What kind of frame rate should I expect with this setup

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

I am currently attempting to build a mid range gaming computer with the folowing specs...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690k 3.5 GHz

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4gb Super SC ACX 2.0+

MOB: MSI ATX DDR3 2600

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR3 1600

HDD: Seagate 3TB Desktop SATA 6GB/s 64MB Cache

DVD-RW: Asus 24x serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical (Black)

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium OEM DVD ( Only buying this so I can get Windows 10)

Thermal Paste: ARC Silver 5 Thermal Compound 3.5 Grams

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 612 Ver.2 - Silent CPU Air Cooler with 6 Direct Contact Heatpipes and Folding Fin Structure

PSU: Corsair CX750M

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 - Mid Tower Computer Case With High Airflow

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What Frame rate should I expect with this setup on new next generation games like Grand Theft Auto V

It should perform quite well, however, may I suggest that you take down the power supply to about 500 or six hundred watts. Even on full load with a R9 390X and a six core i7 part, did Eurogamer pull 500 watts. Your rig is much less hungry. I would also go down to a hyper 212 Plus for the i5, even with overclocking it doesn't need that much money for cooling. I would also reduce the speed on the memory unless you're going to video edit, you're paying more money for no performance gains. I would then say go to eBay and pick up a GTX 780 for only $250 now (same as a GTX 960 4GB). They will max everything at 1080p and is an insane value. If you so much as sneeze wrong on it, PayPal will return you your money. 

Here are some links: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nvidia-PNY-Geforce-GTX-780-Graphics-card-/252003605779?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aac95dd13

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-GTX-780-Dual-FTW-w-ACX-Cooler-03G-P4-3784-KR-/252001029077?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aac6e8bd5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-GTX-780-Superclocked-ACX-Nvidia-3GB-384-Bit-GDDR5-PCI-Express-3-0-GeForce-/121677816340?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c54902214

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-GTX-780-SC-ACX-3GB-/291498000443?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43dea2803b

I am currently attempting to build a mid range gaming computer with the folowing specs...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 612 Ver.2 - Silent CPU Air Cooler with 6 Direct Contact Heatpipes and Folding Fin Structure

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What Frame rate should I expect with this setup on new next generation games like Grand Theft Auto V

Have any questions? just PM me

Jared Patten

60 fps at high or medium settings depending on the resolution, for what you want to do its just about perfect.  

"45 ACP because shooting twice is silly!"

For GTA V, it'll be pretty great. Expect anywhere from 60 FPS to 80 FPS.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Remember to use pcpartpicker :)

Other than that, looks good

You know that guy that games on a MacBook? I'm that guy.

Well it would be impossible to make a guess unless we knew what resolution you are playing at.  You should have put more money into your GPU if you are trying to play modern triple A games at high fps, but with medium-low settings you should get 60 fps at 1080p.

I have a very similar setup and in GTA 5 which I run completely maxed out I get about 40-45 FPS at 1080p.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Will you be primarily gaming? To me it seems a bit unbalanced...

How much would you save going non-K and a h97 mobo over the more expensive z97. Also the PSU might be considered overkill unless you plan on sli.

If you can squeeze in a 970 or a 290x with a non-k i5 you would profit a lot in gaming performance i think. Maybe others should comment on that as well.

It should perform quite well, however, may I suggest that you take down the power supply to about 500 or six hundred watts. Even on full load with a R9 390X and a six core i7 part, did Eurogamer pull 500 watts. Your rig is much less hungry. I would also go down to a hyper 212 Plus for the i5, even with overclocking it doesn't need that much money for cooling. I would also reduce the speed on the memory unless you're going to video edit, you're paying more money for no performance gains. I would then say go to eBay and pick up a GTX 780 for only $250 now (same as a GTX 960 4GB). They will max everything at 1080p and is an insane value. If you so much as sneeze wrong on it, PayPal will return you your money. 

Here are some links: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nvidia-PNY-Geforce-GTX-780-Graphics-card-/252003605779?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aac95dd13

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-GTX-780-Dual-FTW-w-ACX-Cooler-03G-P4-3784-KR-/252001029077?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aac6e8bd5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-GTX-780-Superclocked-ACX-Nvidia-3GB-384-Bit-GDDR5-PCI-Express-3-0-GeForce-/121677816340?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c54902214

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-GTX-780-SC-ACX-3GB-/291498000443?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43dea2803b

If you gave us a budget, and what you plan on doing with the PC I am sure we could build you something more balanced.

Thanks for all the great replys in such a short time :)

Jared Patten

Here are some links: 

Great sugestion but only thing is what Motherboard should I look into getting with a EVGA GTX 780 SC 3gb and a intel i5-4690?

Jared Patten

Great sugestion but only thing is what Motherboard should I look into getting with a EVGA GTX 780 SC 3gb and a intel i5-4690?

Any Z97 board will do. :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

60 fps at high or medium settings depending on the resolution, for what you want to do its just about perfect.  

Except for Arkham Knight , don't even expect 60FPS with your setup.

Except for Arkham Knight , don't even expect 60FPS with your setup.

I'm running with a EVGA Classified GTX 780 and an i7-3770k @4.5 GHz with HT turned on with max settings in that game, and I

m just pushing over 30FPS going through the city.