disadvantages of running Vista on a gaming rig?

threee6

i am building a gaming PC a friend and i have just been given a Vista product key, just wondering if there are any noticeable disadvantages to running vista on a gaming PC. System specs are-

Phenom ii x4 940

4GB XMS3 

ATI HD 6850

Thanks in advance. threee6.

the fact that you are running vista. 

but seriously, get win7 if you can, even on the smallest possibility.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

download win8 for free, i did it too

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

the fact that you are running vista. 

but seriously, get win7 if you can, even on the smallest possibility.

yeh i would but the total budget was £320 and for the specs i managed to get i think i did pretty damn well lol

also i know vista was rubbish at launch but i have used it with the service packs and all updates and it runs really well provided you have the hoarse power to throw at it.

vista is horrible its buggy and a mess just get 7 or if you don't mind metro get 8 windows 7 is really cheap now its only about £50-70 for home premium in most places 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004Q0PT3I/ref=s9_simh_gw_p65_d1_i3?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0MF36T6JCGYGMYEF0E6N&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=358549767&pf_rd_i=468294

I guess it's just still buggy and crashy. Try opt for an oem of W7 if can!

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

is there any issues when it comes to gaming though?

Vista can work, it just is a lot more bloated and laggier than 7.

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

Vista is slow and... Well... I stuck with XP when vista came out so just get Windows 7 or 8

Vista with the latest Service Pack is actually a decent OS.  I've never gamed on it, though.

But I assume it'd be just fine.  You can get DX11, and Vista, 7, and 8 are all largely the same under the hood anyway.  You'd probably have to go as far back as XP to see major compatibility issues.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

I still dual boot to Vista, it runs perfectly fine. When I bench it again Windows 8 I get about a 3-7fps decrease in Vista, not much. I still love Vista, its only buggy to people who aren't tech savvy <3. 

Vista is plain slow, might as well install Windows XP because it sure is better than Vista.

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

Vista is plain slow, might as well install Windows XP because it sure is better than Vista.

Wrong-o.

Unless you think Windows 7 is slow.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/articles.php?articleid=137&pageid=8

They are pretty much exactly the same in terms of gaming performance. Same with Windows 8. People really need to learn that in terms of the shell of the operating system there isn't much of a difference between Vista-7-and 8. They are pretty much "service packs" of each other, honestly. 

Wrong-o.

Unless you think Windows 7 is slow.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/articles.php?articleid=137&pageid=8

They are pretty much exactly the same in terms of gaming performance. Same with Windows 8. People really need to learn that in terms of the shell of the operating system there isn't much of a difference between Vista-7-and 8. They are pretty much "service packs" of each other, honestly. 

See this is what i was thinking, i have never used it for gaming but i have used Vista on a powerful system and with the service packs and updates it runs sweet. It seems that if you throw enough power at it it runs great. Although when the Microsoft say the minimum system requirements are 512mb RAM there are clearly chatting out of there arse! lol

See this is what i was thinking, i have never used it for gaming but i have used Vista on a powerful system and with the service packs and updates it runs sweet. It seems that if you throw enough power at it it runs great. Although when the Microsoft say the minimum system requirements are 512mb RAM there are clearly chatting out of there arse! lol

Haha probably I've been using at least 4GB of RAM since XP so I would have no idea. XD

If you install Vista, you can get the Windows 8 upgrade. That way you save money compared to the OEM version.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 (2x SP120 Quiet Edition)  Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz  PSU: Corsair AX850  GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB