The last decision for display

PeggersXtreme
Go to solution Solved by Lord_Karango17,

so in your experience does 144hz make a whole lot of difference I heard people say its less straining on the eye's, it's game changing, movies look better is this true. and yeah I wouldn't consider 144hz till IPS ones came out. Thanks

144hz is very nice. It makes using the computer more enjoyable, however up until now the only way to have it was with tn panels that did not boast the best color accuracy. Now however you have the ability to get ips panels that also do 144hz which is the good stuff.

It might be less straining if you are already used to it (it is quite hard going back to 60hz after using 144hz because you get used to the smoothness).

Personally I dont know how much of a difference it makes in movies, however since the 144hz is an even multiple of the 24fps that movies are shot in, it would reduce the frame skipping that occurs when you try to play 24 fps content through a 60 hz panel (144/24=6 so each frame has to stay onscreen for 6 panel refreshes, but it is not as smooth with 60hz panels)

I'm considering a ultrawide but might hold off till 75hz ones are available so then I have that sweet spot for refresh, maintaining fps between 60 and 80fps is the sweet spot for me. It's personal preference at the end of the day some people might find 144hz beneficial some won't but then my monitor was faulty so it may not have been working right in the first place.

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

I'm considering a ultrawide but might hold off till 75hz ones are available so then I have that sweet spot for refresh, maintaining fps between 60 and 80fps is the sweet spot for me. It's personal preference at the end of the day some people might find 144hz beneficial some won't but then my monitor was faulty so it may not have been working right in the first place.

I think ultrawide is overhyped. I had 3 27 inch LG IPS monitors with the smallest bezel you can get in the universe. 

It didn't feel immersive at all because I couldn't see 80% of the monitors. I love my 1440P 144hz now with G-Sync. I can play Battlefield 4 at 144FPS and then go play some Witcher 3 at 40FPS @ 5K downscaled to 1440P.

eejlwpqonq.bmp

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

I think ultrawide is overhyped. I had 3 27 inch LG IPS monitors with the smallest bezel you can get in the universe. 

It didn't feel immersive at all because I couldn't see 80% of the monitors. I love my 1440P 144hz now with G-Sync. I can play Battlefield 4 at 144FPS and then go play some Witcher 3 at 40FPS @ 5K downscaled to 1440P.

eejlwpqonq.bmp

I might look into it a bit more once my new graphics cards arrive I will see how they perform and make my choice off that, I'm not considering upgrading again for a while though so 144hz may become wasted after a couple years. I really need to look up benchmarks of Titan X in SLI might change my mind lol and yeah I know 980ti SLI would be more powerful or equal for cheaper before someone says but I use my PC for more than just gaming so the rendering power and Vram suites my needs better than the 980ti

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

What I am basically trying to find is a monitor that can be used for both productivity and gaming so IPS or VA is a must over TN

Custom PC:

What I am basically trying to find is a monitor that can be used for both productivity and gaming so IPS or VA is a must over TN

Well my Acer XB270HU IS IPS

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Well my Acer XB270HU IS IPS

What input ports does it have though I thought it only has display port

Custom PC:

What input ports does it have though I thought it only has display port

So what's the problem with that? What else do you need to connect to your monitor?

You could fuck around with a displayport-switch but I doubt those even exist, at that point just get a second monitor that has hdmi or dvi-d

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

So what's the problem with that? What else do you need to connect to your monitor?

You could fuck around with a displayport-switch but I doubt those even exist, at that point just get a second monitor that has hdmi or dvi-d

I have multiple machines hooked up to my monitor at once and one of my machines doesn't have display port as it's a very basic file server that uses an igpu so only port for screen on it is hdmi I then also have a home cinema surround system that I use with my monitor so I need at least one hdmi and one display port

And I have tried multi monitor before and I didn't like the amount of space it required and the amount of cable clutter it created

Custom PC: