Microsoft will give you Windows 10 for free if you test it

SansVarnic
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

Ok update. Microsoft has clarified further. And it is like I was saying:

-> If you have Windows 10 Insider Preview, and you did a clean install of it. Your license remain genuine as long as you REMAIN in the beta program. If you leave, you need to buy Windows 10.

-> If you have Windows 10 Insider Preview, and you upgraded Windows 7 or 8 to it, then you can leave any time the Windows insider program, and revert back to the officially released Windows 10 build. Your license remains valid.

-> If you have Windows XP or Vista (or older and somehow try and get Windows 10 for free), or a pirated version of Windows and you want to get legit by not paying. You can't. The best you can do is the first point above, where you can get Windows 10 for free, but you become a beta tester. As a beta test, or Windows Insider, they are increase telemetry data collecting from you, you use an unstable build of Windows, you are the tester of Windows latest Windows updates, including security updates, which may results in data loss, or program compatibility issues, and be forced to upgrade to the latest build as they come, but you are exchanging all that, to have for free Windows 10.

-> Microsoft says, if you want to have Windows 10 for free, and you are currently running Windows 10 Insider Preview, and you want to get out, and remain to the last official release version, and you did a clean install of Windows 10 Preview: You have no choice to format, install back Windows 7 or 8, and upgrade to Windows 10. Do it before the free upgrade offer ends to secure your Windows 10 license.

Source: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

What if I used it before, but switched back to Win8.1? I'm on insider program

If you are on Windows 8.1, you should have the Windows icon next to the clock to reserve your copy of Windows 10. This will be a guanine non-Beta, official release, Windows 10.

In Windows 10, you'll have this options under "Windows Update" > "Advanced options".

prevout.png

My button is disabled because I am on the technical preview program., But it will be enabled on the official release. You click on it, and you are no longer part of Windows Insider.

If you are on Windows 8.1, you should have the Windows icon next to the clock to reserve your copy of Windows 10. This will be a guanine non-Beta, official release, Windows 10.

In Windows 10, you'll have this options under "Windows Update" > "Advanced options".

prevout.png

My button is disabled because I am on the technical preview program., But it will be enabled on the official release. You click on it, and you are no longer part of Windows Insider.

I already reserved it and I know it, anyways I'm installing Win10 in a VM just to be sure.

AMD 860K @ 4.3GHz ; Kingston HyperX Fury 2400MHz ; Asus A88XM-Plus ; Sapphire R9 270X 2GB ; 600W Tacens Radix VII AG 80+Silver  ; Cooler Master TX3 Evo

Ok. I don't know what to do here, you guys keep making threads everywhere on this forum.

It is getting annoying.

As I said in another thread (which I think this is the or 4th time I am copying and pasting this):

Yes, but it must be noted that you are forced to have a joined Microsoft account, forced to the Insider program (meaning be ready to upgrade your Windows every month minimum, so if you have a bandwidth cap or not fast Internet, that could be a problem), and also you'll be an unstable environment (beta OS), which could have critical bug which could results in permanent data loss (and this is not one of those rare thing. It happened on Windows 10 beta, Windows 7 beta, and I THINK Vista beta as well, but don't quote me that.. its been too long), or unexpected system re-install.

So don't jump of joy.

i think this will clarify some confusion from the earlier posts  

"Microsoft will soon require testers to use a Microsoft Account to receive updated builds, and even when Windows 10 is finalized testers can opt-in and keep receiving future test versions in the coming months" 

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/20/8818383/microsoft-windows-10-free-for-testers

so YES you will need to be an insider and registered to get the "free" insider version BUT no you will not be forced to keep receiving the insider updates monthly,  its

an OPT IN feature people can do

"Microsoft will soon require testers to use a Microsoft Account to receive updated builds, and even when Windows 10 is finalized testers can opt-in and keep receiving future test versions in the coming months" 

so YES you will need to be an insider and registered to get the "free" insider version BUT no you will not be forced to keep receiving the insider updates monthly,  its

this was said already.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

The argument in this is becoming repetitive. Please read previous posts made before replying.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

this was said already.

as i quoted in my prev post which is the "best Answer" chosen, it states  "Yes, but it must be noted that you are forced to have a joined Microsoft account, forced to the Insider program (meaning be ready to upgrade your Windows every month minimum, so if you have a bandwidth cap or not fast Internet, that could be a problem), and also you'll be an unstable environment (beta OS), which could have critical bug which could results in permanent data loss (and this is not one of those rare thing. It happened on Windows 10 beta, Windows 7 beta, and I THINK Vista beta as well, but don't quote me that.. its been too long), or unexpected system re-install."

which is not correct, its OPT IN  not forced   so the "best answer" is not correct

EDIT:  please quote me the post that stated it was opt in before i posted it, ive been reading this thread since it came to be and i dont recall seeing it

as i quoted in my prev post which is the "best Answer" chosen, it states  "Yes, but it must be noted that you are forced to have a joined Microsoft account, forced to the Insider program (meaning be ready to upgrade your Windows every month minimum, so if you have a bandwidth cap or not fast Internet, that could be a problem), and also you'll be an unstable environment (beta OS), which could have critical bug which could results in permanent data loss (and this is not one of those rare thing. It happened on Windows 10 beta, Windows 7 beta, and I THINK Vista beta as well, but don't quote me that.. its been too long), or unexpected system re-install."

which is not correct, its OPT IN  not forced   so the "best answer" is not correct

EDIT:  please quote me the post that stated it was opt in before i posted it, ive been reading this thread since it came to be and i dont recall seeing it

OK, I didn't say that verbatim but here;

If you chose to stay in the preview you will receive additional early releases before official updates are sent out. If you opt out of the preview stuff after receiving the download it does not change anything, your version will still be good and you will just receive the official updates like everyone else. 

I guess I could have added the part about not having to be forced in but it being a opt in.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Sweet! I downloaded it a while ago and installed in VM on Ubuntu. I certainly hope VM counts. haha

I'll wait for it to become more stable before actually downloading though. I know it will be riddled with bugs.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Sweet! I downloaded it a while ago and installed in VM on Ubuntu. I certainly hope VM counts. haha

I'll wait for it to become more stable before actually downloading though. I know it will be riddled with bugs.

as long as your connected the interwebs with a registered MSA you should be fine

It is quite stable with this build. It just doesn't have all the perks there like dx12 that'll be released on July 29th.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

No. Because Microsoft said clearner here:

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

That you need a Genuine version of Windows 7 or 8.1 to get Windows 10 for free.

If you have Windows Insider preview NOW, you can opt out on the official release. But that is an offer for current Windows Insider. If you build a computer July 30th or later, you can't get Windows 10 official release for free. You will be an Insider, and get beta builds.

For those who are to (lazy)  

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

Specific paragraph to read.

"This change is for the Windows Insider Program ONLY, and is specific to how we’re delivering the Insider Preview builds. Once available on July 29th, you do not need an MSA to upgrade Windows 10 on your Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 PCs if they are not receiving Insider Preview builds. You will not be required to use an MSA on new PCs that come with Windows 10 preinstalled or clean installed from media. Some features in Windows 10 do require an MSA to use, such as downloading apps in the Windows Store."

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Is W10 pretty stable in it's current preview state? Any issues with Internet dropping out frequently or other annoying issues? Thinking of giving it a try.

Thanks in advance.

Is W10 pretty stable in it's current preview state? Any issues with Internet dropping out frequently or other annoying issues? Thinking of giving it a try.

Thanks in advance.

The current build is stable.

It is quite stable with this build. It just doesn't have all the perks there like dx12 that'll be released on July 29th.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Thanks in advance.

Very stable. Issues I have:

-> Nvidia GPU drivers causes problem when you wake up the system where the system is non-recoverable, and require reset. No problem on my Surface Pro 2 which uses Intel integrated graphics. Waiting for Nvidia newer drivers. (Using GeForce 680)

-> If you are on a Surface 3 (non-Pro version) or basically any recent Atom based tablet, then Windows 10 is a no go. Intel has yet to release much needed drivers which causes serious issues. Microsoft is working with Intel to get that fixed.

-> When you restart or shutdown Windows, you have an error from explorer that pop-up, you need to click on "OK" to resume the shutdown/restart process. Minor annoyance.

-> Start Menu/Cortana might not show up at times (crashes, but restarts itself in a sec). Not normal occurrence.

And that is about it in terms of user experience bugs. Microsoft is working on polishing the user interface, and obviously the mentioned bugs. Beside that, like I said, stable, won't crash (solid).

I used one of the latest previews, it was pretty stable but I prefer stable over "almost stable". At least when it comes to Microsoft. :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Ok. I don't know what to do here, you guys keep making threads everywhere on this forum.

It is getting annoying.

