I converted a peasant...Observations after 4 weeks

Linusinium

A little background first. About 3 years ago, I deviated from the typical gaming PC build, I went with a modest HTPC setup. I5 2400 (non K) 2x4GB 1333 MHz sticks, 520W PSU, 128GB SSD for the OS and a 7950 GPU. It served extremely well, even after driving a 1440p monitor with it.

A good friend of mine wanted to get into PC gaming for a long time but couldn't afford a proper PC setup, since he was starting from scratch. He tried to build one a few years ago, even bought a few components but ultimately failed to secure the budget for the most expensive parts. His girlfriend goes on shopping sprees that sabotage his effort to build the PC or just save up money. Eventually he just gave up and sold the parts, doesn't make enough money so it was easier for him to get a 360 even though the 360 and xbox live ended up costing more all these years, he got the console soon after it launched and wasn't buying the cheapest annual membership, was paying monthly fees.

Recently I decided to upgrade and started from scratch myself. I had decided a long time ago to give him the HTPC and to get him started with proper gaming. Wiped the HTPC and set it up for him. Bought Witcher 3 and a couple of other games for him, the most relevant PC titles from the past few years.

Once I told him he's getting my PC, he sold his 360, the games he collected over the years were more valuable than the console itself. He canceled the xbox subscription and bought a decent 1080p monitor and storage. He was playing the 360 games and watching movies on a ancient 720p TV.

Fast forward to a month ago, he texted me to let me know the monitor arrived. I grabbed the HTPC and went over to his place. He had a few people over so after I got there, I went into the other room and set everything up while he was entertaining his guests. After I set it all up, I joined him and the guests, I could tell he was getting increasingly anxious to see the setup. Half an hour later, guests left so I pulled the curtains and "unveiled" the present.

He's a huge RPG fan and the last notable title he played was Dragon Age: Inquisition on the 360. I fired up Witcher 3 and let the game do the rest.

Over the past month, we hung out a few times, he can't get enough of PC gaming now. To be honest, I envy him a little because he's experiencing a few games for the first time and I miss that feel of playing a great game for the first time. He was clueless to many great games that have come out in the last 10 years.

The 7950 and the rest of the HTPC should hold up well for 1080p in the near future. I'll give him my 970 and the 1440p monitor too once I decide my GPU upgrade path. I've also introduced him to trading forums on popular tech sites, that was an eye opener for him too. He's sworn off consoles for good, he's gushing over FEAR, Dishonored and Crysis but he's absolutely hooked on Witcher 3. He did the math, looks like he spent more than a grand total on the 360. Says the biggest regret is not using credit to buy a PC instead.

There was some unpredictable euphoria too, I never knew someone could get so excited about an ad blocker lol. He used to browse on his girlfriend old Apple laptop, it's so old I couldn't figure out which model it is. He's watching E3 coverage and he's all smiles knowing he'll be able to play those games too.

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

2 Years ago my friends convinced me to move off of PS3 + Macbook to something more serious as they wanted me to play Planetside 2. Now I'm here. 

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

A little background first. About 3 years ago, I deviated from the typical gaming PC build, I went with a modest HTPC setup. I5 2400 (non K) 2x4GB 1333 MHz sticks, 520W PSU, 128GB SSD for the OS and a 7950 GPU. It served extremely well, even after driving a 1440p monitor with it.

A good friend of mine wanted to get into PC gaming for a long time but couldn't afford a proper PC setup, since he was starting from scratch. He tried to build one a few years ago, even bought a few components but ultimately failed to secure the budget for the most expensive parts. His girlfriend goes on shopping sprees that sabotage his effort to build the PC or just save up money. Eventually he just gave up and sold the parts, doesn't make enough money so it was easier for him to get a 360 even though the 360 and xbox live ended up costing more all these years, he got the console soon after it launched and wasn't buying the cheapest annual membership, was paying monthly fees.

Recently I decided to upgrade and started from scratch myself. I had decided a long time ago to give him the HTPC and to get him started with proper gaming. Wiped the HTPC and set it up for him. Bought Witcher 3 and a couple of other games for him, the most relevant PC titles from the past few years.

Once I told him he's getting my PC, he sold his 360, the games he collected over the years were more valuable than the console itself. He canceled the xbox subscription and bought a decent 1080p monitor and storage. He was playing the 360 games and watching movies on a ancient 720p TV.

