Best Buy Exchange- Exchange GTX 970 for 980 (Pay Difference)

Coolstrybro

Could I have thoughts on weather or not it would be worthwhile to exchange my GTX 970 for a GTX 980 today. I am still in the 15 day return period so I could get the 980 instead =)

Could I have thoughts on weather or not it would be worthwhile to exchange my GTX 970 for a GTX 980 today. I am still in the 15 day return period so I could get the 980 instead =)

Stick with your 970, you have an AMD A10-7850K

Spend that money on a CPU upgrade instead

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

it is not worth it, but a 980Ti would be more reasonable, but like @Minibois stated, you have the A10-7850K - that is a big no-no

Even if you had an Intel CPU, the GTX 970 is a much better value at $330.... especially at 1080p.

please do this

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

yea, the difference would be something near $200 which could get you an i3 and a motherboard :)

although, if you have some extra cash I would go for a locked i5 tbh

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Right now if your talking about Value the 980 was just kicked off.

Only cards i would recommend are the 970 and 980ti.

As 1st post said you have that A10, spend that cash on something a little more better :)

970 is more than enough for 1080p anyways :D

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

yea, the difference would be something near $200 which could get you an i3 and a motherboard :)

although, if you have some extra cash I would go for a locked i5 tbh

If anything at 1080 I would say drop to a 960 and then spend on a good motherboard and cpu..

Heck if you bought some budget parts you could sell the A10 as a system, All you would need is a budget case / psu and a storage drive of some kind and you could sell it as a full system for someone (throw in a cheap monitor, mouse and keyboard for a totally full build) you may even get an upgrade for nearly nothing. grab a cheap license off Reddit for windows too.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Well I am not doing any of that.... BUT I will ask if I where to get the GTX 980 (Be it a waste or not counting that it is my build) Would it be safe for me to place the card back in the box counting I no longer have the static bag that it came in because I sold my GTX 770 to a buddy to upgrade in the first place.

Whoops just heard it twice both from a user and Linus himself 980 left in the dust 980TI or 970 is the best bang for the buck.

Well I am not doing any of that.... BUT I will ask if I where to get the GTX 980 (Be it a waste or not counting that it is my build) Would it be safe for me to place the card back in the box counting I no longer have the static bag that it came in because I sold my GTX 770 to a buddy to upgrade in the first place.

So in other words, you ask for advice.. Then totally disregard it for no reason until you watch a vid of some other guy (granted it's Linus but he isn't a god of tech or anything) who got a start in the tech industry by doing exactly what we are (who, BTW at least some of us are already heavily involved in the tech industry)

And have the cheek to expect us to give you further advice..

Cool story bro.. go watch a vid.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

I have watched the 7870K utilize the full power of the 970 and the game play run smoothly with no real reason to upgrade both my motherboard and CPU to an Intel equivalent or a 3 Year old FX Chip (MSI Afterburner). I am not interested in tossing money into the older socket types when in a year the newer socket types will be deployed for example AMD's future CPU's and Intel's successors. In the mean time I am focused on the Video card itself as I can bring that into my new system in the future and this is my last chance to take advantage of the return policy and get something slightly better. The question was if I should go from a GTX 970 to a GTX 980 most of you said no but the reasoning was purely behind my CPU which I highly doubt you have tried in a system because APUs traditionally are not used like this. This is nothing against anyone but I am just not interested throwing money into older socket types when newer ones are incoming. I am really sorry if I sound like I am disregarding your advice I really appreciate it but I don't want to invest in a new board and CPU right now, most likely I will be overhauling in the coming months.

Only reason I got the AMD A-10 7870K was because it was a literally free upgrade exchanged 7850K for it.

I have watched the 7870K utilize the full power of the 970 and the game play run smoothly with no real reason to upgrade both my motherboard and CPU to an Intel equivalent or a 3 Year old FX Chip (MSI Afterburner). I am not interested in tossing money into the older socket types when in a year the newer socket types will be deployed for example AMD's future CPU's and Intel's successors. In the mean time I am focused on the Video card itself as I can bring that into my new system in the future and this is my last chance to take advantage of the return policy and get something slightly better. The question was if I should go from a GTX 970 to a GTX 980 most of you said no but the reasoning was purely behind my CPU which I highly doubt you have tried in a system because APUs traditionally are not used like this. This is nothing against anyone but I am just not interested throwing money into older socket types when newer ones are incoming. I am really sorry if I sound like I am disregarding your advice I really appreciate it but I don't want to invest in a new board and CPU right now, most likely I will be overhauling in the coming months.

Only reason I got the AMD A-10 7870K was because it was a literally free upgrade exchanged 7850K for it

I would say stick with the 970 or get a 980TI. Maybe even upgrade to an FX CPU?

I am going to go ahead and post my Heaven Scores.... I will be brave enough to do so and hopefully I will be corrected nicely and not completely scorned.... 

http://i.imgur.com/PfL6rnt.png

Best buy only has the 980..... SO..... May I ask for final thoughts?

Seems your hellbent on buying a 980, so why ask for advice? Everyone has said the 970 makes more sense and the 980 would be a waste of money for you. Not JUST because of your CPU either.

If your gaming at 1080p that's yet another reason the 970 makes more sense, nevermind your CPU bottlenecking a 980(and possibly even 970).

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

I am going to go ahead and post my Heaven Scores.... I will be brave enough to do so and hopefully I will be corrected nicely and not completely scorned.... 

http://i.imgur.com/PfL6rnt.png

Best buy only has the 980..... SO..... May I ask for final thoughts?

Who cares about Benchmarks, post your in game GPU usage I doubt it's 100% solid on any title besides things that are completely GPU reliant.