CS:GO rig under $700 CAD

ISfly10

Hey guys,

A friend of mine recommended that I come to this site to help me build my first gaming rig. I am a longtime Mac user and console gamer (get your ha-has out now) and my friends are trying to get me into CS:GO. I've installed it on my 2010 15" MBP (with dual-core i7, SSD, 8 gb ram - basically the very best I can make it) connected to a Dell U2415 (1200p) and I've only been getting about 40 fps at native resolution and everything set to low which is suboptimal.

So, clearly I need an upgrade on my five year old Mac to get somewhat serious about PC gaming. I've done some preliminary research, reading guides on bang-for-your-buck systems and I think I've got some ideas in mind (Pentium Anniversary Edition vs low-end i3, Radeon R7 vs 750 Ti). Ideally I'd like a micro or mini atx case, as I still want to use my MBP as my main machine and this one only for gaming really, so a smaller footprint is ideal. I've also read CS:GO is more CPU dependent than GPU dependent - if in your experience you believe this please consider that in the build.

I'd be willing to gust up to $800-900 if the additional cost really gains me a lot of additional value/future-proofing.

Thanks so much, and I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with!

EDIT: Thanks for the responses guys (except the toaster - WTF?) they all look very reasonable.

I see some laptop chatter. FWIW, this is the MBP I have: https://support.apple.com/kb/SP582?locale=en_US, with the core i7 and discrete gt330m with 512mb, added an OCZ SSD and 8 gb ram myself to it. So unless laptop integrated graphics have come a long, long way since then I'm skeptical.

welcome to the forums! give me a second ill make a list for you

@ISfly10

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($218.50 @ shopRBC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-HD3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($96.93 @ DirectCanada) 
Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($51.92 @ DirectCanada) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R7 370 2GB WINDFORCE 2X Video Card  ($189.99 @ NCIX) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($35.99 @ NCIX) 
Total: $701.27
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-22 18:04 EDT-0400

dont make posts if you dont have anything to say..

Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($54.95 @ Vuugo) 

Memory: G.Skill Value 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($59.99 @ Canada Computers) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R7 370 2GB WINDFORCE 2X Video Card  ($189.99 @ NCIX) 

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($35.99 @ NCIX) 

Total: $597.41

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-22 17:59 EDT-0400

You don't need more than that for just CSGO, it also gives you $$ to spare.

This is really all you need. Add keyboard and mouse

Motherboard: MSI H81M-E33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($44.99 @ Directron) 
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($47.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card  ($129.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 300W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($36.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $417.18
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-22 17:59 EDT-0400

"Rawr XD"

toasters-taster-144340.png

Pointless post, go toast urself

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Once you start playing PC games your going to want to play more then just CS. This system will play most game's at high ultra settings. ..http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xBV9ZLAnd here's a build for a bit less.     http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zjFLXL

Edit.. cant get the second build to be clickable... but just copy/paste it.

A laptop with HD 4000 graphics will be enough.

24 fps for that "cinematic" feel

you don't even need a GPU for cs:go

the onboard graphics can run it just fine

Not at a decent framerate.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

you don't even need a GPU for cs:go

the onboard graphics can run it just fine

Not for higher resolutions at solid 60 FPS. HD 4400 can only run it at 768p lowest settings to get "solid" 60 but sometimes still dips to mid-50s.

A laptop with HD 4000 graphics will be enough.

Why did you make yet another account...

"Rawr XD"

austin evans has some really good builds on his chanel. just watch the build that is in your budget. but if you only want cs:go to run you can get away with a 300-400$ pc really.

wow... pretty empty here...

60fps +-

That's not really optimal. Since the beginning of times, 101fps was the requirement. 

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

That's not really optimal. Since the beginning of times, 101fps was the requirement. 

On that note, using the rigs guys above are suggesting, do you think I'll get 100+ fps let's say at medium quality running at 1200p?

On that note, using the rigs guys above are suggesting, do you think I'll get 100+ fps let's say at medium quality running at 1200p?

The rigs I mentioned will  give you that easily max. They'll also play all the latest games on higher settings.

Yeah.

snip

This would be my recommendation if you want something really small.

i would also recommend an SSD if you can afford it. 

As for the CPU i opted fot the i3 as wou most probably wont be needing those 4 cores or be heavy multitasking much. Plus its an easy future upgrade if you wish.

This will also be enough for other games out there if your friends invite you. not just  CSGO, because its such a small price difference to upgrade the GPU when you already have all the other hardware anyways.

Silerstone SG13 (11.5 litre)

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/TD9dTW

BUT, just in case that is not small enough, this definitely will be :

Silverstone SG05 (10.78)

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/zp77Jx

Just for kicks i included this no upgrade path ish HTPC:

Silverstone ML05  (7 litre) ~ expect only about 100ish fps in CSGO on a high setttings 1080p.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/8kxq23

Thanks for the rigs and advice everyone - I might be able to scale my budget up a bit so my rig might change, but you've all given me a very good head start. Thank you for taking the time to help me!