As I said in another thread (which I think this is the or 4th time I am copying and pasting this):

Yes, but it must be noted that you are forced to have a joined Microsoft account, forced to the Insider program (meaning be ready to upgrade your Windows every month minimum, so if you have a bandwidth cap or not fast Internet, that could be a problem), and also you'll be an unstable environment (beta OS), which could have critical bug which could results in permanent data loss (and this is not one of those rare thing. It happened on Windows 10 beta, Windows 7 beta, and I THINK Vista beta as well, but don't quote me that.. its been too long), or unexpected system re-install.

So don't jump of joy.

Great news for me.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

It happened on Windows 10 beta, Windows 7 beta, and I THINK Vista beta as well, but don't quote me that.. its been too long), or unexpected system re-install.

So don't jump of joy.

Just fyi this is the first time they're doing it. I was testing windows 7 and they did not let testers upgrade to retail/release version.

Pretty sure windows 8 wasn't the case too.

Just fyi this is the first time they're doing it. I was testing windows 7 and they did not let testers upgrade to retail/release version.

Pretty sure windows 8 wasn't the case too.

Yes. You are correct. It is due to the improved OS upgrade system.

Whats the difference between an upgrade version and a full version?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

I'm still not getting the reservation icon, and everyone in the house has theirs :/

the way i see it if you dont have win 7/8/8.1 then dl the preview install it in dual boot and see what happens.....after all it wont cost you anything

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

once you upgrade from 7 to 10  you can then use the key for fresh installs

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9334/microsoft-confirms-you-can-clean-install-windows-10-after-upgrading

Like the article says, we don't know if "clean install" in this case means using the Windows recovery tool, or install it on a brand new drive.

I am planning to upgrade my SSD when Windows 10 comes out, so I'm trying to figure out how that is going to work since I won't have any OS at all on it, but I want to use the free version I will get from my current OS. They have said "same device", but does my plan count as multiple devices since I am changing SSD?

Will I be able to just get an ISO, pop it in my computer and then boot from that and do a clean install? If that's the case, how will I get my new license key that will work on Windows 10?

And just look at all the confusion in this thread. Will Insider users get a normal copy or will get get the "beta OS" version? It seems like Microsoft have said both things in different blog posts.

Upcoming changes to Windows 10 Insider Preview builds

June 19, 2015June 20, 2015by Gabe Aul // PC, Phone, Tablet // 0 Comments

Hi everyone, we’re hard at work on the next builds that we’ll send out to you for PC and Mobile. I don’t have an update on timing for that quite yet, but I do have some important changes to tell you about that are coming with the next PC build as we get ready for July 29th.

Microsoft Account notifications

If you don’t have your Microsoft Account (MSA) connected to your PC, starting in the next build you’ll start seeing notifications asking you to do so. You’ll need to connect the MSA that you registered for the Windows Insider Program with (and accepted the “Microsoft Windows Insider Program Agreement”) in order to continue receiving new Windows 10 Insider Preview builds (both Fast and Slow rings) from Windows Update. If you already have your MSA connected to your account on your PC, then you’re all set. We’re introducing new infrastructure in Windows Update to help us deliver new builds more effectively to Windows Insiders, and ensure that we’re flighting builds to people who have registered and opted in to the program. Connecting your MSA also allows seamless access to Windows Insider-only functionality in the Windows Feedback app and Insider Hub too.

This change is for the Windows Insider Program ONLY, and is specific to how we’re delivering the Insider Preview builds. Once available on July 29th, you do not need an MSA to upgrade Windows 10 on your Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 PCs if they are not receiving Insider Preview builds. You will not be required to use an MSA on new PCs that come with Windows 10 preinstalled or clean installed from media. Some features in Windows 10 do require an MSA to use, such as downloading apps in the Windows Store.

Getting the final release on July 29th

Windows Insiders running the Windows 10 Insider Preview (Home and Pro editions) with their registered MSA connected to their PC will receive the final release build of Windows 10 starting on July 29th. This will come as just another flight. I’ve gotten a lot of questions from Windows Insiders about how this will work if they clean installed from ISO. As long as you are running an Insider Preview build and connected with the MSA you used to register, you will receive the Windows 10 final release build. Once you have successfully installed this build, you will also be able to clean install on that PC from final media if you want to start over fresh. It’s important to note that only people running Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 can upgrade to Windows 10 as part of the free upgrade offer.*

If you are running the Enterprise edition of the Windows 10 Insider Preview, to upgrade to the final release of Windows 10 Enterprise you will need to download and activate it from Volume Licensing Service Center. As a reminder, the Enterprise edition of the Windows 10 Insider Preview is not eligible for the free upgrade offer and can be upgraded to the final release of Windows 10 through an active Software Assurance agreement.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER