the sequelitis. The originals may have been good, to a degree, but all of the above games are games that are far beyond their expiry date and all recent sequels have undeniably been undiluted soulless cash grabs. Which doesn't mean they can't have good game play (like newer FIFAs and Battlefield 3 and The Sims 3 does) but they are still in the category representing games for game consumers. 

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Yes, I will say it as well, Farmville and Pockie Ninja, players and whatever else is based on a tablet and a cell phone doesn't make someone a gamer. Females can go ahead and play whatever they want and stop calling themselves "gamer gurls/ attention whores". 

I don't think female "gamers" will ever surpass the number male gamers.

"Save the cheerleader, save the world- Hiro Nakamura

The hero LinusTechTips forum deserves, but not the one it needs.

Relevant video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKonOyxVYM4

Also, no casual games like farmville etc, do not count in regards to playing real games.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

I want to teach my grandmother how to game!

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Well I guess thinking about it, instead of wasting all my valuble "study time" playing games, I could leave that all to when I'm retired.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Girls care way more about their image than guys do (IMO) if people try and say oh your a nerd/no life etc... for playing video games I just say okay I don't give a shit what you think but if you called a girl that it might be almost as bad (for some) as calling them fat to their face and meaning it.

My rig: Case: Corsair 760T CPU: Intel 4690k MOBO: MSI Z79 Gaming 5 RaM: 16gb HyperX SSD: 256gb Samsung pro HDD: 1tb Toshiba PSU: Thermaltake smart 750 GPU: 1x GTX 1080 Founders edition

Girls care way more about their image than guys do (IMO) if people try and say oh your a nerd/no life etc... for playing video games I just say okay I don't give a shit what you think but if you called a girl that it might be almost as bad (for some) as calling them fat to their face and meaning it.

You'd be surprised how many guy do that too, but I get what you mean. Doesn't help when many people think of Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Subway Surfers and the like when you mention games and thing of gamers negatively because they don't understand what good "real" games are like.

System: i5-2500k, Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3, Mushkin Enhanced Blackline, R9 290X, CoolerMaster Elite 430, OCZ Vector, Corsair RM650, Dell U2412M, Corsair H60, Sidewinder X6, M6880, Asus Xonar DG      
Steam username: Armorhype          Origin username: Armorhype          Xbox Live Gamertag: Armorhype