New headphones post like every other post in this section of LTT

iceballfunela

My budget is USD$150 plus or minus. Closed cans would be nice for a change... previous ones were open and I didn't really liked it. I listen to a range of music but nothing that needs a lot of bass. Surprise me.

ASUS ROG G75VX

Intel i7-3630QM 2.4GHz/3.4GHz Turbo | Nvidia GeForce 670MX 3GB OCed to 736MHz | 750GB HDD | Windows 8.1 | 24 GB 1600MHz RAM | Razer Goliathus Medium | Logitech G400s | Razer Kraken/ JBL J22 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX blue

My budget is USD$150 plus or minus. Closed cans would be nice for a change... previous ones were open and I didn't really liked it. I listen to a range of music but nothing that needs a lot of bass. Surprise me.

ATH m50x?

Spoiler

CPU intel potato2 | Motherboard xpotato69 | RAM DDRPotato | GPU potato 6969 Ti | Case potato curbiide | Storage WD potato GB grey | PSU lakesonic 69 potato Watts | Display(s)69" 0.5K potato 69*69 | Cooling 4 heatpipe fried potato | Keyboard 69 key potato switches | Mouse yukon gold potato | Sound 6.9 surround potato | Operating System OS69 potato

CPU I7 5700HQ |  RAM 8gb DDR3 | GPU GTX 960M | Storage 1 TB HGST HDD | Display 15.6" 1080p IPS panel | Keyboard Steelseries RGB | Operating System Windows 10

CPU R7 3800x |  RAM 32 GB 3200MHZ DDR4| GPU RX 5700XT Ref. | Storage 1TB m.2 NVME, 2x 500GB SSD, 4TB and 750gb hdd | Display LG 32GK850F-BKeyboard Aorus K7 with reds | PSU Corsair RM750X | Case Corsair 275R | Operating System Windows 10

ATH m50x?

I just don't get it with this headphone...it looks normal... what makes it so special?

ASUS ROG G75VX

Intel i7-3630QM 2.4GHz/3.4GHz Turbo | Nvidia GeForce 670MX 3GB OCed to 736MHz | 750GB HDD | Windows 8.1 | 24 GB 1600MHz RAM | Razer Goliathus Medium | Logitech G400s | Razer Kraken/ JBL J22 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX blue

I just don't get it with this headphone...it looks normal... what makes it so special?

Has a very balanced sound reproduction and the quality of the sound is expected from something more expensive. It is just has one of the best price to sound quality ratios out there.

Spoiler

CPU intel potato2 | Motherboard xpotato69 | RAM DDRPotato | GPU potato 6969 Ti | Case potato curbiide | Storage WD potato GB grey | PSU lakesonic 69 potato Watts | Display(s)69" 0.5K potato 69*69 | Cooling 4 heatpipe fried potato | Keyboard 69 key potato switches | Mouse yukon gold potato | Sound 6.9 surround potato | Operating System OS69 potato

CPU I7 5700HQ |  RAM 8gb DDR3 | GPU GTX 960M | Storage 1 TB HGST HDD | Display 15.6" 1080p IPS panel | Keyboard Steelseries RGB | Operating System Windows 10

CPU R7 3800x |  RAM 32 GB 3200MHZ DDR4| GPU RX 5700XT Ref. | Storage 1TB m.2 NVME, 2x 500GB SSD, 4TB and 750gb hdd | Display LG 32GK850F-BKeyboard Aorus K7 with reds | PSU Corsair RM750X | Case Corsair 275R | Operating System Windows 10

Used to be a 100 dollar headphone, at that price point it was very good. At ~150 it is sort of meh. There are better options like senn hd598, beyerdynamic dt770, and others.

Never let looks fool you.

Looks never tell you about the product *cough* *cough* Beats *cough*.

They sound good and are built well. I've had the ATH-M50s for over 2 years and they held up to abuse very well. They collapse and are good for traveling (I took mine with me when I was an exchange student in Germany). 

okok... other than m50x?

ASUS ROG G75VX

It's arguably the best you can do for $150. It's got a lot of accessories, a more "flat" premium sound and an amazing build quality. Check reviews from literally EVERY reviewer on youtube.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Used to be a 100 dollar headphone, at that price point it was very good. At ~150 it is sort of meh. There are better options like senn hd598, beyerdynamic dt770, and others.

did you help the op at all by recommending A: an open headphone: which OP said he didn't want or B: recommend a headphone which exceeds his budget.

as an owner of both the m50 and dt770 I have a tough time ranking one over the other but there is a glaring emptiness in the mids of the 770 it is not a blanket statement superior headphone.

Are they comfortable though... and whats the difference between the M40x and the M50x, because one is SGD$128 and the other is SGD$228 respectively.. its so much cheaper

ASUS ROG G75VX

I don't think the M50x is very flat, looking at FR charts. Be careful of calling headphones flat because you like the sound. I'm also waiting for SSL to be SSL in this thread.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Are they comfortable though... and whats the difference between the M40x and the M50x, because one is SGD$128 and the other is SGD$228 respectively.. its so much cheaper

Not much difference to be honest, and comfort is not really the strong suit, are you going to be using these for gaming or on the go listening?

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

Not much difference to be honest, and comfort is not really the strong suit, are you going to be using these for gaming or on the go listening?

Just listening at home... i like to use my earpods on the go... not something i would want to change in the near future

ASUS ROG G75VX

Just listening at home... i like to use my earpods on the go... not something i would want to change in the near future

Then no, there not very comfortable for in home use I have the M50x's purely for plane flight's and I would never want to use them at home as it would get really fatiguing, and I wpuld try to avoid the kind of passive noise cancelling that they have when I don't need them. If you want somrthing for home use, youre better off gettng a high quality open headphone, youre old headphones may of gave you the wrong impression or something but a good quality open headphone would be you're best bet in my opinion.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

Then no, there not very comfortable for in home use I have the M50x's purely for plane flight's and I would never want to use them at home as it would get really fatiguing, and I wpuld try to avoid the kind of passive noise cancelling that they have when I don't need them. If you want somrthing for home use, youre better off gettng a high quality open headphone, youre old headphones may of gave you the wrong impression or something but a good quality open headphone would be you're best bet in my opinion.

I had the Senns hd 558... i don't think they would give the wrong impression... I broke mine and sennheiser wouldn't get it replaced or RMA so I have to get new ones. The openness of the 558 was quite irritating especially if someone like my brother watches video or anyone is talking, I can hear them clearly. I should have thought it through but now that I have experienced it I think that I want closed headphones. The 558s were very bulky and I want something that is over ear but not overly huge. I bring then out occasionally but I usually plug my headphones into my ipad to watch videos, phone/computer to listen to music. Its not something I would use 24/7 because I mainly use my Creative T40 speakers which are great but I needed something to use when people are around me and I want to listen to music alone without interference.

ASUS ROG G75VX

Well, no one will hear your music and you wpn't hear them. You just have to keep in mind if youre the kind of person that would like passive noise cancellation, some people can stand it others can't I'm the type of person that wouldn't want them on my daily headphones but appreciate them when I'm say on a plane where I want to block out the outside world.

Well, no one will hear your music and you wpn't hear them. You just have to keep in mind if youre the kind of person that would like passive noise cancellation, some people can stand it others can't I'm the type of person that wouldn't want them on my daily headphones but appreciate them when I'm say on a plane where I want to block out the outside world.

Well, everyone has different preferences. I've been looking around and I think that I would get the M40x. Its like half the price of the M50x in Singapore and I don't need to wait 3 weeks for it. 

ASUS ROG G75VX

Well, everyone has different preferences. I've been looking around and I think that I would get the M40x. Its like half the price of the M50x in Singapore and I don't need to wait 3 weeks for it.

Exactly everyone has there tastes, just make sure you think youre that kind of person that would enjoy that.

The M40X are VERY flat and i like them for monitors. The M50X are not as flat (which makes them worse "monitors" imo), but they have more sparkle and stronger bass. 
Some other good alternatives are: DT770 (these need more power, so an amp is recommended), Custom One Pro (standar or studio), AKG K550 or K553, Shure SRH840 (these are uncomfortable)

I would personally pick the DT770 if i had an amp or the M50X if i didn't :)

Every goddamn thread, some jacknob has to spout off and recommend the M50x in the very first post. Invariably:

1. The M50X is the only real headphone they've owned/tried
  2. They offer no justification or if they do it's "utewberz said it was good"
  3. They fail to acknowledge the M50X's weaknesses or offer viable alternatives
  4. They ignore the OP's stated requirements or budget

Can we be over the M50X now? Maybe if that's the only thing you can think to post in a headphone recommendation thread, just keep your trap shut?

Every goddamn thread, some jacknob has to spout off and recommend the M50x in the very first post. Invariably:

Can we be over the M50X now? Maybe if that's the only thing you can think to post in a headphone recommendation thread, just keep your trap shut?

So... yes or no to M50x? Should I be getting something else that is better?

ASUS ROG G75VX

M50x limited edition.....

The title of this topic tickled me though. So a guy knows/realizes he got a question that has been asked (and answered) many times in the same forum in the same sub, yet chose to post the very same question anyway.....