GTX 970 or is there any AMDs alternatives?

iM8Pizza

Didn't you say you want a Plat rated Psu?

If you are looking for PSU around a $100 that aren't Bronze rated:

Gold Rated:

Seasonic SSr-650Rm ($114 on Amazon)

Coolermaster V650 ($93 on Amazon)

Corsair RM650 ($109 on Newegg)

Corsair RM750 ($119 on Amazon)

Plat Rated:

FSP PT-650 ($119 on Amazon)

what's up with these ratings? Sorry, I don't really know about PSUs....enlighten me perhaps?

Is superflower available from where you're buying from?

yeah it is available, only the Super Flower SF-500P12A 500W

Didn't you say you want a Plat rated Psu?

If you are looking for PSU around a $100 that aren't Bronze rated:

Gold Rated:

Seasonic SSr-650Rm ($114 on Amazon)

Coolermaster V650 ($93 on Amazon)

Corsair RM650 ($109 on Newegg)

Corsair RM750 ($119 on Amazon)

Plat Rated:

FSP PT-650 ($119 on Amazon)

and what's up with these Semi-modular, Modular, Fully Modular stuff?

yeah it is available, only the Super Flower SF-500P12A 500W

Hmm... Is the Seasonic m12ii 620w available? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

what's up with these ratings? Sorry, I don't really know about PSUs....enlighten me perhaps?

PSU are rated, bronze, silver (don't really see these much already), gold and platinum. Its based on their efficiency, In simple terms, its how well your PSU converts the electricity into usable energy for your system to use. 

For example, comparing a 650W gold rated PSU to a platinum rated one, your system is drawing 250W to operate.

Gold PSU:

Draws 280W instead of 250W (30W is loss as heat etc..)

Platinum PSU:

Draws 270W instead of 250W (20W is loss as heat etc..)

Basically you save electricity, which saves you money.

and what's up with these Semi-modular, Modular, Fully Modular stuff?

You see how some PSUs have no wires hard attached to it, those are Fully modular/Modular PSU, you can remove every single cable from the PSU so it just looks like a cuboid (typically make things neater, removing cables not in use). 

Non-modular PSUs is the opposite of Fully Modular if you can't already tell. Every single cable is attached to the PSU, you can't remove any cables even those not in use, so you'll have to chuck them somewhere in your case to hide it.

Semi-modular, the name speaks for itself. The most essential cables are hard attached to the psu, with some additional cables you can attach or detach from the PSU.

R9 390 is the new king in that pricerange

not really

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

That Jayz2C 390VS970 video,..Did he even mention power usage once....?

HE SHOULD be stating how much power is uses for people who are buying it..

/Credibility means nothing if your not giving us all the info.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

the power usage is clear, you can nearly run GTX970 SLI for the same power. But what dissapoints me is the gtx970 overclock, its kind of low and the r9 390 overclock is kind of a golden sample like.... i dont know

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

That Jayz2C 390VS970 video,..Did he even mention power usage once....?

HE SHOULD be stating how much power is uses for people who are buying it..

/Credibility means nothing if your not giving us all the info.

what the point, everyone and their mother knows that AMD uses a large portion more power to get their performance.

Anyway, it will take several hours use, every day, all year to make the difference become a lot more noticable. If you arent using your PC every day, and at very high load whenever you use it, the two arent too far apart. Especially in lighter workloads. Under max load, the 390 is something close to 100w more then the 970.

not really

yes really its cheaper and faster. It uses more power but there is always a disadvantage.

the power usage is clear, you can nearly run GTX970 SLI for the same power. But what dissapoints me is the gtx970 overclock, its kind of low and the r9 390 overclock is kind of a golden sample like.... i dont know

have you ever owned a AMD card? because your comments suggest heavily otherwise. Thus how do you even know that is a good 390 overclock or not?

AMD has made some changes under the hood. It has more room then hte 200 series due to slightly lower thermals.

So unless you own and have tested yourself, or know a lot of people with 390s, in which case, please make them post their results in a google doc, with screenshots included. If not, do not state things such as "all 390 is shait at OC, dis be only gud card". You dont know. Even Jayztwocents doesnt know.

It is too early to tell whether the 300 series will be good overclockers or not. Not enough credible review soures is out. And barely any of them talk anything about OC.

yes really its cheaper and faster. It uses more power but there is always a disadvantage.

thats infact is the thing that makes it more expansive in the long run.

have you ever owned a AMD card? because your comments suggest heavily otherwise. Thus how do you even know that is a good 390 overclock or not?

AMD has made some changes under the hood. It has more room then hte 200 series due to slightly lower thermals.

So unless you own and have tested yourself, or know a lot of people with 390s, in which case, please make them post their results in a google doc, with screenshots included. If not, do not state things such as "all 390 is shait at OC, dis be only gud card". You dont know. Even Jayztwocents doesnt know.

It is too early to tell whether the 300 series will be good overclockers or not. Not enough credible review soures is out. And barely any of them talk anything about OC.

My AMD cards: 4670, 5870, 6870

My Nvidia Cards 420ti, gtx460, gtx970

Comparing oc results of various community reports and reviews

What you think is: THIS GUY IS A F***ING FANBOY. But your wrong, im not. Im just taking every Hardware's performance with a grain of salt especially when consider bad made videos and comparisons of things. Jayz video is very cool i like it alot. Ive seen a r9 390 can beat a gtx970 overclocked. But im questioning myself. Why is the gtx970 overclock so low? Most 970's have quite a bit of more headroom. Also would like to know the 1250mhz results of the 390 if he had some (he said it crashed in benchmarks, but maybe he got some that went through). Also the benches even if it took him so long, and its a very hard and nice work.. he havnt tested enough games though...

what the point, everyone and their mother knows that AMD uses a large portion more power to get their performance.

Anyway, it will take several hours use, every day, all year to make the difference become a lot more noticable. If you arent using your PC every day, and at very high load whenever you use it, the two arent too far apart. Especially in lighter workloads. Under max load, the 390 is something close to 100w more then the 970.

Your wrong, not EVERYONE NOR THEIR MOTHER does know...

Enthusiasts are few and far between the many of consumers who out number them, who also know nothing.... remember that.

Its not also about the power over time argument either..

He does not once, mention the fact of what it uses under load, anyone who has a 350-450w PSU may think (who's to say otherwise, their not enthusiasts) they can run a 390 (let alone overclocked), cos the GTX 970 does fine on it... even overclocked, they may think the 290 is the same... when it clearly is not in the same ballpark.

Point being - Not everyone and their mother knows the ins and outs between them, and Jay SHOULD know THAT, and mention the differences.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

thats infact is the thing that makes it more expansive in the long run.

^That actually isn't a valid point to bring up. The price for electricity in countries differ. Only actual saving comes when you're folding for 24/7 everyday for a year.  

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Your wrong, not EVERYONE NOR THEIR MOTHER does know...

Enthusiasts are few and far between the many of consumers who out number them, who also know nothing.... remember that.

Its not also about the power over time argument either..

He does not once, mention the fact of what it uses under load, anyone who has a 350-450w PSU may think (who's to say otherwise, their not enthusiasts) they can run a 390 (let alone overclocked), cos the GTX 970 does fine on it... even overclocked, they may think the 290 is the same... when it clearly is not in the same ballpark.

Point being - Not everyone and their mother knows the ins and outs between them, and Jay SHOULD know THAT, and mention the differences.

you also forget that the vendors, XFX, Sapphire, MSI, Gigabyte etc... they all reccomend 600-750w PSU. And It also says so on the box of the product (atleast the AMD products ive bought). So if you arent bothering to read the specification requirements in the first place, then Jayz wouldnt make too much difference either. Certain people simply shouldnt do things on their own without assistance. Alot of the non tech savvy fals under that category.

Yes i am a bit cynical here. But its like those people who has a GPS, gets lost and still refuse to ask for directions. They had the info they needed and completely disregarded it.

The rest of the normal people will in most cases ask the staff in a shop or look at the requirements on the web page. WHICH IS USUALLY LISTED ON THE TOP OF THE WEBSTORE PAGES

^That actually isn't a valid point to bring up. The price for electricity in countries differ. Only actual saving comes when you're folding for 24/7 everyday for a year.  

yea ofc but the cards prices also differ, and one is for sure if you use more power you pay more power.

Here in Germany both cards costs the same. You just pay more for the r9 390 when you start using it. Ofc its a valid point.

You might use this card for 3years, 100watts of more power even when only used 1hour per day makes the card more expansive in every country i can think of

yea ofc but the cards prices also differ, and one is for sure if you use more power you pay more power.

Here in Germany both cards costs the same. You just pay more for the r9 390 when you start using it. Ofc its a valid point.

You might use this card for 3years, 100watts of more power even when only used 1hour per day makes the card more expansive in every country i can think of

Of the 1 hour of use time. The 390 isn't gonna always be using 100 more watts than the 970. That you see in the benchmarks is the system being under full load. Tell me how everyone in the world uses their machine at full load everytime its turned on.

Of the 1 hour of use time. The 390 isn't gonna always be using 100 more watts than the 970. That you see in the benchmarks is the system being under full load. Tell me how everyone in the world uses their machine at full load everytime its turned on.

you dont get it, ofc 1hour of use is meant "1hour of gaming/doing something which consumes dat watts".. You just play dumb right now...

you dont get it, ofc 1hour of use is meant "1hour of gaming/doing something which consumes dat watts".. You just play dumb right now...

Uh huh.... Take a deep breath for a moment alright? What I'm trying to tell you is this. Realistically, no one uses the machine at full load whenever its turned on. 

Do you run Aida64 every time you PC is on? No. Do you run Furmark everytime your PC is on? No. Even in games, cards also do not use that much power. 

You might think the 970 or 390 is always using 150w or 200w in games, but no. Its always fluctuating. Do you get it?  

Uh huh.... Take a deep breath for a moment alright? What I'm trying to tell you is this. Realistically, no one uses the machine at full load whenever its turned on. 

Do you run Aida64 every time you PC is on? No. Do you run Furmark everytime your PC is on? No. Even in games, cards also do not use that much power. 

You might think the 970 or 390 is always using 150w or 200w in games, but no. Its always fluctuating. Do you get it?  

even if its take only an average of 50watts more while gaming still be more expansive, even 1watt is more expansive also the 100watts difference was measured while gaming not while running furmark or anything. please stop trolling me >.<

Serious question:

How does it compare to a 1500+Mhz GTX 970?

It's so freaking common and easy to get that on a 970, at stock voltage. And at that point you're usually reaching stock 980 performance.

I mean, JayZ got a nice, golden sample 390,that overclocks very nicely. Why not compare it to a golden sample, highly overclocked 970?

even if its take only an average of 50watts more while gaming still be more expansive, even 1watt is more expansive also the 100watts difference was measured while gaming not while running furmark or anything. please stop trolling me >.<

:mellow: , if your so concern about power usage then you must be in the wrong place. 

Rig: CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.5 ghz | MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: 4x4 gigs Kingston Fury 1600 ddr3 | GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X PSU: Seasonic M12ii-620 Evo Edition | HDD: 1 TB WD, 500 GB WD | SSD: Kingston SSD now 240 and 120 GB CASE: In Win 303 RGB edition | Mouse: Corsair m65 pro | Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK | Headset: Hyper X Cloud Pro  | Monitor: LG 29um58-P Ultrawide monitor.

Serious question:

How does it compare to a 1500+Mhz GTX 970?

It's so freaking common and easy to get that on a 970, at stock voltage. And at that point you're usually reaching stock 980 performance.

I mean, JayZ got a nice, golden sample 390,that overclocks very nicely. Why not compare it to a golden sample, highly overclocked 970?

Golden sample of gtx970 would be above 1600Mhz ...

But from the scaling when comparing stock performance and overclock performance from this video you can allready see that the gtx970 should be superior. 

:mellow: , if your so concern about power usage then you must be in the wrong place. 

if you dont concern about power usage you are living the wrong attitude my friend.

instead of going back and forth without getting anywhere, let's wrap this up.

Facts:

• Running costs are determined by power usage
  • a 100W TDP difference does not mean one consumes 100W more than the other all of the time

Let's do a calculation... To do this, we need some assumptions. Don't quote me on them, I'm not saying they are facts, I just need them to do the calculation as a proof-of-concept.

Assumptions:

1. card A has a TDP of 145 W.
  2. card B has a TDP of 280 W.
  3. game every day for two hours a day
  4. card runs at 70% of TDP during game on average during game

So, given those assumptions, by combining (1), (2), and (4), we can see the actual power draw for both cards during the game hours will be

• card A: 145 W * 0.7 = 101.5 W
  • card B: 280 W * 0.7 = 196.0 W

Given those wattages, we can calculate that, for two hours a day (3), these cards will consume:

• card A: 101.5 W * 2 h/day = 203 Wh/day
  • card B: 196.0 W * 2 h/day = 392 Wh/day

Doing this an entire year (365 days) will yield us:

• card A: 203 Wh/day * 365 days/year =   75920 Wh/year = 75.92 kWh/year
  • card B: 392 Wh/day * 365 days/year = 143080 Wh/year = 143.08 kWh/year

Using the electricity pricing statistics for 2014 I found on Wikipedia, we can see that electricity in Germany costs about 30 cents/kWh. Using that information, we can quickly find the running costs of each card:

• card A:   75.92 kWh/year * 0.3 EUR/kWh = 22.776 EUR/year
  • card B: 143.08 kWh/year * 0.3 EUR/kWh = 42.924 EUR/year

In absolute terms, that's a 20 EUR/year difference in the second-most expensive country in Europe for electricity. Of course, the two big variables here utilization whilst gaming, and utilization hours/day.

In relative terms, that means card B is double as expensive to put in production as card A is. Whether that's an issue, depends on your electricity rates.

Conclusion -- TL;DR

For some people, this difference will be significant, whilst for others, it won't. There's not really a point in arguing about it because everyone's use case, income pattern, and cost structure is different. It's good that it was mentioned, but that's about it.