Microsoft will give you Windows 10 for free if you test it

SansVarnic
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

Ok update. Microsoft has clarified further. And it is like I was saying:

-> If you have Windows 10 Insider Preview, and you did a clean install of it. Your license remain genuine as long as you REMAIN in the beta program. If you leave, you need to buy Windows 10.

-> If you have Windows 10 Insider Preview, and you upgraded Windows 7 or 8 to it, then you can leave any time the Windows insider program, and revert back to the officially released Windows 10 build. Your license remains valid.

-> If you have Windows XP or Vista (or older and somehow try and get Windows 10 for free), or a pirated version of Windows and you want to get legit by not paying. You can't. The best you can do is the first point above, where you can get Windows 10 for free, but you become a beta tester. As a beta test, or Windows Insider, they are increase telemetry data collecting from you, you use an unstable build of Windows, you are the tester of Windows latest Windows updates, including security updates, which may results in data loss, or program compatibility issues, and be forced to upgrade to the latest build as they come, but you are exchanging all that, to have for free Windows 10.

-> Microsoft says, if you want to have Windows 10 for free, and you are currently running Windows 10 Insider Preview, and you want to get out, and remain to the last official release version, and you did a clean install of Windows 10 Preview: You have no choice to format, install back Windows 7 or 8, and upgrade to Windows 10. Do it before the free upgrade offer ends to secure your Windows 10 license.

Source: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

So if i install W10 TP, will i get a free ADDITIONAL key? or will it just automatically upgrade for me?

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

You will receive the final version in an iso download file to do a clean install. It will not be the upgrade. You will not receive an extra key/msa. The Win10PT will utilize the key/msa you used to set up your tp account.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

You will receive the final version in an iso download file to do a clean install. It will not be the upgrade. You will not receive an extra key/msa. The Win10PT will utilize the key/msa you used to set up your tp account.

So this just means if you're using the preview you'll upgrade directly, instead of having to backtrack?

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

So this just means if you're using the preview you'll upgrade directly, instead of having to backtrack?

Backtrack? How do you mean?

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Backtrack? How do you mean?

The preview originally expired before Windows 10 came out. You would have to reinstall a version of windows, then upgrade when it came out

The preview originally expired before Windows 10 came out. You would have to reinstall a version of windows, then upgrade when it came out

No you would not have to back track to receive the full version as a download iso file.

To get the upgrade version, yes you would.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

No you would not have to back track to receive the full version as a download iso file.

To get the upgrade version, yes you would.

You're not hearing what i'm saying.

When the W10 TP was originally scheduled to end, the OS still would not have been out. You would have to go back to windows 8.1 for a short time, and then upgrade again.

I just need a license which won't affect be affected by hardware changes. If upgrade from preview or older Windows won't allow it, what's with retail?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

You're not hearing what i'm saying.

Ok I see what you mean but I not sure how to answer all I know is what's in post I put from MS before at the top of the page.

When the W10 TP was originally scheduled to end, the OS still would not have been out. You would have to go back to windows 8.1 for a short time, and then upgrade again.

I just need a license which won't affect be affected by hardware changes. If upgrade from preview or older Windows won't allow it, what's with retail?

I don't know how to answer this question either. Just read the original post link and the one at the top of the page.

Seriously I don't work for MS so I only know the info that is put out in the link posted on the previous page.

Sorry I can't answer better. I can only interpret so much.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Retail license you can do what you want.

Windows insider program has to continue. That is the only reason this is hapenning. The reason is this is the last version of windows. They provides compulsory updates. After a while it will be like a whole new windows..There are bound to have big errors.. They need to field test it. THis is where continous Insider program comes in.. They will get free testers always

Windows insider program has to continue. That is the only reason this is hapenning. The reason is this is the last version of windows. They provides compulsory updates. After a while it will be like a whole new windows..There are bound to have big errors.. They need to field test it. THis is where continous Insider program comes in.. They will get free testers always

Of course. This will be a more fluid way of improving an OS with out having to upgrade every 3-7 years. Instead you just get updates that have been field tested for stability first, less errors that google can scream and whine about constantly and everybody stays happy. No more reversing an update that was bad like few that happened last year wink wink.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

@SansVarnic Please do link the following for clarification :

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

Once you have successfully installed this build, you will also be able to clean install on that PC from final media if you want to start over fresh. It’s important to note that only people running Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 can upgrade to Windows 10 as part of the free upgrade offer.

the Windows Insider Program will continue even after we release Windows 10 on July 29th. Windows Insiders will continue to receive future flights as we begin to work on the next release immediately after Windows 10 ships. You’ll get to see the latest Windows fixes, features, and updates and give us feedback. So stay with us! Of course, we’ll provide you an option to leave the program and stay on the final build if you choose: but we hope that we’ll continue to provide you great reasons to remain a Windows Insider.

After hearing about this I downloaded and installed it as my main OS. I had was an insider and was trying it out inside a VM, but it actually runs really well and very stable. Windows 8 drivers work too if anyone is concerned about that. Windows 10 is definitely a great upgrade coming from windows 7. i do have to take a whole day to install my 600 gb of games though.

CPU: Intel 5930K - GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti SSCMotherboard: Asus X-99 PRO/USB 3.1 - RAM: 32GB HyperX Savage @ 2800mhz CL14  Case: Phtanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass - Cooling: Corsair H100i V2 / Fractal Design Venturi Fans Storage: PNY XLR8 120 GB SSD (OS) + Seagate 2TB HDD (Games)

After hearing about this I downloaded and installed it as my main OS. I had was an insider and was trying it out inside a VM, but it actually runs really well and very stable. Windows 8 drivers work too if anyone is concerned about that. Windows 10 is definitely a great upgrade coming from windows 7. i do have to take a whole day to install my 600 gb of games though.

1st world problems

And...Microsoft pulls the plug on that idea.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/06/microsoft-stealthily-backs-away-from-free-windows-10-promise/

While "insider" members will be able to use the beta builds pushed to testers, it isn't a full version of Windows 10, it isn't even an OEM version of Windows 10. It should still work as Windows 10, but it isn't an "official" way to get a licensed copy of the OS.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/06/microsoft-stealthily-backs-away-from-free-windows-10-promise/

While "insider" members will be able to use the beta builds pushed to testers, it isn't a full version of Windows 10, it isn't even an OEM version of Windows 10. It should still work as Windows 10, but it isn't an "official" way to get a licensed copy of the OS.

Why can't these people make up their fucking minds?

The

You mean they cleared up what the media is assuming.

Why can't these people make up their fucking minds?

Because people keep assuming things, and take key sentences out of context, or out of context from Twitter, where you can't write a paragraph detailing everything. Yes, they are many unanswered questions... those will come in time. Don't assume in the mean time.

So all they are doing is clearing things up. I recommend to read only what Microsoft says, and carefully read the word chosen, and not read the press who rush read everything, to try and release their article first.

Because people keep assuming things, and take key sentences out of context, or out of context from Twitter, where you can't write a paragraph detailing everything.

Whatever the case, MS needs to find a new team of writers/PR for their articles and announcements. Their communication was terrible during Xbox One DRM fiasco, it was terrible when they first announced the Win10 free upgrade offer and it's terrible now.

Whatever the case, MS needs to find a new team of writers/PR for their articles and announcements. Their communication was terrible during Xbox One DRM fiasco, it was terrible when they first announced the Win10 free upgrade offer and it's terrible now.

Because the problem is that, it is Microsoft engineers that talk, not PR. For PR, you need to wait for the official release.

It is nice to have engineers be directly involved with the community. I mean MS is the only large company that does this for select people. You never have Intel engineers on twitter, or Nvidia or AMD. Everyone keep their silence and let PR be the filter, and direct communication with engineers for voicing our self is not possible.

But as we can see, it creates issues. Gabe from twitter, doesn't sp2nd a week, thinking of all the solutions/configurations to be sure everything is clearly laid out. He works on Win10, the blog and twitter is aside, and probably done quickly.

Because the problem is that, it is Microsoft engineers that talk, not PR. For PR, you need to wait for the official release.

It is nice to have engineers be directly involved with the community. I mean MS is the only large company that does this for select people. You never have Intel engineers on twitter, or Nvidia or AMD. Everyone keep their silence and let PR be the filter, and direct communication with engineers for voicing our self is not possible.

But as we can see, it creates issues. Gabe from twitter, doesn't sp2nd a week, thinking of all the solutions/configurations to be sure everything is clearly laid out. He works on Win10, the blog and twitter is aside, and probably done quickly.

I don't think it's an "it's engineers that talk so therefore it causes confusion" issue. Microsoft have been very vague about lots of stuff even in their carefully crafted PR things. Even when hundreds of people are asking them the same questions they won't answer them straight (like we still don't know how the entire update process will work, if you get a valid Windows 10 key that you can reuse or whatever".

I don't think it's an "it's engineers that talk so therefore it causes confusion" issue. Microsoft have been very vague about lots of stuff even in their carefully crafted PR things. Even when hundreds of people are asking them the same questions they won't answer them straight (like we still don't know how the entire update process will work, if you get a valid Windows 10 key that you can reuse or whatever".

Probably due to the fact that they haven't completely finalized some things. It can also be because they want to test the waters so to speak. For example, when they talked about "Windows as a service" it could have been to gauge the public's opinion on a subscription model for a OS. I'm just speculating though.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I'll Leave this here: http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-clears-confusion-reaffirms-free-windows-10-insiders

Microsoft clears up confusion, reaffirms free Windows 10 for Insiders

Microsoft has reaffirmed that Windows Insiders who clean installed the Windows 10 Preview can upgrade and activate the Windows 10 RTM for free, regardless of whether they have a Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license. This announcement was made on Friday, and on Saturday was silently changed to remove any mention of being activated unless you upgraded from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. This caused confusion, but Gabe Aul has again reaffirmed that Insiders who clean installed the Windows 10 Preview will receive Windows 10 for free, and activated.

Now you may be wondering why Microsoft went ahead and confused the situation by changing the way the announcement was worded in the first place. Well, in short, they did it to cover their backside. Soon after the original announcement, a number of media outlets began posting stories such as "How to get Windows 10 for free". This is not what Microsoft wants, and continues to advertise Windows 10 as being free for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users only.

So in essence, Microsoft is turning a blind eye to Insiders looking for an activated, free copy of the Windows 10 RTM, however their public message will continue to be 'You need a valid Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 license to upgrade.' This is great news for those who installed the preview over their old Windows installs, so you will not need to downgrade before upgrading to Windows 10. Hooray!

Now, Of Course, this means you will be running a pre-release OS with monthly updates and numerous bugs, but it's good that it is confirmed. 

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Clean install? What if one simply installs over a non-activated copy of Windows 8.1? Will that work, or must it be installed onto a blank drive containing NO OS? Clean install to me means installing onto a blank hard drive (containing no OS). Hmmmmmmm. Just a thought.