First Match Disasters & Questions

Albatross

Okay, so I got into my first match after finally learning how to fly and shoot people (granted I'm not that good yet). I'm stoked. I'm so excited. I have been waiting to do this forever! I get into Broken Moon with one other player. He has a Hornet, equipped up the gahoo with stuff. I don't care. I just wanna play! So I'm duking it out with my Avenger (stock) and I'm getting hits, no kills. I still don't care because it is fun. However...

The guy starts RAMMING me to death. Over and over again, knowing I guess, that I'm a "noob", especially at strafing. He gathers over 4 kills against me with this. I get frustrated as I now understand how the rest of the community at RSI felt when this was a huge problem. It doesn't seem very sporty of the opponent, right? Whatever, I decide to get over it and try to out maneuver him. It is working. I'm hitting him and pressing him to act different to get this noob's virtual life towards his score. Then when he's near death he starts ramming himself into asteroids to avoid giving me the kill point. I mean every single kill that I nearly did.

I'm getting annoyed.

Finally though someone who has played the game before joins my team and we start giving him a run for his money. A moment later he gets a teammate...but things aren't going so well for him, as my teammate is destroying him fairly easy and without the childish tactics. He ends up quitting the damn game, causing his teammate to quit and thus forcing our team to lose.

This guy doesn't know good sportsmanship, does he? So anyways, how often does this ramming thing happen to you guys? Is it a rampant problem? How else can I better myself against such a tactic? Or at least make it so where one ram isn't an instant destroy?

Another question:

What are some ways I get edit my ini (or whatever it uses)? I'm on medium settings, get about 40fps in Arena Commander and 50-60 in the Hangar. Sometimes it drops to 11FPS (in battle) or freezes for like eight seconds. The computer I'm using for this is my friend's (he's letting me borrow for the week while he's gone) but it has a i5-4690k + a R9 280 with 8GB of ram (no SSD).

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

What game are you playing again ?

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

I've never had this issue for as long as I've played the game. I would simply advise to use maneuvering thrusters more and to always ensure that you are a safe distance from your target. 

Help me I'm surrounded by morons.

What game are you playing again ?

Look at the subforum before commenting. This is in Star Citizen.

The ramming issue is a known problem, yes. Basically, all (inexperienced pilot's) 1-on-1 fights end up like a jousting match and if you're not careful or strafing up/down at the last moment, you get rammed which usually results in the death of both of you. The trick is to go for a different approach; be smarter than your enemy. Fly backwards in decoupled mode, swerve between asteroids, taking small picks every time or orbit their ship giving them hell. The fun is developing your own tactic, making yourself the superior pilot.

That said, the crashing into the asteroid really is a dick move  <_< Combined with the quitting makes me think it's just a bad player. Such players need to be shown that's not OK, and get their asses kicked :D

Other than that, I'm just having fun with the game (although I haven't played in a very long time). Don't let this bad example steer you away from it.

EDIT: This link might help you a bit with making it run better on "lower spec" machines: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/339235-this-guy-managed-to-get-ac-to-run-on-integrated-graphics/

Edited by Wauthar

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

Look at the subforum before commenting. This is in Star Citizen.

Woopsy daisy ... Didn't notice ... Sorry ...

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

I've never had this issue for as long as I've played the game. I would simply advise to use maneuvering thrusters more and to always ensure that you are a safe distance from your target. 

It seemed like he was lightning quick. One moment he's super far away, next he's trying to ram me and by the time I turn around, he rushing by me again. Maneuvering thrusters? Which are those? I'm really new to this game, sorry if the questions are newbish. :blush:

The ramming issue is a known problem, yes. Basically, all (inexperienced pilot's) 1-on-1 fights end up like a jousting match and if you're not careful or strafing up/down at the last moment, you get rammed which usually results in the death of both of you. The trick is to go for a different approach; be smarter than your enemy. Fly backwards in decoupled mode, swerve between asteroids, taking small picks every time or orbit their ship giving them hell. The fun is developing your own tactic, making yourself the superior pilot.

That said, the crashing into the asteroid really is a dick move  <_< Combined with the quitting makes me think it's just a bad player. Such players need to be shown that's not OK, and get their asses kicked :D

Other than that, I'm just having fun with the game (although I haven't played in a very long time). Don't let this bad example steer you away from it.

EDIT: This link might help you a bit with making it run better on "lower spec" machines: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/339235-this-guy-managed-to-get-ac-to-run-on-integrated-graphics/

Yikes, I was afraid of that.

Oh, okay! I'll try that but how do I fly in decouple mode? I don't think training covered that...though it did turn all white after I learned how to land....

