Very Loud HDD

iamdarkyoshi

I am building a low end gaming machine for a friend (old high end core2duo business workstation) and the the hard drive is the first one I could find of a reasonable capacity, 200gb. But every time the head moves it is really loud. It also runs rather warm so I put my usual overkill HDD cooling on it. Is there something I could test it with to makensure it is not going to eat his data after a week?

Check the drive using CrystalDiskInfo.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Every time I boot it up to test another drive, it keeps getting slower and louder...

Then it's on its way out.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

HOLY BALLS I POWERED ON AN OLD 80GB SAMSCUM AND IT SAYS IT IS HEALTHY. ALMOST 45,000 HOURS. THATS 5 YEARS

I had a drive last me 10 years. It was an old IDE drive.

that amounts to 5 years of running. These came from a less than ideal cooling setup

Mine never got cooled.

I managed to find two 80gb samsung drives of the same model and they both have had around 5 years of on time and show "healthy". Should I use them? I do belive this old machine (dx4600) has a SATA RAID controller. Make them redundant? Striped? What should I do? What would be the easiest to clone later if he gets a new drive?

I managed to find two 80gb samsung drives of the same model and they both have had around 5 years of on time and show "healthy". Should I use them? I do belive this old machine (dx4600) has a SATA RAID controller. Make them redundant? Striped? What should I do? What would be the easiest to clone later if he gets a new drive?

I cannot definitively tell you the drives are okay. You might want to run some SMART tests on the drives to make sure - even then nothing is 100%. Always have a proper backup. Always.

I cannot definitively tell you the drives are okay. You might want to run some SMART tests on the drives to make sure - even then nothing is 100%. Always have a proper backup. Always.

Well the only thing on them is a new install of windows :P Should I mirror the drives? I will try to do this on my own, but iI have never setup a raid config before.

Well the only thing on them is a new install of windows

For now. I'm not going to say you "should" RAID them, but you can certainly try it. Mirroring though isn't a proper backup - if data gets removed on the usable drive, the second drive automatically follows.

For now. I'm not going to say you "should" RAID them, but you can certainly try it. Mirroring though isn't a proper backup - if data gets removed on the usable drive, the second drive automatically follows.

Well the failing drive is windows. The raid drives are empty. I am trying to set it up in the bios and the dying drive is unplugged atm

Hi there @iamdarkyoshi!

Judging by the results of the hard drive check you've run I would say that you need to replace the HDD since it's failing. So make a backup of your important data and look for a replacement drive.

As for what type of RAID to use in your machine, I would suggest to set them up in RAID 1 since it will give you some additional redundancy. However, keep in mind that this array is not a substitute for backup because there are a lot of risks that it can't protect against like:

* If you accidentally delete a file, it will instantly be removed from both mirrored copies.

* If your disk is corrupted by a software bug or virus, the corruption will be done to both mirrored copies simultaneously.

* If you're hit by a bad enough power surge, it'll probably fry both disks at the same time, etc.

Hope this helps.

Cheers! :)

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/