Sliiiiiiiiiiightly confused

Rainbrew

I've been studying up on all of my GPU related things over the past two weeks, because I plan on upgrading from my gtx 560 somewhere before the release of the new Need For Speed. So far, with my budget, I've been considering the gtx 960 or the r9 280x. However, today, I've found that the gtx 960 isn't actually a very good card and is very overrated by some people and that the 280x is overall a better choice. A couple of questions: Should I go for the gtx 960 or something from the 280 line? Is the r9 380 even worth it and if I got a 200 series instead will the lack of native DX12 support be bad for future-proofing? Is the 280 greatly inferior to the 280x? Also are Palit, Club3D or Vertex3D reputable brands? Thanks in advance ^^

if "futureproofing" is a concern wait until dx 12.1 cards are rolling out...well more affordable ones.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

I think if you are worried about "future proofing" you should go with the R9 380. The R9 280/x supports DX12 but not all of its features. Any of the AMD choices listed will be better than the GTX 960 though.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

GTX 960 < R9 380 < 280x

I would go for a R9 285 or R9 380

Unless you can find a R9 290 for cheap

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

Goddamn I've never gotten such fast responses on a tech-related forum ever O_o. I'm concerned about future-proofing since I'm not exactly rich and I'd like to get a card that will last long and will be able to pull of 60fps on medium-high settings on most modern titles (main concern is, once again NFS but they haven't released system specs for it). So basically I should either get the 280x if I need a gpu now or pray to Jeebus for the gtx 970 to go down in price?

Goddamn I've never gotten such fast responses on a tech-related forum ever O_o. I'm concerned about future-proofing since I'm not exactly rich and I'd like to get a card that will last long and will be able to pull of 60fps on medium-high settings on most modern titles (main concern is, once again NFS but they haven't released system specs for it). So basically I should either get the 280x if I need a gpu now or pray to Jeebus for the gtx 970 to go down in price?

id say wait for the furry cards to release, they might give some good used 290X deals

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Will the AMD fury cards also cover the 275 USD-ish and below price range? I've only heard about the Fury X which is like a Titan and that's way out of what my budget can do. Seems like waiting for those will be the best for me if they do. 

Edit: NVM got mislead, Fury is just a titan competitor, I'll wait for card prices to drop thanks for the help guys