AMD has officially deprecated Mantle

Mew

English is the most stupid language on the planet.  Who else has 26 letters several of which are redundant.

Amateurs....We added 3 extra letters in the danish alphabet, just to be difficult.

Sweet! Then thank god for Mantle leading them to Vulkan and DirectX 12. :)

It didn't.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

It didn't.

Mantle was used as a starting point for Vulkan development. The Khronos group even formally thanked AMD during the GDC presentation. It's one of the reasons they were able to build vulkan so fast.

DX12 is a different story. Mantle may have influenced it's final direction or hustled things along but there is no proof. Can be argued both ways...

-snip-

I really don't think "Deprecated" is the correct word here:

-snip-

Unless you mean definition #2, which literally means Depreciate.

-snip-

wow I didn't know they meant exactly the same thing. Yes, I meant definition 2. 

I've just always heard "deprecate" used whenever something is being discontinued. I usually hear depreciate whenever someone is talking about the value of something financially. 

Nononono, "deprecated" is corrrect. See Wiktionary definition #3:

3. (computing) Obsolescent; said of a construct in a computing language considered old, and planned to be phased out, but still available for use.

Nononono, "deprecated" is corrrect. See Wiktionary definition #3:

Interesting, Wikitionary is the only source I've seen so far to even include that third definition. Is this a term favoured in European English or something? Since that definition doesn't seem to be ubiquitous across all dictionaries.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Interesting, Wikitionary is the only source I've seen so far to even include that third definition. Is this a term favoured in European English or something? Since that definition doesn't seem to be ubiquitous across all dictionaries.

I suspect those dictionary definitions predate widespread adoption of computers.

Deprecated?

Do you know what this word means?  Not what you think it does.

I suspect those dictionary definitions predate widespread adoption of computers.

Most computer language is not created to define new technology, but derived from current language or adapted from similar usage in prior technologies, I.E Bootstrapping. deprecated, bug and even the word computer which had nothing to do with electronic machines prior to their prevalence. (circa 17th century word for a human who calculates things).

Language is constantly evolving, where new definitions are added when the everyday usage hits a particular threshold.  Hence why many definitions have original and later definitions for somethings. So as words are used to define/explain a characteristic or crucial juncture in a situation they are not specifically tied to a study or genre but used generically across all disciplines. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.