ASUS 27" IPS FreeSync 144Hz 4ms new monitor

anthonyc813

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=24-236-466

Is anyone else here at least tempted to try this out? I could not believe when I saw it this morning and 200.00 less then the G Sync counterpart by Acer.

Is anyone ordering or already have this bad boy on the way to them? I would love to hear more info on it. Deep down inside me, I'm Team Red. I trust ASUS more then any other manufacturer since I NEVER had a issue with any part I bought since I got into gaming PCs. The Acer one with the exact same specs jumped to over 1,000.00 in the last few days for some reason. 599.00 for this only the freesync edition and a brand I trust. 

just wondering- would Xfire R9 280X TDFD's be able to drive this monitor and current games like Witcher 3?

I do believe that Freesync isn't supported on the 280.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

I do believe that Freesync isn't supported on the 280.

You are right.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/search/faq/219

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Hmm, it's as if I have seen this monitor before...

yqa9JOT.png

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I don't know how I feel about this.

For about $900 I can get a triple 60hz 1080p 27" monitor setup, which is badass,

yet for this regular price is almost $1000

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Freesync only support GCN 1.1+ (290, 260x, 285, Fury) and such 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I don't know how I feel about this.

For about $900 I can get a triple 60hz 1080p 27" monitor setup, which is badass,

yet for this regular price is almost $1000

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=Homepage_SS-_-P2_24-009-657-_-06172015

yeah I hear ya. for 300 more you can have 3 of these 1080p 144Hz G Sync ones but Im after a 1440p

Thank you

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=Homepage_SS-_-P2_24-009-657-_-06172015

yeah I hear ya. for 300 more you can have 3 of these 1080p 144Hz G Sync ones but Im after a 1440p

Thank you

I suppose.

I would much prefer my 60hz 27" 1080p over those.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Your title needs to be edited. 144 needs to have the "Hz" unit attached to it, not "MHz."

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=24-236-466

Is anyone else here at least tempted to try this out? I could not believe when I saw it this morning and 200.00 less then the G Sync counterpart by Acer.

Is anyone ordering or already have this bad boy on the way to them? I would love to hear more info on it. Deep down inside me, I'm Team Red. I trust ASUS more then any other manufacturer since I NEVER had a issue with any part I bought since I got into gaming PCs. The Acer one with the exact same specs jumped to over 1,000.00 in the last few days for some reason. 599.00 for this only the freesync edition and a brand I trust.

just wondering- would Xfire R9 280X TDFD's be able to drive this monitor and current games like Witcher 3?

Oh I've been beyond tempted lol. As soon as I found out it was officially up for sale (after having the whole mess of recalling for firmware updating). I went searching around for the best price on many sites.

I have one on its way hopefully I get it in the mail by Friday but might be Monday.

Newegg is really competitive with its pricing right now as they are eating part of the exchange rate for Canadians and we are getting it for cheaper then the $599 USD price for Americans.

I'm excited for this as I've wanted a 120/144Hz monitor for sometime but also wanted an IPS panel and a resolution bump to 1440p.

Oh I've been beyond tempted lol. As soon as I found out it was officially up for sale (after having the whole mess of recalling for firmware updating). I went searching around for the best price on many sites.

I have one on its way hopefully I get it in the mail by Friday but might be Monday.

Newegg is really competitive with its pricing right now as they are eating part of the exchange rate for Canadians and we are getting it for cheaper then the $599 USD price for Americans.

I'm excited for this as I've wanted a 120/144Hz monitor for sometime but also wanted an IPS panel and a resolution bump to 1440p.

gratz! Lets us know how you like it!

what AMD card(s) are you gonna run her with?

The ROG swift IPS comes out soon and I was waiting on that. They say the freesync ghosting is fixed in the monitor so is the g sync still worth the extra $200-$300. Side note anyone got a hint at a release date on the gsync swift version?

gratz! Lets us know how you like it!

what AMD card(s) are you gonna run her with?

Sure thing. Can't wait for it to arrive!

Atm I have an older Radeon HD7870 GHz Edition, I've been waiting for AMD to stop delaying their new cards and release the R9 300 series already.

I'm very interested in their Fury X water cooled one, specially about it potentially beating Nvidia's new Titan and being cheaper at the same time.

Edit: I see Newegg on their Canadian site has already changed their price, I don't know if it was a mistake to begin with or not, but it is now listed for $749.99 CAD to better reflect the exchange rate, I got my order in and shipped while it was at $679.99 CAD ($556 USD at current exchange rate) Woot! LOL.

Sure thing. Can't wait for it to arrive!

Atm I have an older Radeon HD7870 GHz Edition, I've been waiting for AMD to stop delaying their new cards and release the R9 300 series already.

I'm very interested in their Fury X water cooled one, specially about it potentially beating Nvidia's new Titan and being cheaper at the same time.

Edit: I see Newegg on their Canadian site has already changed their price, I don't know if it was a mistake to begin with or not, but it is now listed for $749.99 CAD to better reflect the exchange rate, I got my order in and shipped while it was at $679.99 CAD ($556 USD at current exchange rate) Woot! LOL.

lol yeah I guess the 599 price tag was 2 days only upon release.

lol yeah I guess the 599 price tag was 2 days only upon release.

