Changing Computers

CoolBeans

I am getting a new computer and I was wondering if I could take the HDD out of my laptop which I will not need anymore and put it in my new computer, so my question is will the OS work once I copy it over to an SSD?

The OS is Windows 7 64 bit

I was lucky when I did this. Sometime the system with throw a wobbly with the change in hardware. Mine didnt work because it was a change in CPU architecture, chipset and everything all at once

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

It has worked for me. Remember that these 2.5" hard drives are essentially the same as "desktop" 3.5" drives, albeit with generally lower performance and capacities (though this isn't always the case).

Keep in mind that you will need to use a 64-bit OS with compatible hardware in order for it to work, which your new computer most likely will have support for.

Laptop HDDs are 2.5". If you have the mount, you could actually make this work

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

You need to re-install Windows. Windows will not work.

On rare cases it works, as Windows current drivers and configuration just happen to work with the other system (this is pure luck), but normally it should not. And probably doesn't work well.

It's best to re-install Windows.

It must be noted that HDD in laptop are slower than a desktop HDD (unless it's an SSD).

Also, Windows license agreement states that if you have an OEM version of Windows, you CANNOT transfer it to another computer. You need to buy a new license of Windows.

The exception is if you have Windows 8 OEM/System Builders, and you agreed to the following license agreement: http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx, which will give you such right.