June 19, 2015 - The WAN Show Document

Does anyone have a link to the article that linu mention about the tesselation performance with the driver tweak ? 
I think it was on hardocp but I can't find it

Rig: i7 4770k, R9 290 tri-x, 16gb Corsair Vengeance, Asus Z97 PRO, Corsair RM750, Carbide 300r, Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo, 120Gb samsung 840 evo, 2tb WD green

I'm guessing the Fury X only comes with 4GB of memory because 6 or 8GB would have been too expensive, and wouldn't have increased the performance by an amount that justifies the cost increase. It's _probably_ enough, although all of Nvidia's offerings at this price point and above have a lot more than 4GB. I'm guessing AMD will release an 8GB version when the price of HBM permits it, and games start demanding it.

I heard that there is only going to be 4GB of HBM because of some architecture problems that only allowed them to have 4GB vram. But I'm not sure, I think they fixed it by tweaking the architecture, or it was just a rumor. Although they did state that 8GB is coming down the road.

This is a signature.

The most important question is:  Do Linus & Crew have a FURY X in their hands right now?  Well, do they? ...

I really liked hearing the video game talk at the beginning started by Luke and then hearing Linus chime in.  In regards to gaming I hope there will be more talk about actual games on The WAN Show in the future and hopefully one day we will have official gaming servers to play on.

Good showing from AMD, but I do have to wonder why everyone seems to be so surprised about seeing HBM on a graphics card. Thing is, the only cards that have it are the Fury cards, and if AMD hadn't done that this generation they'd be completely screwed because Nvidia announced stacked DRAM waaaaaay back in March of 2014 for their upcoming Pascal architecture. AMD literally had no choice but to get there first considering the position they're in.

http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/03/25/gpu-roadmap-pascal/

That combined with Unified Memory and a possible replacement for PCI-e means that next year the landscape is going to get pretty shaken up. Here's hoping AMD can keep this current trend going to stay competitive.

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

First show I've watched, been lurking for a while, was very good and was nice to see a wide range of topics covered with pretty good biases. Looking forward to the next one! 

why isn't Linus at the office?

edit: nvm

i would agree with him that FFVII is not the best. It is very good, but not the best.  Personally I liked FFIV and FFVI better.

Bell and Telus have implemented something called MOCN (Multiple Operator Core Network).  Essentially their towers are shared between the two mobile networks.  Bell has more towersin Ontario and going East while Telus has Alberta and BC.  That map pretty much shows who owns the towers, and not which mobile networks are operating off of it.

This means that if you don't get signal on Telus (or Bell) the other shouldn't be any better.

They both work with Sasktel in Saskatchewan to provide coverage there, but I have no idea if they show up as Bell and Telus when you are there, or if it is just roaming on Sasktel.