He had a huge advantage over me too. He could have just flown circles around me and gun me to death over a single kill I might have gotten. :lol: yea that's why I was thankful when someone joined my party. Then he quit. I'd give his name but that'd probably be messed up?

Thanks! I'll try the edits in the link (though it would have been nice if the OP included what the options were for).

Woopsy daisy ... Didn't notice ... Sorry ...

S'okay, I've done it before too. :P

what game is that

Star Citizen. :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

It seemed like he was lightning quick. One moment he's super far away, next he's trying to ram me and by the time I turn around, he rushing by me again. Maneuvering thrusters? Which are those? I'm really new to this game, sorry if the questions are newbish. :blush:

Yikes, I was afraid of that.

Oh, okay! I'll try that but how do I fly in decouple mode? I don't think training covered that...though it did turn all white after I learned how to land....

He had a huge advantage over me too. He could have just flown circles around me and gun me to death over a single kill I might have gotten. :lol: yea that's why I was thankful when someone joined my party. Then he quit. I'd give his name but that'd probably be messed up?

Thanks! I'll try the edits in the link (though it would have been nice if the OP included what the options were for).

S'okay, I've done it before too. :P

Star Citizen. :)

The maneuvering thrusters are the ones that are controleld by Q and E for left and right, R and F for up and down, and Ctrl S / Ctrl W for forward and back. They're the thrusters that aren't the primary one (which is for moving forward). I don't know about the Avenger, but I marked them on the hornet in the attached picture.

post-63138-0-88517600-1434986037_thumb.j

@Albatross Q, E, R, F and the left shift button are your friends here. And don't wait too long before strafing. It takes your ship some split seconds to accelerate, especially when you're at max speed. Also do some Vanduul Swarm and racing training first so you know how your ship and weapons handle. Certain ships handle certain maneuvers differently i.e. the Hornet is better at strafing vertically than horizontally.

The ramming and crashing thing can't be avoided. When I meet someone like that they usually die first because you can just shove everything you have into them but then the crash can't be avoided anymore I usually try to let them hit one of my wings which will result in a death spin if it doesn't take them out, so you can take them apart quickly. Other than that your only choice would be to switch servers/map/game mode. Battle Royale usually has the most traffic; Squadron battle is often overlooked and there are usually just 1 or 2 Games running.

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

Thanks for the replies guys! I'd rather not be a total fool in battle and drag down my team if I can help it. ^_^

@ItsComrade

Ah! That makes lots of sense! I was using just w and r to strafe. I thought left shift was a speed boost and didn't know f was used in ship (thought it was only as an Avatar). That certainly helps! I'm going to apply it to Vanduul swarm for practice. If I meet that guy again he won't be repeating that on me for sure. haha

So what does w and s do by itself then? Move forward and backward, right? I do know that CAPS can lock me in place so I can pause and shoot and that y is scan for target, x is cycle through (forget the term) flares and z to deploy them.

@Napper198

Yea I was doing Vanduul Swarm for some practice as the Training part "broke" after teaching me to land. I'm not sure if that's the end or it is a problem on my end but I'll go back to training now again.

Speaking of which! One of his rams actually clipped my left wing and he started spinning like crazy. I thought it was hilarious because I got a ton of damage on him before he crashed himself into an asteroid. :lol:

I think I was in Battle Royale, was the game version you had to deplete tickets to before the timer ran out. As for racing, I don't see that available for me to play. :( I'll check again!

*is there a way to "message" on the game? Like a shoutbox or something? I met someone who wants to play/practice with me but I have no idea how to add him or talk to him. Or do you do that through the forum only?

Thanks for the replies guys! I'd rather not be a total fool in battle and drag down my team if I can help it. ^_^

@ItsComrade

Ah! That makes lots of sense! I was using just w and r to strafe. I thought left shift was a speed boost and didn't know f was used in ship (thought it was only as an Avatar). That certainly helps! I'm going to apply it to Vanduul swarm for practice. If I meet that guy again he won't be repeating that on me for sure. haha

So what does w and s do by itself then? Move forward and backward, right? I do know that CAPS can lock me in place so I can pause and shoot and that y is scan for target, x is cycle through (forget the term) flares and z to deploy them.

@Napper198

Yea I was doing Vanduul Swarm for some practice as the Training part "broke" after teaching me to land. I'm not sure if that's the end or it is a problem on my end but I'll go back to training now again.

Speaking of which! One of his rams actually clipped my left wing and he started spinning like crazy. I thought it was hilarious because I got a ton of damage on him before he crashed himself into an asteroid. :lol:

I think I was in Battle Royale, was the game version you had to deplete tickets to before the timer ran out. As for racing, I don't see that available for me to play. :( I'll check again!

*is there a way to "message" on the game? Like a shoutbox or something? I met someone who wants to play/practice with me but I have no idea how to add him or talk to him. Or do you do that through the forum only?

In 'normal' mode (in which you spawn) you are in coupled mode. W and S regulate your throttle, from 0 to 100%. A and D rolls and mouse is pitch (IIRC, I don't know aviation jargon ;)) E and Q are to strafe right and left respectively, and R and F are up and down. Shift is indeed the afterburner, but can also be used to 'amp' up your secondary/maneuvering thrusters. Say you hold F to go down and press shift, your downward acceleration increases.

If you press CAPS LOCK, you switch your ship over to decoupled mode which lets you move more freely, so to say. If you were to move forward and decouple, you can rotate your whole ship backwards while still moving forward (easy to hit/shoot at targets that are pursuing you). Some people prefer to fly decoupled alone, because it gives them more control over the ship, but it also makes it more prone to drifting away. Here, afterburner and the strafing keys are your best friend and need some serious practice before becoming good at it. There is one video I remember of where a guy completes a whole race in a Hornet in decoupled mode. The leading he does is surprisingly well done :D 

The Spacebar is the general brake and can be amplified by (you guessed it) using the afterburner. X and C are indeed your countermeasures to avoid missiles. And I think Left CTRL is to lock your targeting system in the middle, so you get a more joystick feel when using the mouse (which I prefer with my 325a).

Hope this helps a bit ;)

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

@Wauther

Firstly let me say that guy knows how to fly! That was impressive! haha

Secondly and to the point;

Yes, that helps! I'm stsill gonna have to practice it but knowing what the buttons do helps a lot! And decoupled mode explains why sometimes I'd fly with too much straying/drifting. I couldn't control my ship at once point due to the drifting and smashed right into an asteroid. I thought I was hit but I wasn't.

I'm loading up the game now to start practicing. Hopefully I can get loads better by at least a week's time. :lol:

@ItsComrade

@Napper198

Did you play the flight tutorial? It goes over all of that.W and S are throttle up and down, not forward and backward. If you hit Ctrl + W or Ctrl + S it will do maneuvering thrusters forward and backward. Ctrl + S while your throttle is at 0 will push you backwards.

In 'normal' mode (in which you spawn) you are in coupled mode. W and S regulate your throttle, from 0 to 100%. A and D rolls and mouse is pitch (IIRC, I don't know aviation jargon ;)) E and Q are to strafe right and left respectively, and R and F are up and down. Shift is indeed the afterburner, but can also be used to 'amp' up your secondary/maneuvering thrusters. Say you hold F to go down and press shift, your downward acceleration increases.

If you press CAPS LOCK, you switch your ship over to decoupled mode which lets you move more freely, so to say. If you were to move forward and decouple, you can rotate your whole ship backwards while still moving forward (easy to hit/shoot at targets that are pursuing you). Some people prefer to fly decoupled alone, because it gives them more control over the ship, but it also makes it more prone to drifting away. Here, afterburner and the strafing keys are your best friend and need some serious practice before becoming good at it. There is one video I remember of where a guy completes a whole race in a Hornet in decoupled mode. The leading he does is surprisingly well done :D

The Spacebar is the general brake and can be amplified by (you guessed it) using the afterburner. X and C are indeed your countermeasures to avoid missiles. And I think Left CTRL is to lock your targeting system in the middle, so you get a more joystick feel when using the mouse (which I prefer with my 325a).

Hope this helps a bit ;)

Dayumm that's some fine piloting.

I think you will find no matter what game you play there are always those who can't take playing the game fair. looking at gta and all the hackers. that doesnt mean everybody in star citizen is bad. 

Did you play the flight tutorial? It goes over all of that.W and S are throttle up and down, not forward and backward. If you hit Ctrl + W or Ctrl + S it will do maneuvering thrusters forward and backward. Ctrl + S while your throttle is at 0 will push you backwards.

I just realized I said land...I meant take off. lol

Anyways, I tried to. But once I get out of the hanger the screen goes white and all I hear is my character breathing heavily.

I think you will find no matter what game you play there are always those who can't take playing the game fair. looking at gta and all the hackers. that doesnt mean everybody in star citizen is bad. 

True! Yea, I know, just felt frustrated by the disappointment of my first match. :(

I just realized I said land...I meant take off. lol

Anyways, I tried to. But once I get out of the hanger the screen goes white and all I hear is my character breathing heavily.

True! Yea, I know, just felt frustrated by the disappointment of my first match. :(

they get better. come out to do a match with the Org and I sometime, we all play fair

they get better. come out to do a match with the Org and I sometime, we all play fair

Yep, we are meeting up this weekend