loud noises coming from hard drive

gadgetguy99

I have a hard drive that i use exclusively for steam games  and lately it has been having loud clicking and buzzing noises coming from it so i dont know if its failing or if it need the fan speed to be higher on it to pass more air. its a seagate barracuda 500gb 7200 rpm drive btw.

Might be some mechanical defects.

System

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @4.5GHz - 1.230v  RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 4x4GB 2666MHz  MB: MSI X99S SLI PLUS  CASE: NZXT H440  CPU-COOLER: Fractal Design Kelvin S24  PSU: Corsair RM1000W w/ white sleeved cable kit  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR  MONITOR: LG 27GL850-B  STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2, Samsung 840 EVO 256GB,  WD Red 3TB

its dying, you should replace it

doublecheck with crystaldiskinfo

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You probably should back it up now if there's anything important on it.  More than likely it's dying.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

You probably should back it up now if there's anything important on it.  More than likely it's dying.

its just a steam drive

Might be some mechanical defects.

its ony like 3 years old but lk hard drives can fail after like a week of use too 

Hello gadgetguy99!

Summarizing what was already said, your drive is probably dying. These sounds you have described are typical for a dying HDD. It could be a mechanical failure, which softwares may not be able to pick up. Still, back up if there's anything besides the Steam games, that you don't wish to lose, check its health, you can use the manufacturer's tool for that and do a SMART test. Post the results here and research if you can RMA the drive.

Good luck! :)

CK_WD

If you think I helped, like!  :P

www.wdc.com

Hello gadgetguy99!

Summarizing what was already said, your drive is probably dying. These sounds you have described are typical for a dying HDD. It could be a mechanical failure, which softwares may not be able to pick up. Still, back up if there's anything besides the Steam games, that you don't wish to lose, check its health, you can use the manufacturer's tool for that and do a SMART test. Post the results here and research if you can RMA the drive.

Good luck! :)

CK_WD

thanks i keep all my important files on my ssd though and the drive is only steam games so i dont mind if it dies because i can just get a bigger hdd 

You're welcome! :)

Well then, that's good I suppose. You can still though check with the manufacturer to RMA the drive and get a replacement and then if you'd like, get also a bigger drive.

And if you ever keep anything important , remember to have back ups!

Cheers! :)

CK_WD

If you think I helped, like!  :P

www.wdc.com

Make a back up instantly and throw it away.  Trust me