AMD's 3xx series tessellation "not" improved - performance boost comes from the drivers

zMeul

source: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/AMD-Radeon-Grafikkarte-255597/Specials/Radeon-R9-390X-Test-1162303/#a5

It has already indicated that AMD has improved the Catalyst 15:15 Beta tessellation performance. Now we have the results in black and white. Using our tessellation tests from the DirectX SDK (extended to Tessellationsfaktoren to 64) we have the performance of R9 390X, R9 380 R9 290X and the R9 285 again looked at more closely. For the 200 models we used a modified 15:15 driver (keyword Inf- "Hack") and again benched for comparison with the 15.5 beta. The tests with the 300 Radeons that the improvements are pure driver thing here.

post-96912-0-79900000-1434734282_thumb.p

---

there you have it

this should put to rest the rumors that 3xx might have some "improvements" compared to 2xx series, especially comparing 390(X) to 290(X)

the ASIC is the same!

the source of this assumption was a test that HardOCP did with HairWorks ON @1440p:

1434612549l1GBQzJE5q_3_4_l.gif

Bam, once again zMeul come crushing on the hopes of dreams of fans across the globe 

lol what the fuck is up with that image?  :lol: 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Didn't we already know that the chip is the same?

yes, but a lot of people saw the TW3 performance gain with HairWorks on and started assuming "things"

fixed the image

So basically AMD is selling a driver update for $300? lol

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If it's just a simple driver update, we should see this across all cards soon. No reason for AMD not to release such an update.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

yes,m but a lot of people saw the TW3 performance gain with HairWorks on and started assuming "things"

Well it's their fault for assuming things.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

where can I get this hacked driver for my 290x?

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

I'm planning on building my first desktop, hopefully these GPU's live up to our expectations but I doubt it. Nvidia will probably come out with a new card and totally crush them  ^_^.

Bam, once again zMeul come crushing on the hopes of dreams of fans across the globe

much obliged  ^_^

I had hope for AMD.

I still suported them.

Then they go and release the 300 series as the same cards as the 200 series with minimal change

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

this reminds me of 2008 - 2010

and here i though specif driver optimizations were a thing of the past

shame on you AMD !!!

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

much obliged  ^_^

Ahhh ignorance is a bliss  ;)

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

where can I get this hacked driver for my 290x?

Your main source of AMD drivers from now on.  :D

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Well , they could have compared it to something better than the worst performing 290x ...

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

So now everyone with a 290X gets a massive potential boost in performance... that sounds like a good thing for 290X users... wait I have a R9 280... hmmm.

If it's just a simple driver update, we should see this across all cards soon. No reason for AMD not to release such an update.

Assuming AMD is "good guy greg", which they're not. They're a business.

I'm still trying to understand why are people pissed off over a card they won't buy anyway...

EDIT: and for the love of everything will you stop fighting in this forum over this, sheessh

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

I'm planning on building my first desktop, hopefully these GPU's live up to our expectations but I doubt it. Nvidia will probably come out with a new card and totally crush them  ^_^.

They don't have anything except drivers to fight AMD fury card. They can't bring anything out until they can completely get ahold of 20 or 16nm

I had hope for AMD.

I still suported them.

Then they go and release the 300 series as the same cards as the 200 series with minimal change

Whats to change? They're still beating NVidia, 380 is beating the 960, 370 is beating a 750ti. 360 is beating a 750.

The only "new" card on that line up from AMD is tonga because it was also used for their Flagship Mobile GPU. Nvidia remade their mobile line of gpu's with Gm204 and Gm206. AMD doesn't need to do any of that right now. They don't need to release a new card for the sake of releasing a new card. GCN hasn't had much improvements since 7970. Hawaii improved a few things but as you can see Tonga didn't even improve much over even the 7970.

What the hell are you expecting with a new GPU ? It'll perform as well as overclocking the old card.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit