Question: Is there a way to possibly rename a massive number of files and folders quickly?

Go to solution Solved by rustikles,

Yes there is! Bulk Rename Utility

You have to play around with it, but the program is super powerful. 

Hi guys,

At my work, a lot of the actual "work" is done on PDF's. However, this was done in the old XP (when it was brand new) days when there wasn't a "preview" option for them, so to make their jobs easier, the employees would name the files like so:

P:\[insert work section]\[insert company name]\[insert handler name]\[insert client number range]\[insert client number]\[insert PDF name]

Now, that's long, obviously, but for just the PDF name, this was the syntax used for clients 550-800:

[account number][date][name of client][special characters to display certain aspects of account] and so on and so on.

Well, when backup time came around for these files, they'd fail because their directory path is greater than 255 characters which Windows in general, but especially XP, is not OK with. 

Eventually this made my manager have to chew out everyone (basically) in the company who was doing this so that they would stop. 

The question however, is how do we fix the damage that's been done without spending a week+ doing it. This is easily over 1,000 files as multiple clients could have multiple PDFs.

Now read "The shorty story" to see what I want basically for doing this. 

I need a program that can make editing the name of a large number of files quick and relatively easy. I imagine it would be explicitly made for this purpose.

I imagine it would display all the files just like a normal windows explorer window but me clicking on any of them instantly allows me to rename the files as this is all it's purpose is. It would also allow me to jump between directories easily. That's just my "perfect world" idea though. Anything similar would work.

I have 1000+ files to rename in multiple (300+) directories. So... yeah. :|

Help is appreciated. I haven't started yet, as I'm waiting for the files to mirror onto another server, but once that's done, I'll be editing them (Monday, or 72 hours from now roughly). 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

Thanks dude. I'll download it and play with it once I have it installed.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I don't know what kind of files you need to rename, but there are a few things I found especially useful in the program.

1. Insert text/numbering at beginning/end/position "n" of file
  2. Delete characters in first/last/from position "n" to "m"
  3. Rename "*string*" to "*whatever*"

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

I don't know what kind of files you need to rename, but there are a few things I found especially useful in the program.

1. Insert text/numbering at beginning/end/position "n" of file
  2. Delete characters in first/last/from position "n" to "m"
  3. Rename "*string*" to "*whatever*"

That is exactly what I need.

We are essentially just cutting everything off after the file number and date as it's now unnecessary since Win7 has a preview pane for PDF's. You just turned 2-3 weeks worth of work (according to my manager) into a week or less (probably a day if it's all I do). Sweet.

† Christian Member †

it has so many awesome useful features ;)

it has so many awesome useful features ;)

Now I just need a Physics level text book to understand what they all do and where they are.  :lol: 

Kidding, but it'll be fun toying with it. Hope I don't break anything though.

† Christian Member †

That is exactly what I need.

We are essentially just cutting everything off after the file number and date as it's now unnecessary since Win7 has a preview pane for PDF's. You just turned 2-3 weeks worth of work (according to my manager) into a week or less (probably a day if it's all I do). Sweet.

You're very welcome dude  ;). I actually found this when I was messing around with a Hiren's BootCD for my job. It works wonders.

This is awesome, I was actually looking for something like this myself but never bothered asking the forum for it :)

You're very welcome dude  ;). I actually found this when I was messing around with a Hiren's BootCD for my job. It works wonders.

Awesome, this is basically what I do when I am faced with something I have no experience in. Ask the forum.

† Christian Member †

Fun tip for all,

If you rename a file in Windows 7 or 8, you can hit the tab quick to rename the next one :)

I know its not what the OP wants exactly, just wanted to share.

Fun tip for all,

If you rename a file in Windows 7 or 8, you can hit the tab quick to rename the next one :)

I know its not what the OP wants exactly, just wanted to share.

Pretty useful though. Thanks :D Didn't ever think of doing that.

† Christian Member †