LG G3 ROM Choice: LG Optimus UI 5.0 or CM12.1 Nightly?

Go to solution Solved by 1Scotty1,

Do you know if it's possible to reflash everything so it can go back to LG Optimus UI or will I bet stuck with CM?

Also, would really like to know this as I'm getting the phone tomorrow (Wednesday).

Sure, you can reflash back to stock or any other ROM :) I flashed maybe 3-4 ROMs before sticking with Google Play Edition ROM for my HTC One M7 :)

So I decided I'm getting the LG G3 (model D852) due to Koodo Mobile's price drop to $360 CAD. However, I heard there are issues with Android 5.0 and I heard that 5.1.1 fixes most of them. My question is, should I stick with LG Optimus UI (based on 5.0 or 5.0.2) or install CM 12.1 Nightly (based on 5.1.1)?

I've never installed a custom ROM before but I can follow step-by-step instructions really well and I've also done other stuff such as modding (Xbox 360, iOS/jailbreaking, and PC modding). Any advice would help as I'm planning on getting it by the end of this week or month.

The CM nightlies are known to be unstable, that is why they are called Nightlies, every night there is an updated version that fixes something in the previous one, so you would have to re-flash it almost daily... I would stick with the stock ROM

On my HTC One M7 I flashed the Google Play Edition ROM, just because I was bored with the stock HTC and Sense was getting on my nerves after almost 2 years :D

The CM nightlies are known to be unstable, that is why they are called Nightlies, every night there is an updated version that fixes something in the previous one, so you would have to re-flash it almost daily... I would stick with the stock ROM

Not really. I usually update CM every few weeks. The last few nightlies I've used on my G3 have been stable enough for typical use.

COMIC SANS

I hate Cyanogenmod, I couldn't tolerate it on either my Nexus 5 or OnePlus One. I'm not the world's biggest fan of LG's UX UI but it's better than Cyanogenmod imo. It's what I've decided to stick with on my G4.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Seems fine to me. I update every two weeks or so.

"Rawr XD"

Not really. I usually update CM every few weeks. The last few nightlies I've used on my G3 have been stable enough for typical use.

Yeah, it is possible, I personally never used CM, just what I heard from friends and read on the web :) it all comes down to personal preference :)

Do you know if it's possible to reflash everything so it can go back to LG Optimus UI or will I bet stuck with CM?

On my HTC One M7 I flashed the Google Play Edition ROM, just because I was bored with the stock HTC and Sense was getting on my nerves after almost 2 years :D

Also, would really like to know this as I'm getting the phone tomorrow (Wednesday).

Sure, you can reflash back to stock or any other ROM :) I flashed maybe 3-4 ROMs before sticking with Google Play Edition ROM for my HTC One M7 :)

Thank you so much for the help. I actually researched this last night before I went to bed but forgot to post it on the forum. I'm going to stick with the stock LG ROM and then maybe flash it to CM12.1 to give it a try.