I hope the R9 390 is all its cracked up to be

Rodneyg87

Well guys I just pulled the trigger on all the parts for my new pc after seeing an email from Newegg about the new Sapphire Nitro R9 390 GPU for $329 so I went buck wild and ordered everything it will be here on Saturday. I know the card has just released but has anyone seen any benchmarking for the 390 at all???

The R9 390 is just an R9 290 with 8GB of RAM, so it'll perform  pretty much the same.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

*slow clap*

I hope for your sake it performs better than a 290 given how much more expensive it is. But it won't be.

True but either way the "new" sapphire design/color scheme goes really well with my white and black build theme so its worth the extra $50 or so if its literally the same performance as the 290

Are you knew to this 300 series topic?

pretty much ive been away from LTT for a while well except for coming on here to ask a question about a month ago

Well guys I just pulled the trigger on all the parts for my new pc after seeing an email from Newegg about the new Sapphire Nitro R9 390 GPU for $329 so I went buck wild and ordered everything it will be here on Saturday. I know the card has just released but has anyone seen any benchmarking for the 390 at all???

There aint much difference between the 290 and the 290x currently.

Use the same deductive methods... it will be a FRACTION slower than the 390x, but I'd just go get a 290x now if you can...

The cards run out of 'core grunt' before you even hit 8GB of vram being needed. 4GB is AMPLE, get a 290x

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

The extra Vram will help in 4k and 1440p. But, in 1080p I'd take the r9 290.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

There aint much difference between the 290 and the 290x currently.

Use the same deductive methods... it will be a FRACTION slower than the 390x, but I'd just go get a 290x now if you can...

The cards run out of 'core grunt' before you even hit 8GB of vram being needed. 4GB is AMPLE, get a 290x

well right now the 290x's that I would buy are sold out so all thats left are the ones that would just look ugly as hell in my build and cost over $350 and at $330 I had to cut some things down on my build like a cheaper case I wanted the H440 but had to settle for the S340 and a cheaper ssd just to make the 390 work in my budget.

It's a fine choice.

I would maybe have waited a while for prices to drop about 20$ though

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

skyrim-fr.png

Third from the top xD

But its basically just a 290.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Are you knew to this 300 series topic?

Lol, "knew"

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

It's a fine choice.

I would maybe have waited a while for prices to drop about 20$ though

thats true I probably shouldnt have been so compulsive but either way I was planning to order the parts between today and saturday anyways and by saturday with the new gpu hype being out there it might be sold out. Plus the Sapphire 390 Nitro is the first AMD card I have seen that goes well with a white and black theme

Third from the top xD

But its basically just a 290.

But a few percent better,

Still an ok card, although I don't see the point of 8gb, 6 might have been better

thats true I probably shouldnt have been so compulsive but either way I was planning to order the parts between today and saturday anyways and by saturday with the new gpu hype being out there it might be sold out. Plus the Sapphire 390 Nitro is the first AMD card I have seen that goes well with a white and black theme

It's true it looks nice :D

Opefully it will run perfectly for you

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

It's fine choice man. Don't listen to all the negative nancies. The review's show it being better then a 290. The $30-40 more  is worth the extra memory and higher core clocks.

But a few percent better,

Still an ok card, although I don't see the point of 8gb, 6 might have been better

Well for me 8gb of vram will be awesome since that leaves plenty of headroom for when this build is 100% i plan to have crossfire 390's pushing 3-1920x1080p panels

Well the 390x benchmarks I've seen so far put it above the 290x by a good 5-10% on average, but this may well be driver related/non-reference 390x vs reference 290x. It seems the best option at 4k though.

390 will be fine, but I'll not be rushing to upgrade my 290x crossfire.

It's fine choice man. Don't listen to all the negative nancies. The review's show it being better then a 290. The $30-40 more is worth the extra memory and higher core clocks.

Thats true $30-40 isnt much when you figure that in and the fact that its actually perfect for my build theme

Well the 390x benchmarks I've seen so far put it above the 290x by a good 5-10% on average, but this may well be driver related/non-reference 390x vs reference 290x. It seems the best option at 4k though.

390 will be fine, but I'll not be rushing to upgrade my 290x crossfire.

Hell if you have crossfire 290x great keep them me though the only pc I currently have is a late 2013 macbook pro with a gtx 750m and a i7 so the 390 is a massive upgrade for me

The R9 300 series cards are going to be better than their R9 200 counterparts because they're using faster RAM and more of it as well, not to mention the mature binning process means that the actual GPUs are going to be of higher quality.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.7ghz - RAM: HyperX Savage 16GB DDR3 Memory @2400mhz - GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 3.5GB @1500mhz - Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z97 - Storage: Win10 on 240GB HyperX Predator m.2 SSD, - Ubuntu w/ Gnome 3 on 80GB OCZ Vertex 3 - 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Game Installs - 5TB mass storage - Monitor: 21:9 3440x1440 LG 34UM95 - PSU: Corsair RM 750w - Case: Silverstone FT01 - Cooling: Custom Water Loop

Hell if you have crossfire 290x great keep them me though the only pc I currently have is a late 2013 macbook pro with a gtx 750m and a i7 so the 390 is a massive upgrade for me 

I went from a laptop with a GTX 570m and an i7 to my desktop which at the time was a 4670k + 970.

A VERY big difference, I assure you :) 

I went from a laptop with a GTX 570m and an i7 to my desktop which at the time was a 4670k + 970.

A VERY big difference, I assure you :)

Oh i bet dont get me wrong the mac has been good to me but its not a gaming laptop i play wow mostly at the moment because of internet restrictions which wont be an issue after i move tomorrow but the mac can only pull around 40fps with everything set to low/medium and with having the resolution turned down to 1080p down from 1800p