NCIX benchmarks the 300 series cards

getrekt

We got what the leaks had already proved!

The whole 300 series is a rebrand with specs a bit here and there

There is a 10-15% increase in performance (mostly due to the factory oc on the cards)

Link - MSI Radeon R9 390X, 380, + 370 Twin Frozr Review:

Check out the review and please leave your thoughts down below

10-15% improvements you say? whats normal for cards each generation? I know cpu wise if we got a 10% improvement we would all be floored

10-15% improvements you say? whats normal for cards each generation? I know cpu wise if we got a 10% improvement we would all be floored

no there is no improvement, all of those benchmarks are against reference r9 290x and r9 290 which have lower clocks and downclock because the cooler sucks. performance difference is as much as you can get by just random results everytime you run a benchmark. Same with others too. If LTT does a review with their normal overclock as far as you can results you will see no improvement.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

no there is no improvement, all of those benchmarks are against reference r9 290x and r9 290 which have lower clocks and downclock because the cooler sucks. performance difference is as much as you can get by just random results everytime you run a benchmark.

Also the MSI cards are factory oced, that must have added to the performance gap.

no there is no improvement, all of those benchmarks are against reference r9 290x and r9 290 which have lower clocks and downclock because the cooler sucks. performance difference is as much as you can get by just random results everytime you run a benchmark. Same with others too. If LTT does a review with their normal overclock as far as you can results you will see no improvement.

Here you can see it compared against Sapphire 290X 8GB Tri-X. It actually is 10% better which I still find hard to believe.

EDIT: quotedet the wrong person 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

The 300 series are the 200 series now with..lesser OC headroom and double the Vram on the PCB.

On the MSI Radeon R9 390X Gaming 8G, we have a GPU clock of 1100MHz, while the 8GB of GDDR5 RAM is clocked at 6.1GHz (1525MHz x 4)

If I OC'd my 8GB 290x, to 1100Mhz/1525Mhz, edited the bios so this was STOCK settings from the get-go,.. its the same thing.. (Even though apparently power saving tweaks were done by AMD)

Anyone looking to buy a 300 series should look for 200 series cards running out of stores,..for cheap, if available.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Its because the 3xx cards are OC'd from the get go. If you take a 2xx card and OC it to the same clocks, you'll get the same results. 

Wait for Linus to do a 290X to 390X comparison. Luke likes to OC, chances are the results are going to be the exact same within a few FPS. 

What is hype may never die - Cleganebowl 2016

Here you can see it compared against Sapphire 290X 8GB Tri-X. It actually is 10% better which I still find hard to believe.

@ZetZet

Your opinion ?? and link to your steam profile I lost your link sorry.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

It has 0DB feature? Woah... wouldn't it get toasty? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

@ZetZet

I think they may have just OC'd it even more in factory and so you won't be able to OC it that much yourself as you could have. That's just 1 option. Maybe the memory speed makes that of a difference which.

Also I've wuoted the wrong person, was actually quoting him.  :D

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

@ZetZet

Tri-x is lower clocked. Also look at the power consumption, it probably just boosts higher http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7202/msi-radeon-r9-390x-gaming-8g-video-card-review/index11.html

Also seems to depend on the game http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/msi_r9_390x_gaming_8g_review/11in this review you can see other 290x's beating 390x. Whatever is true it still sucks.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZetZet

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Its because the 3xx cards are OC'd from the get go. If you take a 2xx card and OC it to the same clocks, you'll get the same results. 

Wait for Linus to do a 290X to 390X comparison. Luke likes to OC, chances are the results are going to be the exact same within a few FPS.

Don't think 80MHz clock difference would lead to that gap

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Tri-x is lower clocked. Also look at the power consumption, it probably just boosts higher http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7202/msi-radeon-r9-390x-gaming-8g-video-card-review/index11.html

Boosts higher ? like GPU boost 2.0 on Nvidia side ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Don't think 80MHz clock difference would lead to that gap

Also...not just the core was OC'd,..The 290x does not have 1500Mhz memory clocks, but 1250Mhz memory clocks. 390X has 1500Mhz

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Also...not just the core was OC'd,..The 290x does not have 1500Mhz memory clocks, but 1250Mhz memory clocks. 390X has 1500Mhz

Got it got it.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Boosts higher ? like GPU boost 2.0 on Nvidia side ?

amd gpu's boost too. nothing special. 

Spoiler

amd gpu's boost too. nothing special.

But not like GPU boost 2.0 right ? like if you set it's max clock in a program like MSI afterburner it just wont go higher but with Nvidia boost 2.0 it just boosts it self depending on temps and power consumption ( I think power consumption effects too ).

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

But not like GPU boost 2.0 right ? like if you set it's max clock in a program like MSI afterburner it just wont go higher but with Nvidia boost 2.0 it just boosts it self depending on temps and power consumption ( I think power consumption effects too ).

no idea how it works tbh.

Spoiler

no idea how it works tbh.

Got it, it's just I haven't seen any AMD card go over the max clock you set.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Either I have the worst luck in the world, or memory rarely overclocks well. At least for me and my luck, that memory boost is a differentiator.

Got it, it's just I haven't seen any AMD card go over the max clock you set.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6152/amd-announces-new-radeon-hd-7950-with-boost

Spoiler