Do I just have a "lemon" of a video card?

kiddsupreme

So I have been trying to troubleshoot this issue for the last few days, and every time I think I have it solved, it eventually rears its head again. First a bit of background.

I recently upgraded from my 980 to a 980TI (EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+, P/N: 06G-P4-4995-KR). I originally built my computer last August, and haven't had any issues for that whole time (for specifics on what is in the system, look at my sig). I originally have a 780TI, then the 980, and now the 980TI. When I first installed the card, it booted up without issue. Went to work, then came back home ready for some gaming action when I was presented with this:

https://youtu.be/Piph5A-S0w4

Needless to say, I had never seen anything like that before. I started to try and eliminate anything ancillary -- unplugged USB devices, etc. I swapped out the power cables with new ones, moved the video card to another slot, etc. Every time, the same thing. Then, all of the sudden the issue disappeared. I thought I solved it. But of course, I went back to work and came home and was presented with the same thing again. I finally just removed the video card and plugged into the built in Intel graphics since I needed a computer to use.

I have a friend who is going to let me borrow his Geforce 760 just so I can eliminate any possibility of it being my computer. But while I wait to get my hands on the card, is there anything that I am missing? Is this just a matter I need to take up with EVGA and have them replace my card? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

RIG: CPU - Intel i7-4790K | CPU Cooler - Corsair H110 | Motherboard - Asus MAXIMUS VII FORMULA | Memory - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR3-2133 | Storage - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD /1TB SSD / WD Caviar Black 2TB | Video Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 TI FTW3 | Case - Corsair 750D | Power Supply - Corsair AX1200i | OS - Microsoft Windows 10 | Monitor - Asus PB278Q | Keyboard - K70 RGB MK.2 RAPIDFIRE CHERRY® MX Speed | Mouse - Logitech G502 | Optical Drive - Pioneer BDR-XD05 | Front Bay Controller - ASUS ROG Front Base Dual-Bay Gaming Panel | Fans - Noctua NF-A14 PWM | 

sounds like you hit all the bases, if you want extra confirmation wait on your friends 760 but you could probably go ahead with an RMA since you've tested as much as you have.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

the-right-way-to-take-videos-orientation

Edit : Remove the card and reinsert it properly. if it's a new card you just bought, it's bricked, just RMA it. my 780ti did the same thing when i bought it. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Have you tried turning it on and off again xD? No I'm serious, try turning off the power supply and turning it back on. It's fixed a few of my hardware issues in the past, and it's a quick thing you can try. Good luck!

ASU

Those dots already appear in the startup screen and when windows has loaded it crashes. That would suggest that something is wrong and uses the drivers makes it worse.

Complete shot in the dark, but have you tried a different PCI-e slot? If that does the same thing i would consider it DOA and send it back to the shop if possible.

check cables (the video cable or try using a different output 

Cables were checked, and replaced. No difference.

RIG: CPU - Intel i7-4790K | CPU Cooler - Corsair H110 | Motherboard - Asus MAXIMUS VII FORMULA | Memory - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR3-2133 | Storage - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD /1TB SSD / WD Caviar Black 2TB | Video Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 TI FTW3 | Case - Corsair 750D | Power Supply - Corsair AX1200i | OS - Microsoft Windows 10 | Monitor - Asus PB278Q | Keyboard - K70 RGB MK.2 RAPIDFIRE CHERRY® MX Speed | Mouse - Logitech G502 | Optical Drive - Pioneer BDR-XD05 | Front Bay Controller - ASUS ROG Front Base Dual-Bay Gaming Panel | Fans - Noctua NF-A14 PWM | 

Have you tried turning it on and off again xD? No I'm serious, try turning off the power supply and turning it back on. It's fixed a few of my hardware issues in the past, and it's a quick thing you can try. Good luck!

One of the first things I tried. Lost track of how many times I turned that AX1200i on and off.

Those dots already appear in the startup screen and when windows has loaded it crashes. That would suggest that something is wrong and uses the drivers makes it worse.

Complete shot in the dark, but have you tried a different PCI-e slot? If that does the same thing i would consider it DOA and send it back to the shop if possible.

The next thing I tried was moving it to another PCI-E slot. Same result.

Another thing I would try before RMAing it is booting in safe mode, uninstalling the drivers, cleaning them out with DDU (display driver uninstaller) and then reinstall the drivers.

I imagine the problem is hardware related but it is a quick and easy thing to try before you send the card back.

EVGA is fast with their RMA.  Might as well show them that and explain everything like you did in the OP.  Better yet, call their Tech support.  They may be able to expedite the RMA process.  I was about to say, use another cable to connect it.  What connection are you using?

I have a potato!

Snippity

RMA m8, your card is kill

Have you tried turning it on and off again xD

Mfw+i+work+in+a+sperm+bank+_2f84e09055d2

So I have been trying to troubleshoot this issue for the last few days, and every time I think I have it solved, it eventually rears its head again. First a bit of background.

I recently upgraded from my 980 to a 980TI (EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+, P/N: 06G-P4-4995-KR). I originally built my computer last August, and haven't had any issues for that whole time (for specifics on what is in the system, look at my sig). I originally have a 780TI, then the 980, and now the 980TI. When I first installed the card, it booted up without issue. Went to work, then came back home ready for some gaming action when I was presented with this:

https://youtu.be/Piph5A-S0w4

Needless to say, I had never seen anything like that before. I started to try and eliminate anything ancillary -- unplugged USB devices, etc. I swapped out the power cables with new ones, moved the video card to another slot, etc. Every time, the same thing. Then, all of the sudden the issue disappeared. I thought I solved it. But of course, I went back to work and came home and was presented with the same thing again. I finally just removed the video card and plugged into the built in Intel graphics since I needed a computer to use.

I have a friend who is going to let me borrow his Geforce 760 just so I can eliminate any possibility of it being my computer. But while I wait to get my hands on the card, is there anything that I am missing? Is this just a matter I need to take up with EVGA and have them replace my card? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

cards fucked. likely poor quality solder somewhere.

RMA it via the place you purchased it from and get another one (at least that's how it works in Australia)

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

RMA from EVGA came within 1 business day of me creating it -- got to appreciate the customer service. Put the new card in... and it came right up; no issues whatsoever. I have had the computer on for 3 days, and everything is still working as expected. Thanks again for all the suggestions. Appreciate it.

Glad to see this was resolved!  I've used EVGA customer service before and they are awesome.