Delid a Intel CPU without a razor blade

Here is a video on how to delid a Ivy bridge/Haswell CPU without a razor blade. It's a much safer way to remove the IHS.

This is not my video but I thought it could help many of you, including myself when I upgrade my computer.

Of course! Hit it with a hammer! What doesn't that help with.

It seems like a lot of people prefer this method because it eliminates the chance that you'll slice through a trace with the razor.  But of course you're still whacking the thing!  No matter what, if you're going to de-lid your CPU you're taking a risk. 

Friendly reminder to the amateurs out there that delidding your Intel CPU will absolutely void your warranty. That means they will not replace or fix your processor should something go wrong. So keep that in mind before taking that risk. You can read more about the warranty here.

I saw this really funny comment under the video

"In the beginning, there was man. Then, man created tools. Then, really smart men created microprocessors but didn't apply good thermal paste. Then, slightly less smart but still enterprising men whacked the shit out of the microprocessors with hammers so that they would run cooler and give no gaming performance benefits. Oh, the humanity."

Anyone here ever run a delidded CPU without an IHS so the cooler makes direct contact with the CPU die. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Anyone here ever run a delidded CPU without an IHS so the cooler makes direct contact with the CPU die. 

I remember seeing someone try that on a forum, it didn't have any better results if I remember correctly.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

Yepp! but mines laptop cpu so I don't think that counts.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Yeah, I'm running a naked die. However I don't have any good comparisons because I de lidded and switched to a custom loop. Right now I only have a dirty 4.12GHz oc and my fans run at 650 rpm and max temp @ibt is about 60 deg. I think I put too much thermal compound on there or I didn't fasten it enough (but cracking the die seems scary).

I will overclock this weekend but I probably won't reseat the water block.

I remember seeing someone try that on a forum, it didn't have any better results if I remember correctly.

That's probably because most people who delid and relid use CLU as TIM. It's really high quality but seems hard to get off. It basically is liquid metal thus making it as if there would be only one layer of thermal compound instead of the two.

If I'd have to do it again I'd delid+relid with CLU because then you can mount the cooler easier and without any fear of cracking the die.

I've delidded both ways with a razor blade and the hammer method. It's a jarring motion that just cracks the seal and its lifted off super easy. Every delidding that I do from now on will be the hammer method. IB is fairly straight forward but Haswell has those extra transistors on the side that'd make me nervous using a razor.

I think I will delid my CPU and post before and after results with OC when I upgrade.

Of course! Hit it with a hammer! What doesn't that help with.

It works for Jeremy Clarkson from Topgear why shouldn't it work for us? :D

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

if the clamps on the vice are metal and you tighten the ihs to much, the vice may leave impressions in the ihs that have to be filed or grinded down after.

looks like the video posted show a guy using a vice with rubber on the clamps...recommended.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King