Best HDD Defrag software?

SSOB

What is the best HDD Defrag software that is speedy?

Interested in Business and Technology

Defraggler from Piriform is pretty good. Free as well.

THis.

Piriform makes good free software.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

i use auslogics disk defrag, recommended by tech-vets which have been in the computer fixing scene much longer then linus, i trust them more then anyone at the moment. 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

How does the default windows defragged stack up to that?

Here is the thing.

If you use any other defrag software beside Windows, it will remove/break all System Restore points. As only Windows knows the location of the system restore point on the disk. As it looks like data that comes somewhere, defrag software will try and move it and fit it somewhere, so it break System restore points. So the day you your system is screwed and you try to bring it back in time to recover it, it will either not work, or not be listed in the System Restore points to select.

Windows one is actually pretty good. It does a pretty good job.

However, if you want the best. Like in your face performance increase on an HDD, even a fast HDD that you just clean installed Windows and your programs. Look no further to O&O Defrag. It's paying, but there is a 30-day trial. The way O&O Defrag works, is that it creates zones in your HDD, and arranges data not just defragment them, but locate related data together (uses Access time). So that means, that let's say you defrag your Windows partition/disk, it will put all Windows boot process one after another so the head of your HDD doesn't need to jump all over the place all the time.

Doing this deep defrag, if you will, is not something you want to do daily. The process came take up to 8h+ So it's definitely something you want to tell Windows to not go to sleep, and leave it defrag over night, especially if you have a lot of large files and programs. Else then that, about 3-4h.