Its still $599 USD on the US site and now they are offering a $20 gift card as a promo if you buy it but only applys to US newegg not Canada.

Its still $599 USD on the US site and now they are offering a $20 gift card as a promo if you buy it but only applys to US newegg not Canada.

man that stinks... no deals for all you Newfies ...

:P

:P

Man I been wondering all week how much I can sell my 970s for and get a good new amd card for this monitor...

I wouldn't stress over it, the 970 is great, I recommended it to my friend who loves Nvidia and wanted they best he could get for the $400ish CAD price point.

ASUS is making a Gsync version of this monitor. I'm guessing it might have a July release date.

And the money you would lose selling 2x of them used to switch almost makes up for the cost of Gsync.

Since you've already invested into 2 of them seems like your better off not selling them, it would be less of a hassle. I'd just wait for the Gsync one and pay they small difference.

Remember too that this ASUS monitors Freesync capabilities stop at 90Hz. Gsync can do to the full 144Hz.

This however is all based on if ASUS sells the Gsync one for the same price + $200 for the module. Maybe they do $250 more not sure.

Maybe wait (as hard as it is to lol) to find out more about it from ASUS.

Are the problems fixed with this monitor? Didn't they recall them last month because the monitor was dropping the 6th frame or something?

Been around since the beginning of LTT & the forums, but mostly just lurk!

This or Acer.

What are the  benefits of g sync / frees sync,

if it's just tearing,I don't really notice much in games

Since i'm going to be running duo 980 ti.

locked @ 144hz  @ 1440.

Are the problems fixed with this monitor? Didn't they recall them last month because the monitor was dropping the 6th frame or something?

Yes they are fixed, ASUS had them recalled and updated the firmware on the monitors. They were originally supposed to go on sale in May but got delay till June 15th because of this.

I got mine in the mail early yesterday morning, and have fiddled around with it a lot, played multiple games and enjoy some movies & TV shows.

So far this monitor has been amazing, the colours are extremely vibrant its what you would expect out of an IPS panel. At first the colours were very strong and I felt like it was some what too strong compared to my old monitor. After tweeking the settings to my liking and getting used to it for a day it no longer feels too colourful. Everything is now great.

Seeing this monitor reminded me of when I first used a AMOLED from Samsung phones.

Details and colours stand out even more in games and makes for a wonderful experience.

I have yet to use the FreeSync capabilities as my older Radeon HD7870 does not support FreeSync in games (only can assist with video play back and power saving features accord to AMD's website)

All the adjustments of the monitor are great as well as it has the smallest bezzels I've ever had on monitor.

I like the anti flicker capability as well as the Blue reduction options being an amazing feature.

Not sure what else to say about it. I hope Linus is getting one of these for review as well.

Edit: Those that might be concerned about its 4MS pixel respones time. I too was worried about concerned about potential ghosting as 4MS can be the borderline vs a nice 1-2MS monitor (I believe 5-8MS is when you would see ghosting minorly happen but stops when speeds get faster then that), however I have yet to see any Ghosting happen at all with the 4MS timing.

Edit 2: Did a Dead pixel test and sadly found Dead and Stuck pixels on the screen, having to RMA to monitor for replacement, hopfully the new one does not have any.

Pretty sure it came out last week. Didn't hear anything yet about issues

• 4 weeks later...

I got my replacement monitor in the mail last week on Monday so I've had it for a week now. The replacement thankfully has no dead or stuck pixels this time around.

There is minor back light bleed in the top 2 corners, but not bad enough that its a problem or that I would want to RMA again. The first one with the dead pixels had bad back light bleed on the right side.

For those worried about the QC of the panels I think its just the first batch ones that had to be sent back and manually opened up to have their firmware's updated. Most likely I'd say those are the ones most at risk of these issues.

So if your on the fence about this waiting a bit might be a good idea to get one that comes from the 2nd and onward batches.

Other then that, the monitor is amazing and I'm loving it.

For me a monitor purchase is not something I do often for a PC, so its one of those things where I like to get a really good one that lasts me for as long as possible.

So my thoughts now are if a monitor finally has all the bells and whistles people are after what then would be a reason to upgrade beyond this? I guess higher resolutions would be it.

I actually feel that coming from 1080p it would be a better idea (also for future-proofing) to skip right to 4K as generally speaking if you go with the TV trends they are what become the more standardize sizing. I.E. for future content purposes. However 4K resolution is very taxing on any video card, and unless you plan on spending the money for 2x 980Ti's or Fury X's its not something I would want, the FPS would just be too low.

Not to mention that Windows (at lease on 8.1 and under, not sure if they have fixed this issue with Win 10 yet) scaling is horrible and if you didn't scale then everything is just too small on your desktop at 4K on a 27" and under monitor.

1440p really feels like that sweet spot to be in just as 1080p did when it started going main stream. Until 4K becomes more the norm and video cards are able to keep up lol.

freesync only works up to 90hz tho... 

and there is no 100hz or 120hz strobing... so the 144hz advertised is just  marketing crap