Final Solution

Monarch36

So earlier this week I posted about upgrading my CPU and motherboard so I won't bottleneck my new GPU, so I have gathered some cash and I figured this

CPU - AMD FX 8350 8-Core

Mobo - Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P DDR3 (sorry if I butchered the name) 70$

These two to run my new GTX 970 2.0 SSC ACX

If anyone has any history with this mobo and CPU combination please feel free to post feedback, OR if you have a better mobo they recommend (preferably around the same price) 

Thanks - Monarch :)

If you are gaming, which I assume based on that card...dont.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

dont but the 8350 now. At this time it is a horrible waste of money.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

By upgrading from FX 6300 to FX 8350 you will get exactly 0 benefit in gaming except that you will just throw your money away. (Nevermind you have A8 5500). I would suggest you to go for i5 4440/4460.

The 8350 bottlenecks both my 760s in some games, it will not bottleneck the 970 BUT that is a large waste of money. Go with Intel and wait till skylake so you have room to upgrade.

blackshades on

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JDWy8d

The 8 core FX CPU really isn't made for gaming

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

So earlier this week I posted about upgrading my CPU and motherboard so I won't bottleneck my new GPU, so I have gathered some cash and I figured this

CPU - AMD FX 8350 8-Core

Mobo - Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P DDR3 (sorry if I butchered the name) 70$

These two to run my new GTX 970 2.0 SSC ACX

If anyone has any history with this mobo and CPU combination please feel free to post feedback, OR if you have a better mobo they recommend (preferably around the same price) 

Thanks - Monarch :)

how did you come to this conclusion

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

So what im gathering is that everyone is recommending not to even bother with the AMD couple, and instead go Intel?

Does anyone have any specific reasons why i should go with the slower quad core CPU, over the faster 8 core? 

(other than AMD sucks) @itachipirate

So what im gathering is that everyone is recommending not to even bother with the AMD couple, and instead go Intel?

Does anyone have any specific reasons why i should go with the slower quad core CPU, over the faster 8 core? 

think of it like this

an old 8 cylinder engine won't be as powerful as a newer 6 cylinder engine

@techguru Being a car guy that totally makes sense to me, but with the i5.. would a slower clock and boost speed and cores really make a difference? Also I have limited knowledge of Intel CPU's seeing how i have my one computer build (being AMD)

all you really have to understand is that 95% of the time...intel cpu is the better option..more powerful cores ....doing more instructions at the same time...vs the amd chips

intel also does this with less power and less heat

So yes, for gaming your saying the I5 would be a better option? @techguru

not even just for gaming

for everything

video editing

production work

etc..

Don't put it as "Don't bother with AMD" or you'll become a fanboy

The FX CPUs are better for servers and other multithreaded/professional applications because of how the architecture is made, they're high core-count CPUs with low per-core performance. The FX CPUs also have an architecture that is several years old (4 years I think?) which is still just a re-hash of an older architecture.

The i5-4460 is running 4 more powerful cores which benefits gaming but is worse for server-type loads. The 4460 is also based off of a very new architecture, and has an architecture that handles gaming very well

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

Thanks for the input @itachipirate @techguru so the i5 will not bottleneck the 970? and another thing is, is this i5 the same socket type as the newer i5's like the k series? (4690k)

Thanks for the input @itachipirate @techguru so the i5 will not bottleneck the 970? and another thing is, is this i5 the same socket type as the newer i5's like the k series? (4690k)

yes

all 1150

I should probably mention

the new skylake cpu's will be out in the fall

so if you can..I might consider waiting for those

since it will be a new socket type for those

It's the same socket. The 4460 won't bottleneck the GTX 970

@techguru Being a car guy that totally makes sense to me, but with the i5.. would a slower clock and boost speed and cores really make a difference? Also I have limited knowledge of Intel CPU's seeing how i have my one computer build (being AMD)

Okay let me explain to you how per core performance works using automotives.

A CPU is like a engine.

Clock speed=Max RPM

Cores=Cylinders

Microarchitecture(IPC)=Cylinder displacement

The FX-8350 specs like this.

-8 cylinders

-8000 max RPM

-20 cubic inches per cylinder

The i5 4460 specs like this.

-4 cylinders

-6400 max RPM

-50 cubic inches per cylinder

You now may think that they perform almost identically, but there's a catch. You are limited to the number of spark plugs that the engine can use, based on how many cores each task uses.

Games only use 4 cores so you only get 4 spark plugs.

That makes the i5 run exactly like it should.

The 8350 instantly throws out half of its theoretical performance.

Now what would win in a drag race in this situation, that's the best CPU.

If you're buying the FX 8350, it's basically a dead end for AMD if you're planning to upgrade again.. You would have to switch to Intel CPU and mobo, since AMD has been shitting on their CPUs for the last 5 years.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub