The worst Mem Leak to ever grace a PC

Go to solution Solved by DigitalHermit,

I know theres alot of chrome but when i shut them all down i only gain about 5% of my Mem back

have you disabled Chrome's run in background 'feature'??

have you disabled Chrome's run in background 'feature'??

You my friend are the best! Disable running in background and restarted, now i only have 11% mem usage. Thanks so much!!

~Grif

You my friend are the best! Disable running in background and restarted, now i only have 11% mem usage. Thanks so much!!

Friends don't let friends use Chrome.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

npnp...

and this, ladies and gents, is why I avoid Chrome whenever possible...

Friends don't let friends use Chrome.

npnp...

and this, ladies and gents, is why I avoid Chrome whenever possible...

Never had any issue with chrome that I couldn't solve by disabling an ad-in, and I've been using it pretty much for 5+ years now, on different OS (linux Mint, ubuntu, WXP, W7 and W8.1) and computers (2 laptops and 2 desktops).

That being said if that really was the problem there's still something wrong with the chrome installation, as it really shouldn't be using that much RAM. I've never seen it being such a big problem.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

Never had any issue with chrome that I couldn't solve by disabling an ad-in, and I've been using it pretty much for 5+ years now, on different OS (linux Mint, ubuntu, WXP, W7 and W8.1) and computers (2 laptops and 2 desktops).

That being said if that really was the problem there's still something wrong with the chrome installation, as it really shouldn't be using that much RAM. I've never seen it being such a big problem.

Im guessing OP keeps a lot of tabs open on chrome, then just closes the window...

Chrome tends to keep all those tabs in the background until you call them again... which makes the browser perform fast... but at the cost of greater resource consumption...

Might just be a difference in use case or a broken or outdated installation as you have said...

Im guessing OP keeps a lot of tabs open on chrome, then just closes the window...

Chrome tends to keep all those tabs in the background until you call them again... which makes the browser perform fast... but at the cost of greater resource consumption...

Might just be a difference in use case or a broken or outdated installation as you have said...

But it reloads all that stuff back into ram upon system startup as well?  OP said restarting didn't help his problem.  That seems really odd, or really bad programming on chrome's part.  I wonder if chrome has something in there so that once you hit a certain threshold like 90% usage it starts freeing up some system ram.  If so than it probably doesn't hurt to keep it enabled.

But it reloads all that stuff back into ram upon system startup as well?  OP said restarting didn't help his problem.  That seems really odd, or really bad programming on chrome's part.  I wonder if chrome has something in there so that once you hit a certain threshold like 90% usage it starts freeing up some system ram.  If so than it probably doesn't hurt to keep it enabled.

I think so... I disabled it the moment i noticed it since I've only got 4GB on my laptop and 8 on my desktop and I use lots of RAM-heavy stuff...

(sorry OP and mods for discussing further in a solved thread)

The lesson learned chrome is fast but be aware it uses memory to enhance its speed...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory