Microsoft just made millions from Windows XP

jos

Yeah no. If you want to be truly secure you have to have a team working on your os at all times. Linux is not bullet proof.

Well Linux is pretty safe by itself.

not more safe. just doesn't have as many people trying figure out how to break it.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

More of 'security through anonymity'. No one has bothered to put the same amount of effort hacking and writing viruses for Linux than they have for Windows.

This is not simply about changing. In the process of changing any software or the like, it will have to go through a huge validation test, especially since we are considering military uses, where the validation test are even longer and tougher.

There are multiple ways to almost totally secure any server, if we dont consider things such as physical access to the servers.

No kidding around the validation testing for the military. The military likes to test to the extreme, which takes time and money to do. Often, programs can last for years in testing and development where the military is having a battery of tests run on whatever they are developing to make sure it works like it is supposed to. And as a result, sometimes, technology passes by compared to what state of technology when the program was started.

$9.1 million for MS is like pocket lint for me. ;)

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

there's still a huge customer base using Windows XP and they're willing to dole out millions of dollars for custom security support. The latest customer to sign a Windows XP support deal is the US Navy. On Tuesday, the Navy's Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command (SPAWAR) closed a $9.1 million contract with Microsoft that guarantees continued custom support for security updates on the 100,000 workstations still using Windowx XP, Office 2003, Exchange 2003, and Windows Server 2003.

That is cool. The mult-billion dollar company I work for just upgraded from Windows Server 2003 to 2008. I still have an old pc that use Windows XP lol.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

well yeah thats not much money in contrast to what the army and military spends, but what you need to think about is the fact that all that money is coming from us. from out tax dollars

Your tax money, I live in Walrusland!