Fast forward to a month ago, he texted me to let me know the monitor arrived. I grabbed the HTPC and went over to his place. He had a few people over so after I got there, I went into the other room and set everything up while he was entertaining his guests. After I set it all up, I joined him and the guests, I could tell he was getting increasingly anxious to see the setup. Half an hour later, guests left so I pulled the curtains and "unveiled" the present.

He's a huge RPG fan and the last notable title he played was Dragon Age: Inquisition on the 360. I fired up Witcher 3 and let the game do the rest.

Over the past month, we hung out a few times, he can't get enough of PC gaming now. To be honest, I envy him a little because he's experiencing a few games for the first time and I miss that feel of playing a great game for the first time. He was clueless to many great games that have come out in the last 10 years.

The 7950 and the rest of the HTPC should hold up well for 1080p in the near future. I'll give him my 970 and the 1440p monitor too once I decide my GPU upgrade path. I've also introduced him to trading forums on popular tech sites, that was an eye opener for him too. He's sworn off consoles for good, he's gushing over FEAR, Dishonored and Crysis but he's absolutely hooked on Witcher 3. He did the math, looks like he spent more than a grand total on the 360. Says the biggest regret is not using credit to buy a PC instead.

There was some unpredictable euphoria too, I never knew someone could get so excited about an ad blocker lol. He used to browse on his girlfriend old Apple laptop, it's so old I couldn't figure out which model it is. He's watching E3 coverage and he's all smiles knowing he'll be able to play those games too.

Now all we need to do is convert a dickhead (you) into a normal person who stops trying to control peoples lives :)

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

*claps* That, Was beautiful 

HEY HEY HEY, He didn't control his life, The other guy wanted a PC

Yep, I just noticed that, so really the op didn't convert any peasant, the "peasant" made his own choice...congrats OP on trying to make a title that will give you the acknowledgement you desire in this community.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

Such an awesome friend. Kinda how I started building my own gaming PC's. But my friend just  gave me a video card. Before that Id always game on my aunt's pc. I was hooked ever since.

I don't care where people play their games. I hate console/pc elitists, they fuck up the fun for everyone else involved. 

ALL HEIL THE GLORIOUS GAMING RACE

but you should buy a pc lel

Mobo: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P CPU: AMD FX 8350 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 8gb (2x4gb@1600Mhz) GPU: Gigabyte R9 280x (factory oc) PSU: Thermaltake SmartSE 730w Case: Corsair 200R

Blog thingy <----

Yep, I just noticed that, so really the op didn't convert any peasant, the "peasant" made his own choice...congrats OP on trying to make a title that will give you the acknowledgement you desire in this community.

Hey I don't even say anything when he picks up the controller. I just watch him scramble to switch to the mouse+kb when he tries to play FPS games.

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

Hey I don't even say anything when he picks up the controller. I just watch him scramble to switch to the mouse+kb when he tries to play FPS games.

Your title says it all I'm afraid.

"I converted a peasant.."

You want gratitude for converting a console gamer to pc, a friend of yours who you deemed a "peasant" (some friend you are) and the fact is you didn't even convert him...it was his own choice.

Edit, it's a cool thing what you done for him as it was his own choice and you helped him get there, but to say you converted a peasant and that  peasant being your own friend is just....Meh

You want gratitude for converting a console gamer to pc, a friend of yours who you deemed a "peasant" (some friend you are) and the fact is you didn't even convert him...it was his own choice.

Edit, it's a cool thing what you done for him as it was his own choice and you helped him get there, but to say you converted a peasant and that  peasant being your own friend is just....Meh

No, I don't want or need a gratitude. Yes, he is a peasant as I have let him know on multitude of occasions. He does have some redeeming qualities, in his defense.

At this point I have to kindly request you stop posting in my thread.

No, I don't want or need a gratitude. Yes, he is a peasant as I have let him know on multitude of occasions. He does have some redeeming qualities, in his defense.

At this point I have to kindly request you stop posting in my thread.

Why is he a peasant? because he plays console? So I have the right to call you a twat then?

Bellends like you ruin the pc community.

Why is he a peasant? because he plays console? So I have the right to call you a twat then?

Bellends like you ruin the pc community.

Please stop commenting on this gaming fascist's post kind sir, you are making him feel bad.

Mobo: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P CPU: AMD FX 8350 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 8gb (2x4gb@1600Mhz) GPU: Gigabyte R9 280x (factory oc) PSU: Thermaltake SmartSE 730w Case: Corsair 200R

Blog thingy <----

Please stop commenting on this gaming fascist's post kind sir, you are making him feel bad.

Lmao, and so he should...to quote a line from his post "A good friend of mine"

A good friend who he calls a peasant....so low.

It's not to say what he's done isn't a good thing, and I'm sure his friend will be over the moon...but to be a bellend towards him because he plays console is just a dick move.

Which I will gladly remind him of all day.

he always wanted one, now try to convert one that plays on ps4 and says , PC gaming is more expensive,graphics are the same, bugs etc.

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

he always wanted one, now try to convert one that plays on ps4 and says , PC gaming is more expensive,graphics are the same, bugs etc.

Funny, as it happens me and the convert have a common friend that fits this perpetrator description, a die hard next genner. 

Funny, as it happens me and the convert have a common friend that fits this perpetrator description, a die hard next genner. 

I moved from next gen, I bought a ps4.

Later I realized that I bought it for the upgraded graphics and possibly upgraded framerate...which made me think I should just move to pc.

But again, leave him be.

How nice of you calling your friend a peasant.

No. seriously, can you people stop being dicks about that? Or at least call yourself something like royal PC twats?

I'm telling the truth! I AM a 12 year old girl!

Make sure you post this on reddit as well, then you can get all the internet points...

smh.

This is why I've sort of been on the fence of going all the way one or another.

Because many PCMR members do attack consoles but it's as if preference isn't a thing. 

Personally I don't choose to take sides, these are companies we're talking about. It's rather ridiculous to religiously love a company.

I like some of what Sony does, I also like what some of what LG, Apple, Motorola, and so on. does.  

Personally I think when I build my PC, I'll also buy a PS4. Why? Because most of my friends play on PSN also a couple of the

exclusives to the PS4 [bloodborne, The Last of Us, Etc.]. 

I agree PCs are technically superior to consoles, however that doesn't warrant the hate that many PC purist have.

Similar story for the unwarranted Apple hate, sure Macs cost more and sure OS X doesn't have as much flexibility or certain program/app support.  

However where OS X shines is the fact that it has no fragmentation

and better support since Apple makes both the hardware and software and it just in general gets out of the way when you need to do work. Though Windows shines in the fact that you have more control over what you can do but at the same time Windows often isn't as reliable or as secure [OS X can get viruses too, but there aren't as many of them]. 

Either-way if your friend was happy on their console, that's sort of a douche-bag move to say that they're wrong just because they don't

play on the same platform as you. 

I think that, this is almost comparable to a homophobe telling a gay person that they're wrong because they're different. That is intolerable and impolite. 

/rantover

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Bloody hell I've never seen someone take a tongue in cheek saying so seriously, are you like this with everything?

@OP Thats pretty cool, you'll have to show him some of the retro classics at some point :D  

Bloody hell I've never seen someone take a tongue in cheek saying so seriously, are you like this with everything?

Here's the thing; it's not funny anymore, it's just annoying and makes the PC community look like elitist dicks.

You know, it originally was a joke, not a tongue in cheek insult.

I'm telling the truth! I AM a 12 year old girl!

@OP Thats pretty cool, you'll have to show him some of the retro classics at some point :D  

Here's the thing; it's not funny anymore, it's just annoying and makes the PC community look like elitist dicks.

You know, it originally was a joke, not a tongue in cheek insult.

^^^^ this.

It makes the pc community look like complete bell ends.

to answer you question, no I don't take everything so seriously, but the whole peasant thins is just horrid frankly. And let me tell you something, when I was a console gamer no one I knew gave to flying fucks about pc, meanwhile all pc gamers cared about was getting the best rig so they could call console gamers peasant...mugs.

^^^^ this.

It makes the pc community look like complete bell ends.

to answer you question, no I don't take everything so seriously, but the whole peasant thins is just horrid frankly. And let me tell you something, when I was a console gamer no one I knew gave to flying fucks about pc, meanwhile all pc gamers cared about was getting the best rig so they could call console gamers peasant...mugs.

Then let them look like bell ends if they enjoy the humour then whatever. No need to shit on someone for helping out a friend who was clearly interested in PC gaming from the start.