[Update]Samsung laptops are blocking crucial Windows updates--Samsung Responds

jos
there's a problem with Samsung's update program: It forces laptops to ignore Microsoft's official Windows updates. Security researcher Patrick Barker explained in a blog post that Samsung laptops contain a piece of software called "Disable_Windowsupdate.exe."
The software, which blocks Windows updates, could leave Samsung laptops vulnerable to hackers. If a laptop doesn't run the most recent operating system, then hackers can exploit old flaws in software to install malicious programs. Even worse, Samsung silently downloads "Disable_Windowsupdate.exe" when you use a laptop, meaning that users likely don't know that they're not using the most recent operating system.

Samsung delivering the app via a non-secure protocol also means that if the server were to be compromised, it could allow an attacker to quietly install apps without you ever knowing about it.

In the meantime, if you’re a Samsung computer owner it’s worth checking for the presence of the tool at the below folder by opening a ‘run’ dialog (hit the Windows key + R) and paste in the below:

%ALLUSERPROFILE%\ProgramData\Samsung

Update:

Samsung claimed that it was not blocking updates to Windows entirely, and framed the practice around the notion of choice. "As part of our commitment to consumer satisfaction, we are providing our users with the option to choose if and when they want to update the Windows software on their products," said the company in an official statement on the matter.
it "will be issuing a patch through the Samsung Software Update notification process to revert back to the recommended automatic Windows Update settings within a few days," essentially restoring the default function of Windows Update as recommended by Microsoft.

Lol. Why is that even a thing with their laptops? Makes absolutely no sense to me.

Why would samsung even have a dedicated updating program in the first place? Seems a bit redundant. It would be best to use what's already IN the OS, not junk up people's computers with stupid bloatware. I would advise anybody getting an OEM manufactured computer/laptop to wipe it and reinstall windows, for a completely fresh installation without all the stupid shit.

Honestly, does anyone here own a Samsung laptop? I don't know a person who knows a person who knows a person that is even considering buying one.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

This is just evil 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

I think this will become more popular with Windows 10.

As with Windows 10 it forces Windows updates, including drivers to be installed. If you install beta unsigned drivers, or you want to use older drivers because there is a performance issue with the new driver for some old game, or some driver causes sleep/wake up issues, BSOD issue, or whatever (they are many reasons why you want to use beta or older version of drivers), Windows 10 Update will force install those drivers, whether you like it or not.

All you can do, with Windows 10 Pro, is delay a the setup of currently available update (there is no fine control to pick what you want). That is all. And that delay is only for a few days (you don't pick), and once times up, it will force install it.

I did post a user feedback, but it is not getting many votes, I guess people have yet to realize the issue it will bring. I am experiencing this now under Windows 10.

https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions/suggestions/8232813-hide-updates

Now is the time to vote.

I wonder if a community supported Windows Update replacer will be a thing.

As with Windows 10 it forces Windows updates, including drivers to be installed. If you install beta unsigned drivers, or you want to use older drivers because there is a performance issue with the new driver for some old game, or some driver causes sleep/wake up issues, BSOD issue, or whatever (they are many reasons why you want to use beta or older version of drivers), Windows 10 Update will force install those drivers, whether you like it or not.

All you can do, with Windows 10 Pro, is delay a the setup of currently available update (there is no fine control to pick what you want). That is all. And that delay is only for a few days (you don't pick), and once times up, it will force install it.

I did post a user feedback, but it is not getting many votes, I guess people have yet to realize the issue it will bring. I am experiencing this now under Windows 10.

https://windows.uservoice.com/forums/265757-windows-feature-suggestions/suggestions/8232813-hide-updates

Now is the time to vote.

All the sacrifices just to cater to the the uneducated users, that will make their system insecure even if it is fully updated because of the way they use it anyway...

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Honestly, does anyone here own a Samsung laptop? I don't know a person who knows a person who knows a person that is even considering buying one.

I have one from 2012, but with linux installed on it  :lol:

Couldn't make it even more obvious? "Disable_Windowsupdate.exe"? Really Samsung?

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

Now is the time to vote.

I thought the forcing of all updates was only for the Preview and they were going to disable that? I was under impression only Microsoft 1st-party updates are required, at least in final version?

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Welp, ill be taking a look at my Ativ Plus tonight. lol

Here is where I would keep my frolics if I had any.

Now is the time to vote.

In some ways I'm just glad that I've already got the latest (and last drivers) for most of my hardware. Though I'll be extremely annoyed if the Nvidia drivers ever get automatically updated through Windows Update I'm having enough issues with the ones above 350 as it is.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

In some ways I'm just glad that I've already got the latest (and last drivers) for most of my hardware. Though I'll be extremely annoyed if the Nvidia drivers ever get automatically updated through Windows Update I'm having enough issues with the ones above 350 as it is.

Well you'll be stuck getting it. The moment you'll install the older ones, Windows Update will force install the latest ones back.

I have no problem not being able to block/hide Windows updates. But Drivers too? That is silly.

Now is the time to vote.

Doesn't Microsoft only enforce OS updates (i.e. the stuff currently deployed via Windows Update)? Especially with the plethora of part-specific drivers (for example every motherboard manufacturer has something like 5 different NIC chips each with their own drivers on the Intel/Realtek/whatever website) forcing hardware driver updates just won't be feasible.

The site you linked to in http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/393023-samsung-laptops-are-blocking-crucial-windows-updates/#entry5307390only talks about OS updates, not drivers.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I feel like Samsung just hates their customers.

Reinstalling Windows is a process of taking the entire laptop apart because there's literally no way to enter the BIOS or even change the boot order by default in their Windows 8 laptops.

Not even through Windows 8's Advanced Restar menu?

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Well you'll be stuck getting it. The moment you'll install the older ones, Windows Update will force install the latest ones back.

I have no problem not being able to block/hide Windows updates. But Drivers too? That is silly.

Honestly if I end up having to pirate Windows 10 to not get the forced updates Windows 7 will be on my computer for a long time.

(The normal updates will affect me as I'm on 10/2 ADSL2, and my family more so as most of them are on Wireless, with one of them on pre-paid which cost $200 for 12GB (up from $180 for 12GB, though the price apparently plummeted to $140 for 16GB-which still is quite expensive) last year-and they normally have the 12GB last them the whole year as long as they keep an eye out for any Windows 7 updates that reset the preferences to automatic as only security updates are done to 'save' data ).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I own a Samsung NP900X4D.  Quite pleased with it too, after upgrading the SSD it's perfect for my (work-related) use.

No issues with Windows update here, I'm running Mint

My sister has an old Samsung, an NP-RF510 I think it was? It's way past due retirement, though, so she probably won't have to deal with this for long.

Honestly if I end up having to pirate Windows 10 to not get the forced updates Windows 7 will be on my computer for a long time.

(The normal updates will affect me as I'm on 10/2 ADSL2, and my family more so as most of them are on Wireless, with one of them on pre-paid which cost $200 for 12GB (up from $180 for 12GB, though the price apparently plummeted to $140 for 16GB-which still is quite expensive) last year-and they normally have the 12GB last them the whole year as long as they keep an eye out for any Windows 7 updates that reset the preferences to automatic as only security updates are done to 'save' data ).

Wow, 12 GB for the whole year!? This is fucking brutal...

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Almost everyone in my Country owns a Samsung computer. Time to time you'll see different brands but Samsung computers are extremely common here. South Korea btw.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

It doesn't matter if you are "merely delaying" the Windows Updates. People won't think to look for updates if they don't know they exist (and even if they do that, the likelihood of them actually installing the updates is low).

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

My friend has one, I don't remember which one though..

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Almost everyone in my Country owns a Samsung computer. Time to time you'll see different brands but Samsung computers are extremely common here. South Korea btw.

I should've seen that coming yet I didn't.  :lol:

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.